Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

One meal in LA - foodie and non-foodie mix

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mithril

Mithril
  • participating member
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:33 AM

My parents will be picking me up at LAX at about noon on a Friday, and we will be spending some hours in LA before heading out to Palm Desert. They are on-a-budget retirees who won't let me buy a meal for them. Any thoughts on an interesting late lunch/early dinner place that is easy on the wallet? I would like to try something that is really well done or something that I can't get in New England if possible. My mom can't handle spicy, but will be ok if there are some mild foo options for her.

We haven't pinned down exactly where in LA we will be going. My mom suggested a bus your of Venice Beach, and I would be interested in visiting a big Farmers Market if available.

#2 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,919 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

Suzanne Goin's AOC is a good place that is heavy on the Californian ingredients. It has a small plate menu that is fun to share. Great wine selection as well.

#3 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:06 AM

Where did you end up going? I haven't been in LA in 20 years so my old favorites are either probably long gone or decrepit. although I should have thought of the Apple Pan in West L.A. which is a unique experience and has excellent burgers, shakes and pies. I'm told it's still there and still good. Sorry I forgot!