Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

What did you buy at the liquor store today? (2013–)

• Please log in to reply
534 replies to this topic

#1 Czequershuus

Czequershuus
  • participating member
  • 161 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

[Moderator note: This topic became too large for our servers to handle, so we've divided it up; the earlier part of the discussion is here: What did you buy at the liquor store today?]

Templeton. Now that's a delicious rye. Heavy on the oak. Wonder what it'd be like in one of those New York Sazeracs: equal parts cognac and rye.

That sounds wonderful... Added to my to-do cocktail list.

Templeton is rye from what used to be the LDI and is now MGPI distillery in Lawrenceburg, Indiana who makes a ton of different distilled spirits that they sell to others for use in their own brand. Essentially the same stuff is also found in Bulleit and Redemption rye and quite possible several others. High West uses LDI rye in some of their blends.

Templeton, Bulleit and Redemption don't make any of it themselves, despite what they may claim in their marketing. It is not a bad rye mind you but between the three I would be inclined to buy the one that has the best price. My experience is that it is usually not Templeton.

The cream of the LDI crop, in my opinion, is Willett. Not only do they seem to pick the best barrels (for my taste), but they also bottle at barrel proof. I just don't see any sense in paying for the water that's in Templeton. Willett has finally laid down some of their own output, and based on what I've experienced of their palate, I'm looking forward to tasting it in a few years.

Also, the new George Dickel Rye is also LDI juice, which is charcoal filtered.

I have to agree about the Willett. Absolutely fantastic whiskey.

#2 Ashen

Ashen
  • participating member
  • 465 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

40 oz of Tanqueray since the current bottle is getting low.
"Why is the rum always gone?"
Captain Jack Sparrow

#3 campus five

campus five
  • participating member
  • 150 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

Not today, specifically, but here are the spoils of last weekend's trip to Wisconsin...

5 bottles of Wild Turkey 101 Rye, still sparsely available north of the border.

Man, good call on the WT101 Rye.
I was so bummed when I saw they lowered the proof on it.
There was a WT Rye shortage in Los Angeles preceding the change-over, so the shelves were already picked clean. Boo!

Was at one of my favorite bars in LA and ended up doing an impromptu rye-tasting.
Rittenhouse still stood out as the favorite to me. Perfectly balanced, 100pf, and reasonably priced.
Definitely beat out the Bulliet, the current WT rye, Templeton, Knob Creek.
They were experimenting with a blend of KC and WT, which to my surprise smelled and tasted overtly "corny." My guess on blind tasting it was "Mellow Corn", Heaven Hill's bonded 100% corn whiskey. There's a "peanut-y" note that I associate with high corn content. That's exactly what I got out of the new WT/KC blend, as well as the KC straight.
The Bulliet, Templeton and Willet all had a similar "high floral" note that I associate with things that are overtly "rye."
The Bulliet and templeton were similar, but the bulleit seemed even more one note, and the templeton seemed more balanced and a bit more mellowed due to age. The Willet seemed far more balanced, while still having a strong "rye floral" note.

#4 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 438 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:42 AM

Since Christmas I have picked up the following:

Bols Genever 84 Proof
Beefeater 80 Proof
Bombay Sapphire 96 Proof
Tanqueray No 10. 96 Proof
Bols Natural Yoghurt Liqueur

The Sapphire and Tanq' were presents and I didn't ask for the former so I think I have enough to last me forever!

Next on my list is a 3 litre whiskey barrel to start my barrel-aged martini experiment.

The Dead Parrot
Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Cocktails, Craft Beers, English Wines in provincial Sussex 

#5 haresfur

haresfur
  • participating member
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:50 PM

!!! I can't even imagine what this tastes like. Do tell!
It's almost never bad to feed someone.

#6 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 438 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

Like slightly sweetened, natural yoghurt!
I'm going to use it in Alexanders and flips a la Erik:

The Dead Parrot

#7 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

http://youtu.be/hlJOPS8zEZE

I don't know how I feel about this yoghurt liqueur but I really enjoyed the video. Impeccable technique.

#8 eatrustic

eatrustic
  • participating member
  • 683 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

Very happy to have scored a bottle of the Four Roses Limited Edition 2012 Small Batch Barrel Strength. How it compares to the Four Roses 2012 Limited Edition Single Barrel Bourbon I'm not sure but at this level they are all excellent.

Also a bottle of the tasty Rabarbaro Zucca Amaro.

#9 scubadoo97

scubadoo97
  • participating member
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

Very happy to have scored a bottle of the Four Roses Limited Edition 2012 Small Batch Barrel Strength. How it compares to the Four Roses 2012 Limited Edition Single Barrel Bourbon I'm not sure but at this level they are all excellent.

Also a bottle of the tasty Rabarbaro Zucca Amaro.

I have not purchased the 2012 4R Small Batch but hear it's excellent. Here is a trusted review site you may want to look at

http://recenteats.bl...dition.html?m=1

#10 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 438 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

I don't know how I feel about this yoghurt liqueur but I really enjoyed the video. Impeccable technique.

That entire series of videos is brilliant. All worth a watch. They are all drinks that Lorincz entered into World Class when he won in 2010.

I will make the drink up sometime and see what I reckon.

The Dead Parrot

#11 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 670 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

A few odds and ends over the past several days.

Recent purchases.JPG

First time i have seen Kummel in the area that I can remember. I think I will try a "Stomach Reviver" first.

1 Cognac
1 Kummel
0.75 Fernet Branca
5 dashes of Angostura

Instructions suggest shaking with ice but seems like it could be stirred. Either way it should prove interesting...

The Banks 7 Golden rum is the relatively new companion to the Banks 5 Island rum. Also picked up Oronoco rum which is from Brasil, Leopold Brothers Maryland Style Rye (which is an interesting tasting rye on the sweeter side with a nice raspberry jam kind of undertone) and Kilchoman Machir Bay whisky which is the young Islay distillery's first ongoing release. It just recently made it to Georgia.

Got the 100 proof "Hawaiian Moonshine", known locally as "Okolehao" (which means iron bottom, or more precisely bottom iron, to describe the rounded bottom iron three legged pot first used to distill the spirit in the 1790's), and the Okolehao liqueur on my recent trip to Hawaii. The liqueur is very sweet and tastes like a coconut rum (both are cane sugar based products) but the 100 proof Okolehao spirit is quite interesting. It is flavored with the root of the Ti plant and tastes a bit like a sweet tequila with an interesting vegetal component. Quite good on its own as well as a mixer. But not readily available outside of Hawaii that I know of except online (the liqueur may be in a few places in California).

The tiki possibilities seemed immediately obvious! A bartender acquaintance quickly came up with a delightful cocktail which we named "Bottoms Up".
1.5 Okolehao
0.5 St Germaine
0.5 pomegranite juice
Stir with ice and then pour over fresh ice.
Top with ginger beer (about 3-4 oz) and then squeeze a lime wedge in the drink and drop the wedge in.

We also made a Doctor Cocktail subbing the Okolehao for rum which became a Kauka Cocktail.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

#12 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

What do you think of the Banks 7? I ordered some of the 5 from overseas and really like it. Tempted to put in an order for the new kid on the block.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#13 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 670 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

What do you think of the Banks 7? I ordered some of the 5 from overseas and really like it. Tempted to put in an order for the new kid on the block.

I have only tried a small sample of it so far. I think of the Banks 5 as a mixing rum and not really a rum to drink neat. The Banks 7 has that same smokey vegetal quality imparted by the Arrack but it has been smoothed out a bit in this rum. Don't know if there is less due to the increased number of rums in the blend or if some older and sweeter rums help to smooth it out a bit. Reminds even more of a nice rhum agricole with a hint of smokiness in the background.

I would still likely use this for mixing rather than drinking on its own but if you like the 5 then I suspect you will like the 7 as well.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

#14 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 902 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

Leopold Brothers Maryland Style Rye (which is an interesting tasting rye on the sweeter side with a nice raspberry jam kind of undertone)

Do you get a bit of cocoa, as well? As a former brewer, Todd knows his malts. He said he only uses about a handful of chocolate malt in each batch of rye, but its presence is an intriguing foil for the berry fruit (apparently the result of esters that come from the secondary bacterial fermentation).

When I first tasted the Banks 7, my initial thought was that they'd taken the 5 and aged it. It had all of the characteristics I associate with the 5, but mellowed a touch and rounded by age. Clearly that's not what they've done here, but I think it's still a way to think about it if you've had the 5 and are wondering if you'd like the 7.
True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

#15 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 670 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

Leopold Brothers Maryland Style Rye (which is an interesting tasting rye on the sweeter side with a nice raspberry jam kind of undertone)

Do you get a bit of cocoa, as well? As a former brewer, Todd knows his malts. He said he only uses about a handful of chocolate malt in each batch of rye, but its presence is an intriguing foil for the berry fruit (apparently the result of esters that come from the secondary bacterial fermentation).

When I first tasted the Banks 7, my initial thought was that they'd taken the 5 and aged it. It had all of the characteristics I associate with the 5, but mellowed a touch and rounded by age. Clearly that's not what they've done here, but I think it's still a way to think about it if you've had the 5 and are wondering if you'd like the 7.

Didn't really pick up a chocolate malt undertone but the raspberry jam taste Todd noted as being from those esters is very noticeable even to my palate.

I think your description of the Banks 7 is a good one. All it really needs is more proof.

~tanstaafl2

#16 haresfur

haresfur
  • participating member
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

My mule arrived successfully from the US. Barbancourt 5* rum, 40 Creek barrel select Canadian whiskey, Four Roses single barrel bourbon, and 1800 reposado tequilla. That should keep me sipping for a while. Haven't broken into them yet - I'm on a mission to hook my niece and boyfriend on Campari - I think it will serve her well in life.
It's almost never bad to feed someone.

#17 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

Nice choices.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#18 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

Got the 100 proof "Hawaiian Moonshine", known locally as "Okolehao" (which means iron bottom, or more precisely bottom iron, to describe the rounded bottom iron three legged pot first used to distill the spirit in the 1790's), and the Okolehao liqueur on my recent trip to Hawaii. The liqueur is very sweet and tastes like a coconut rum (both are cane sugar based products) but the 100 proof Okolehao spirit is quite interesting. It is flavored with the root of the Ti plant and tastes a bit like a sweet tequila with an interesting vegetal component. Quite good on its own as well as a mixer. But not readily available outside of Hawaii that I know of except online (the liqueur may be in a few places in California).

Thanks for reminding me about the okolehao. I have a bottle of the liqueur that I use in tiki drinks, including one that I think is in Remixed - the Polynesian Paralysis. It's really flavorful/funk. I don't remember a coconut taste though, I will have to check.

#19 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 670 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

Thanks for reminding me about the okolehao. I have a bottle of the liqueur that I use in tiki drinks, including one that I think is in Remixed - the Polynesian Paralysis. It's really flavorful/funk. I don't remember a coconut taste though, I will have to check.

I will be curious to hear what you think. It would certainly work in tiki-dom. But it is quite sweet and if not coconut then some sort of tropical fruit taste.

But I definitely thought the new Okolehao 100 proof spirit to be a superior concoction although I can only presume it is much closer to the what the true okolehao would have tasted like.

~tanstaafl2

#20 Iheartnegronis

Iheartnegronis
  • participating member
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

Hey guys, new member her. Long time cocktail experimenter/drinker but I'm new...

Here's what I've recently picked up. Two great local products. Whiskey and Gin and a very tasty Swedish Punch!

Posted Image

Edited by Iheartnegronis, 18 January 2013 - 09:30 PM.

#21 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

Nice selection, and welcome to eGullet from another Negroni fan!

From the photo, it looks like you already made a dent in your supplies! What cocktail(s) did you make with the white dog? I have a small bottle that I haven't used yet.

#22 Iheartnegronis

Iheartnegronis
  • participating member
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

Nice selection, and welcome to eGullet from another Negroni fan!

From the photo, it looks like you already made a dent in your supplies! What cocktail(s) did you make with the white dog? I have a small bottle that I haven't used yet.

HA yes, my house is filled with Gin fans so that was dented rather quickly.

So I have not yet come up with something I really like for the white dog but it reminded me of a Pisco or Grappa in an odd way. So I tried making a Sour with it.

White Dog, Lemon Juice, simple syrup and a little Harlequin then used an egg white to froth it up a bit. It was pretty good but I think I can do better...just not sure what to do with it yet.

#23 Yojimbo

Yojimbo
  • participating member
  • 150 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

White Dog, though rather in fashion with distillers right now (it's the first thing a small craft distiller can start selling, natch!), can be tough to mix with -- if it's a good brand, you don't want to overwhelm the fresh grain taste, but you often need to soften it a bit. Maybe it's time someone started a White Dog thread?

I finally found a source for Appleton V/X and am excited to start using it in tiki drinks and two spirit cocktails -- it's kind of like Demerara's younger, smoother cousin, and like many rums a good buy for the price.
"The thirst for water is a primitive one. Thirst for wine means culture, and thirst for a cocktail is its highest expression."

Pepe Carvalho, The Buenos Aires Quintet by Manuel Vazquez Montalban

#24 richl2214

richl2214
  • participating member
  • 390 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

Posted Image

Lucked out today. Very very happy. Havent seen Van Winkle Rye ever in my life.
"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

#25 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

White Dog, though rather in fashion with distillers right now (it's the first thing a small craft distiller can start selling, natch!), can be tough to mix with -- if it's a good brand, you don't want to overwhelm the fresh grain taste, but you often need to soften it a bit. Maybe it's time someone started a White Dog thread?

Good idea - I just revived the White Dog thread.

#26 J_Ozzy

J_Ozzy
  • participating member
  • 129 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

Lucked out today. Very very happy. Havent seen Van Winkle Rye ever in my life.

Oh my. I am feeling a little envy.

#27 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 438 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

My nightcap was a wee dram of the Twenty Year Old. I'd love to try more in the range, but unfortunately even that is on at least a one month back order.

Well done.

The Dead Parrot

#28 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

DSCN0899.jpg

My haul from San Francisco. All things I can't get at home in Canada.

#29 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

Very nice Kerry! Looking forward to seeing what you do with them.
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#30 elix

elix
  • participating member
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

I had my first Pappy at a bar last night, a glass of 15yo neat. It didn't disappoint at all. Too bad it's so hard to get a hold of.