Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Knock Boxes: What Are You Using?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Mjx

Mjx
  • manager
  • 6,386 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

I'm on the lookout for a knock box (or something that will work as one), since the pretty little wooden box my boyfriend made for this purpose has succumbed to a combination of violent blows and pesistent humidity (I was not surprised).

Given the fairly hefty pounding these things are subjected to, sturdy construction seems like a must, but since I'm having a lot of trouble finding these in shops, I've been looking online, and am a little concerned, since you can't tell from images whether or not they're well made; the couple I've actually seen in person looked a litttle flimsy/prone to tipping over.

So, I'd love to hear about any units you particularly recommend (or would warn against, for that matter).

Also, anyone using something that is not a dedicated knock box, which has turned out to be a great solution?

Thanks!

M.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#2 weinoo

weinoo
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,548 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

Here's mine...

grindenstein.jpg

Here it is new.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

#3 nickrey

nickrey
  • society donor
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

I use the same type.

Edited by nickrey, 21 February 2013 - 01:54 PM.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four.
Unless there are three other people." Orson Welles
My eG Foodblog

#4 Edward J

Edward J
  • participating member
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

1/4  size  shallow insert (the kind you see in salad bars, but s/s) with a 1/2" dia. steel bar bolted into either end and this is covered with a length of garden hose.  The insert sits in a heavy box I made with leftover Beech wood scraps from the counter tops. 

I should post a pic, but I have trouble posting pics with this site.

#5 Mjx

Mjx
  • manager
  • 6,386 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:18 AM

Following a conversation with my boyfriend (which anyone seeing from a distance would have interpreted as my giving him the bad news that he had a day and a half to live, and would feel queasy and itchy the entire time), it seems like a designated knock box is not going to happen, but at the mention of a stainless steel insert, he perked up again. Clearly, a metal drill and carpentry need to be involved.

Edward J, would you mind having a go at posting an image of yours?

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#6 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:51 AM

this will not appeal to your BF, as it does not involve the Home Workshop, a vital place indeed:

I use 1 - 2 yogurt containers, 2, stacked in side one another if on the thin side, one if of the thicker variety.

you tap the rim 'just right', but no show-stopper for Home and Gardens.

#7 weinoo

weinoo
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,548 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:38 AM

Following a conversation with my boyfriend (which anyone seeing from a distance would have interpreted as my giving him the bad news that he had a day and a half to live, and would feel queasy and itchy the entire time), it seems like a designated knock box is not going to happen, but at the mention of a stainless steel insert, he perked up again. Clearly, a metal drill and carpentry need to be involved.

Why do you even discuss this stuff with him  :cool: ?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

#8 glepore

glepore
  • participating member
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:54 AM

I use a six pan with a rubber bar-the garden hose over a bolt would work as well-that actually sits in a cutout in the counter top next to the machine-extreme, but effective.

#9 Mjx

Mjx
  • manager
  • 6,386 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:37 AM

Why do you even discuss this stuff with him  :cool: ?

Deeply conditioned democratic reflex? Grotesque delusions regarding my persuasive abilities?

We're looking at stainless 1/6 pans, and he has this eager gleam in his eye. I'm searching for a ready-made knock box that closely resembles an insert.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#10 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:20 AM

Im sure you looked at amazon:

http://www.amazon.co...words=knock box

and

http://www.amazon.co...words=knock box

im sure the later link will give him a few ideas and keep him out of your hair for a few hours

:biggrin:

#11 catdaddy

catdaddy
  • participating member
  • 222 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:13 AM

Thank you, Mjx. I just had to clean blueberry smoothie off my computer.

#12 Crouton

Crouton
  • participating member
  • 184 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

Have you tried just a standard steam table insert with a bar?

http://content.costc...uct/370554b.jpg

#13 Edward J

Edward J
  • participating member
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:02 PM

In my above post I described using a 1/4 insert with a bar, (and covered with a piece of garden hose) Glepore describes using a 1/6 pan.

#14 mukki

mukki
  • participating member
  • 479 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:25 PM

Here's mine...

attachicon.gifgrindenstein.jpg

Here it is new.

That's the one I use, as well. I like the fact that the entire unit can go in the dishwasher.