Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Melted Chocolate Weight to Volume Calculation

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 korhan

korhan
  • participating member
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:12 AM

Hi eveyone,

Is there a simple way of accurate calculation of melted chocolate's weight to volume? I simply use 1/1, 1 gr to 1 cm3 bu I think it is a little bit different what I do. For example if I prepare 400 gr. of ganache I use 20*10*2 cm (400 cm3) frame to pour.

Thanks.

#2 Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock
  • society donor
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:56 AM

It's going to vary by type/manufacturer, more specifically by the split.

#3 korhan

korhan
  • participating member
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

Hmmm, so it should be measured for every type of ganache, right? There ise no approximate ratio like 1.25/1 or 1/1?

#4 Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock
  • society donor
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:23 PM

Yeah, because every manufacturer offers products whose solids/fat ratio is completely different.

#5 IndyRob

IndyRob
  • participating member
  • 834 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:18 PM

WolframAlpha lists the density of (milk) chocolate at 0.71 g/cm3.  There's a drop down box where you can choose from among many brands, but these seem to take their data from the nutritional information data which doesn't provide the volume measurement necessary to calculate density.

#6 Jim D.

Jim D.
  • society donor
  • 269 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

It's too bad there isn't an easy way to calculate the volume--for the simple reason that, in three recent cases, from recipes from two expert chocolatiers, the volume of the ganache has not matched the size of the frame specified. That is to say, the author may call for a 12" x 12" x 1/2" frame, and the ganache resulting from the recipe doesn't fill up the frame (it doesn't matter so much when the recipe exceeds the dimensions, but I haven't had that happen). But I don't see any solution except to calculate the volume of the frame and then pour the ganache into a measuring cup. There are conversion calculators on the web--for example, to determine how many fluid ounces it takes to fill up x number of cubic inches/centimeters.

#7 Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock
  • society donor
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:58 PM

Even when dealing with one manufacturer, there are often a dozen or more types produced. Many make chips designed for cookies, baking bars, and several grades of couveture per type of chocolate. Every one of these will have a different split.

#8 Edward J

Edward J
  • participating member
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:56 PM

I usually make a recipie, slab it, and note if it fills a 12 x 12 frame. If it does, how much is left over? I calculate how much of a percentage this is and next batch I adjust accordingly. 5-7% excess is acceptable

#9 korhan

korhan
  • participating member
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:21 AM

thanks for the answers...

So I need to recalculate my recipes if I change the type of couverture.

#10 Mjx

Mjx

Senior Host

• host
  • 6,211 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:31 AM

If you know/calculate the cubic capacity of your tray, and you have have an accurate measuring container (e.g. marked lab beaker), you can then translate the milliletres into cubic inches or centimetres (e.g. 50 mL = 50 cc/3.051 cubic inches). From the two measurements, you can determine how the chocolate is going to fit into the tray.

You can you use this conversion calculator: http://www.onlinecon...ume_cooking.htm

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Senior Host, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#11 korhan

korhan
  • participating member
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:47 AM

thanks Mjx...