Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Fried then Braised (Steamed)/Basted Hamburger

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Bacino

Paul Bacino
  • participating member
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:50 AM

Yesterday,

I was just messing around late , after  my soccer game, and wanted a hamburger.  I took some seasoned  ground chuck ..made a  couple patties.. placed them in a saute' pan with a little EVOO.. fried one side, flipped added in one plum tomato, knob of butter, slpash of water.  It came about 1/4 way up the hamburger cover steamed and then removed the top reduced and basted the burger to finish.  Actually quite happy with the result.. the juices that extruded  and reduced with the cooked plum tomato , hamburger seasoning, and butter make a great sauce.. it was quite juicy and flavortful.

Another option possible?

Just though I put it out their.

Good Day  Paul Bacino

Its good to have Morels

#2 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,627 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

I sometimes do the opposite, like you would do with pot stickers.

Steam/braise first, then as the liquid dissipates, the meat/pot stickers begin to fry and brown.

You don't end up with a sauce, though, using this method.

Thanks for sharing your method.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”
– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

#3 Mark Donnelly

Mark Donnelly
  • legacy participant
  • 175 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

You mean you actually pan cooked the patty!  I'm appalled you didn't sous vide it for 96 days then flash-deep fry in oil extracted from kelp found 300m undersea.

#4 Syzygies

Syzygies
  • participating member
  • 269 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

You're reminding me of the first recipe I ever worked out for myself. After negotiations, I was allowed to cook my own dinner if an incompetent babysitter was coming over. I made a kind of "risotto" (didn't know the word) from rice and canned cream of mushroom soup. In another pan (Revere Ware, with that thin copper gesture to the cooking gods) I first fried then steamed (lid on) a cheeseburger. I had never been exposed to a hamburger cooked any way besides very well done, and this was at least juicier. Then I stacked the result as a kind of "skyscraper food" (again, didn't know the word) and I was very pleased with myself.

My next recipe was more ambitious: An omelette with blueberries and Worcestershire sauce. My dad loved to remind me that I couldn't keep it down.

Per la strada incontro un passero che disse "Fratello cane, perche sei cosi triste?"
Ripose il cane: "Ho fame e non ho nulla da mangiare."

#5 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

I've never done that for a burger that I was going to eat on a bun but my mom used to do a variation of that when we were kids. She'd brown the burger patties in a hot pan, take them out and cook down some onions and bell peppers, then she'd add garlic and canned diced tomatoes with their juice and whatever seasonings she used. She'd put the burger patties back in, put a lid on and let it simmer for while. We ate the burgers and sauce on rice.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#6 Dignan

Dignan
  • participating member
  • 550 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:48 PM

Man v food visited a place, i want to say in Rhode island, where they completely steamed the cheeseburgers, in a special set up. As you might expect, they were described as juicy.

Edited by Dignan, 26 February 2013 - 06:49 PM.

#7 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

Frying, then steaming, cheeseburgers, is the classic old-school slider method:

http://aht.seriousea...new-jersey.html

#8 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,818 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:54 PM

White Castle!

#9 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

You mean you actually pan cooked the patty!  I'm appalled you didn't sous vide it for 96 days then flash-deep fry in oil extracted from kelp found 300m undersea.

Thanks for this.

#10 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:01 PM

White Castle!

But of course. grew up on these.