Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Roasting Frozen Vegetables

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:22 AM

I use a fair amount of frozen vegetables such as broccoli and cauliflower.  I was wondering if such vegetables can be roasted with good results, and, if so, might there be some special techniques to use? Thanks!

... Shel

.... Shel

#2 weinoo

weinoo
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,396 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:57 AM

The only way to know is to try it, I guess.  I would imagine that there would be some loss of texture, since the vegetables are most likely blanched before they are frozen.  And there might be some more liquid that leeches out of them.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

#3 Lora

Lora
  • participating member
  • 98 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:26 AM

I have done it with moderate success. I fully thaw and drain them so they are fairly dry. Then I use a temperature on the high end of the range I would use for fresh.

#4 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

I have done it with moderate success. I fully thaw and drain them so they are fairly dry. Then I use a temperature on the high end of the range I would use for fresh.

I was thinking that getting the veggies very dry would be a key.  Desides draining them, additional drying, such as with a towel, might help. 

What prompted you to try roasting frozen veggies?  In my case, I'm away from home a lot at irregular intervals, and fresh vegetables sometimes have a tendency to be in bad shape by the time I get around to cooking them, so there's plenty of frozen around.

.... Shel

#5 Lora

Lora
  • participating member
  • 98 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

I never met a veggie that wasn't vastly improved by roasting or sauteing, so that's how I tend to cook all my veggies. When I was tempted by the price of organic frozen broccoli at Costco, I decided to give it a whirl. I found that the results were not as good as fresh, but definitely good enough to make it worth buying that broccoli, especially in the winter!

#6 longroper

longroper
  • participating member
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

I dump green beans straight out of the freezer onto a sheet pan to roast.  They're fine.  Crispier than fresh, for sure.  I like them.

#7 sigma

sigma
  • participating member
  • 304 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

Why don't you just use fresh vegetables?

#8 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

Why don't you just use fresh vegetables?

I'm away from home a lot at irregular intervals, and fresh vegetables are sometimes in bad shape by the time I get around to cooking them, so there's plenty of frozen around.

Edited by Shel_B, 21 February 2013 - 03:00 PM.

.... Shel