Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Blis fish sauce

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Franci

Franci
  • participating member
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

I have a bottle of Blis fish sauce. It tastes so different than the regular red boat fish sauce, very smoky. I need some brainstroming! Lately I don't feel very creative and I'm always short of time, so, I'd like to use it in a simple way and so to take advantage of it.

Thanks!

#2 Alex

Alex
  • participating member
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

I can't help you (yet) with this, but thanks for posting. It's a limited release, so I had no idea it existed. The BLiS main office is a short drive from my house, so I think I know where I'll be going next week. You might try calling or emailing them for suggestions. Steve Stallard, the owner, always has been helpful and courteous when I've spoken with him.
Gene Weingarten, writing in The Washington Post about online news stories and their readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"A vasectomy might cost as much as a year’s worth of ice cream, but that doesn’t mean it’s equally enjoyable." -Ezra Dyer, NY Times

#3 LindaK

LindaK
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,874 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

When I asked about using fish sauce in non-Asian cuisines, folks shared some interesting ideas, check it out.

This product sounds interesting, let us know what you think of it.

#4 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

When I asked about using fish sauce in non-Asian cuisines, folks shared some interesting ideas, check it out.

This product sounds interesting, let us know what you think of it.

Interesting thread you link to. Yes, I also concur that you just use fish sauce anywhere you want a umami kick and a sort-of "like if you wanted anchovies" situation. That means many situations. :-)

Maybe the OP or other folks might want to experiment with this "smoky fish sauce" with trying to recreate that very nice green beans dish (one of the most popular) at Girl & The Goat in Chicago... When I first had it, sitting at one of the two "kitchen bar" two-seater spaces [those who have gone there will know what I mean] I specifically asked the line cooks there what went into the really nice sauce for it and one of the components mentioned was fish sauce. :-)

Personally, if I had a bottle of this smoky fish sauce one of the first things I would try it out with would be a Cæsar salad.

Edited by huiray, 15 February 2013 - 08:28 PM.

#5 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 4,674 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:30 AM

ive been using fish sauce for caesar salad for a long time. it seems to me that this one, with a touch of smokiness is well worth a try. Id love to hear about that!

#6 Franci

Franci
  • participating member
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:49 AM

Meanwhile, thanks everybody, I'll try the caesar salad to start. So far I tried to sub it to regular fish sauce in Momofuku roasted brussel sprouts but I should have used a very small amout of fish sauce because it was too salty and smoky for me. If anybody starts playing around with it, I'll keep my ears open!

#7 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 4,674 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:05 AM

ditto the Caesar Id bet. this was mentioned in the NYTimes when the 50 (degree) Red Boat was mentioned in a thread here recently:

http://redboatfishsa...t&product_id=53

it took me a while to realize these two are made by the same company.

Edited by rotuts, 16 February 2013 - 09:30 AM.