Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Want to Work Pastry & Baking in France – Advice?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 johnson0427

johnson0427
  • participating member
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

Hello, I am cook who currently works in a fine dinning restaurant that has been cooking savory for well over 7 years.  Recently I have taking over the bread department at my restaurant and have really taken on a liking for the art of baking and wish to pursue it further.  I wish to got to Paris in hopes of taking on a stage for at least 3 months to try and learn form the masters of bread.   Currently I am planning a vacation to paris to see the bread first hand and hopefully establish a contact(s).  My hopes are to work over there once I am finished at my current job and wanted to ask for advice on how to secure a stage.  

The questions I have are as follows:

- What is the best way to talk to the french on my vacation in order to make this happen?

- What do I need to know about Visas and how to attain one?

- Advice on what Boulangeries to check out?

Currently I can read french and speak on a very basic level and have a beginning knowledge on bread baking.

Please feel free to respond with any advice you can offer.

Thank you