Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

What did you buy at the liquor store today? (2013–)

• Please log in to reply
543 replies to this topic

#451 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 681 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:50 PM

A friend returning from Paris was kind enough to bring me a couple of bottles back that I had been interested in to add to my "odd and unusual" bottle collection.

Wednesday tasting 16APR14 Eddu Picon Hammer Head.JPG

The Eddu Silver and Hammer Head 23yo Czech malt were for me. The Amer Picon Club was his but he was sharing!

Unfortunately this was yesterday during one of my marathon Wednesday tastings and the old palate had been getting seriously beaten up before he arrived with Caol Ila whisky and overproof rums, not to mention a taste of the 2014 edition of the Devil's Bit.

Wednesday tasting 16APR14 rum and Caol Ila.JPG

We tried them all anyway but they deserve a chance to be tried on their own as they are both fairly light low proof whiskys.

• Rafa likes this
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

#452 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:58 PM

Dude, I think you have the envy of everyone here. Look at those Caol Ilas!!!

#453 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:57 PM

Yeah a look on wine-searcher yielded no results stateside  :sad:

ETA: "I get my stuff directly from Switzerland" is one of the more baller things said on this subforum

Oh, the glamour and amazing perks of business travel... You have no idea.

#454 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:01 PM

My most recent biz travel took me to Kuwait - A DRY COUNTRY!

#455 Czequershuus

Czequershuus
  • participating member
  • 162 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:12 PM

Thanks to lovely sale prices, I came home with a bottle of Bols Yogurt Liqueur today, as well as the sampler pack of St. George Gins. Very excited about both these purchases. 

#456 J_Ozzy

J_Ozzy
  • participating member
  • 129 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:42 PM

A trip to Calgary provided an opportunity to pick up some products that were unavailable (or significantly more expensive) in Montreal:

Cocchi Americano, George Dickel #12, Four Roses Single Barrel, Barbancourt 15, Lagavulin 16 and a 10 year old Scapa bottling.

Edit: spelling

Edited by J_Ozzy, 18 April 2014 - 11:43 PM.

#457 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:15 PM

Dorothy Parker gin - wonderful stuff. This is my first real "new generation" gin besides Bombay Sapphire (if that counts) and it's quite fantastic. I broke my non-agave $20 white spirit limit, but oh well, all in the name of scientific research.

Restock of Pheasant's Tears Saperavi - both from a store run by Georgians (read more about Pheasant's Tears here, it's seriously one of the best wines I've ever had http://weballharder....heasants-tears/ )

Edited by Hassouni, 19 April 2014 - 04:16 PM.

• Rafa likes this

#458 richl2214

richl2214
  • participating member
  • 390 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:22 AM

Never had the Black Maple Hill 16 (the one on the left), it has eluded me until now.  It should say its prayers. :)

The middle is the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection Thomas Hardy Sazerac 2013 and the right is the "run of the mill" Black Maple Hill Small Batch.

Should be an great weekend. :) 

Attached Images

• bottles.jpg

• ChrisTaylor likes this
"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

#459 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 906 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 02:01 PM

Never had the Black Maple Hill 16 (the one on the left), it has eluded me until now.  It should say its prayers. :)

The middle is the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection Thomas Hardy Sazerac 2013 and the right is the "run of the mill" Black Maple Hill Small Batch.

Should be an great weekend. :) 

I want to go to there (there being any store that has those three bottles sitting on the shelf).

Haven't seen any Black Maple Hill in the wild in a couple years (the 23 rye is one of my many white whales), and while Handy used to be available nearly the entire year 'round in places, it's been several months since I saw a bottle.

• Rafa likes this
True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

#460 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:06 AM

Beer shopping this weekend at Bottlecraft in North Park.

The Bruery Sucré 2014 anniversary ale (aged in bourbon barrels), AleSmith/Cigar City Ramblin' rye brown ale, Dogfish 90- and 60-minute IPAs, bière de garde from The Commons brewery in Portland, Olde Ale British-style ale MMXIV from AleSmith.

14096227751_94b4fc7f18_z.jpg

Some earlier shopping at Hi-Time Wine Cellars and The Mixing Glass, a new shop in Costa Mesa (book, bitters).

13372770755_d69fe8edd7_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse, 05 May 2014 - 11:08 AM.

• Hassouni and Rafa like this

#461 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:21 AM

Let us know how the book is please!

#462 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:24 AM

So far, so good, although I only read a few pages and then got distracted. I haven't tried any of the recipes yet.

#463 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:47 PM

Thanks to someone awesome, I got two bottles of Carpano Antica and some crème de violet... along with several other goodies I'm looking forward to trying.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#464 sbumgarner

sbumgarner
  • participating member
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:51 PM

We have a liquor store in my neighborhood that looks like time passed it by - random boxes everywhere, macro-brew only beer selection, hasn't been cleaned in quite some time, run by a very nice elderly couple who don't even seem to know what they have. I never see anyone go in there, and given it's prime real estate right on the nicest park in town it seems it may not be long for this world. The alcohol selection is meh for the most part, though they do have a couple of bottles of decent stuff (Rittenhouse and Bulleit Ryes, Buffalo Trace, Old Granddad, etc). However, as I walked by today this caught my eye:

https://www.flickr.c...ik/11746709673/

Based on the info on that page it must be a pre-1980 Lemon Hart 151. NY tax seal still intact. Probably old inventory they never got rid of, though given the store is in Jersey City who knows where it came from. $18. Sold.

Also noticed a bottle of Cherry Heering with a label from at least 2 labels ago, and maybe more. Didn't have enough cash to grab it (they're cash only not surprisingly) but that's on the docket.

#465 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:37 PM

Wow, that Lemon Hart is a hell of a find, and a superb price. Enjoy!

I, on the other hand, succumbing to the tacit peer pressure of the eGullet Spirits & Cocktails forum, got some Bittermens Xocolatl Mole bitters. Nice chocolatey taste up front, INTENSELY bitter finish. What the hell do they put in it??

• Rafa likes this

#466 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:50 PM

Tacit peer pressure?  That doesn't sound like us.

What's in it?  I dunno - some chocolate, a few bits of chopped up mole (with the dirt still on).

And there are heaps of things it's good for.  A modest sampling includes things like the Tres Sangres, Oaxaca Old Fashioned and Rafa's The Man Comes Around.  You have years of pleasure ahead of you.

• Rafa likes this

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#467 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:11 PM

What's in it?  I dunno - some chocolate, a few bits of chopped up mole (with the dirt still on).

And there are heaps of things it's good for.  A modest sampling includes things like the Tres Sangres, Oaxaca Old Fashioned and Rafa's The Man Comes Around.  You have years of pleasure ahead of you.

I mean, nobody twisted my arm......too hard.

I think the chopped up, fuzzy, dirty mole must indeed be what gives it that bitterness, it makes gentian and cinchona seem like candy. As for drinks, I've singled out Rafa's Santana Abraxas (different brand of bitters specified, but whatevs), which looks marvelous. 

I'm sure The Man Comes Around is lovely, but I think Fernet is Satan's piss and refuse to buy a bottle (yes, sacrilege, I know)

#468 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:29 PM

Santana Abraxas sounds good.  Added it to my list.

I'm sure The Man Comes Around is lovely, but I think Fernet is Satan's piss and refuse to buy a bottle (yes, sacrilege, I know)

You may have to work on that.  See here and, for the result, here.

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

#469 sbumgarner

sbumgarner
  • participating member
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:03 AM

https://www.flickr.c...ik/11746709673/

Based on the info on that page it must be a pre-1980 Lemon Hart 151.

I did find a few differences in mine:

1)In the Flickr version the 151 red label isn't there, on mine it is.

2)In the Flickr version the last part of the bottom line of text is "FA", mine is "BA". No idea what that means.

photo1.jpgphoto2.jpg

If anyone has any info about when they think this is from I'd be interested in hearing about it.

#470 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 632 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:09 AM

Santana Abraxas sounds good.  Added it to my list.

For months after watching the Coen brothers' A Serious Man my friend and I would yell "SANTANA ABRAXAS!" at each other. The album itself is pretty good if you're into that sort of thing.

e: I think Batavia Arrack might be more appropriate than S&C for that one. Gonna have to try it.

Edited by Rafa, 08 May 2014 - 08:09 AM.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#471 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:21 AM

I did find a few differences in mine:

1)In the Flickr version the 151 red label isn't there, on mine it is.

2)In the Flickr version the last part of the bottom line of text is "FA", mine is "BA". No idea what that means.

photo1.jpgphoto2.jpg

If anyone has any info about when they think this is from I'd be interested in hearing about it.

I can't tell you when it's from, but on most of the classic yellow label bottlings, the only difference between 151 is indicated with a red circle or triangle in the corner. Very odd that the one in flickr doesn't have one

#472 sbumgarner

sbumgarner
  • participating member
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:50 AM

I can't tell you when it's from, but on most of the classic yellow label bottlings, the only difference between 151 is indicated with a red circle or triangle in the corner. Very odd that the one in flickr doesn't have one

I found that odd too, if I hadn't seen the "151" in the bottom line of text I would have assumed he mistakenly identified an 80 as a 151.

#473 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 957 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:02 AM

Bittermens Xocolatl Mole bitters. ... What the hell do they put in it??

If you like a Boulevardiere, try a 1794.

Fernet is Satan's piss

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#474 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:47 AM

Wow, someone's been reading their China Miéville!

Just back from my trip to England with my haul: a half-bottle of Sipsmith London dry, a full bottle of Blackwood's 60% gin, a 500 ml. bottle of Nikka "From the Barrel", a 100 ml. bottle of Élixir végétal de la Grande-Chartreuse and, my pride and joy, 500 precious millilitres of Perique tobacco liqueur. So far, the Perique is the only one I've tasted, and it's definitely unique! My experience with tobacco is pretty limited, so I can't really compare, but it will be challenging and interesting to work with this product.

• Rafa and Plantes Vertes like this
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#475 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:13 AM

If you like a Boulevardiere, try a 1794.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Surely I've stated and defended that before...

#476 J_Ozzy

J_Ozzy
  • participating member
  • 129 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:41 PM

Just back from my trip to England with my haul: a half-bottle of Sipsmith London dry, a full bottle of Blackwood's 60% gin, a 500 ml. bottle of Nikka "From the Barrel", a 100 ml. bottle of Élixir végétal de la Grande-Chartreuse and, my pride and joy, 500 precious millilitres of Perique tobacco liqueur. So far, the Perique is the only one I've tasted, and it's definitely unique! My experience with tobacco is pretty limited, so I can't really compare, but it will be challenging and interesting to work with this product.

Nice, I've wanted to get my hands on some Perique for years. 

I had a conversation, years ago, with Ted Breaux about the distribution situation for Jade products in Canada. He mentioned he had someone working towards getting his absinthes onto the LCBO private order list, but I don't know if anything every came of it.

Though I didn't buy it, a cousin brought me back a bottle of Santiago de Cuba Anejo from a recent vacation. 

I'd compare it to the 12yr old expression available at the SAQ, but $100 is a little bit steep.

#477 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:33 PM

Today's collection:

20140510_141235.jpg

The Appleton 12 and Ramazzotti were to replenish stocks after a couple of Tolkiens last night (yum).  Badger Applewood is the best English cider I've found here.  And the añejo tequila was a bonus at $50-something - it's usually twice that.

• Rafa likes this

My eG Foodblog

#478 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:10 PM

The co-owner of the store here told me he finally gave up.  He and his sister are now stocking Appleton 12 on the shelf.

#479 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 681 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:38 AM

I loaned my Perique to a couple of fairly accomplished mixologists but they didn't come up with anything that was better than just drinking it neat. I have therefore resolved to drink it that way at all times and have yet to regret that decision!

The Nikka from the barrel is on my short list and I believe I have a willing mule lined up by the end of the month to bring me some from London. I intend to add the 15yo Miyagikyo to that list as well. Might as well be greedy! I have seen the 12yo Miyagikyo here in the US but have yet to lay hands on one and with this opportunity coming up figured I might as well go for the 15.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

#480 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:25 PM

I loaned my Perique to a couple of fairly accomplished mixologists but they didn't come up with anything that was better than just drinking it neat. I have therefore resolved to drink it that way at all times and have yet to regret that decision!

Interesting... I haven't had a chance to do anything with it, so I'm curious to see how it will play when mixed with spirits. I'm a bit worried that it will be easily overwhelmed; otherwise, I can certainly see it taking the place of the Benedictine in, say, a De La Louisiane.

Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara