Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

The Next Big Thing – In Vegetables, Anyway

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 weinoo

weinoo
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:47 AM

We dine out frequently, which I suppose when one lives in NYC, exposes us to the beginnings of food trends as chefs start using ingredients until, well, we're sick of them.

That being said, we've been through the brussels sprouts wars and if I see (saw?) kale on one more menu, I'm probably going to scream. Now you can't turn around without cauliflower rearing it's fairly lovely head.

But I'm wondering what's going to be next? Since the brassica family seems to be high on everyone's list, and since it's a fairly affordable commodity, my bet is on cabbage.

Yours?
Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

#2 HungryC

HungryC
  • participating member
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:01 AM

Oh Lord, won't something please replace kale and/or chard? I love both, but enough already. I vote for the baby green lima as the next trendy thing. It has the similar "I hated it in childhood so let me overuse it now" appeal as Brussels sprouts.

#3 catdaddy

catdaddy
  • participating member
  • 215 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:35 AM

Maybe Nappa cabbage. It's good raw, cooked, fermented, and has that Asian cachet.

#4 Baselerd

Baselerd
  • participating member
  • 455 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:27 AM

I've been noticing kohlrabi at trendy places more and more. Same with beets.

But with that said I will still eat brussels sprouts and kale any chance I get...

#5 Charcuterer

Charcuterer
  • participating member
  • 157 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

Maybe it's the time of the year but I am seeing Parsnips and Celery root more now than ever before. Perhaps one of those could me the new It Veg.

#6 Reignking

Reignking
  • participating member
  • 600 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

Romanesco?

#7 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

Yeah, I was walking home via Chinatown yesterday and there was tons of kohlrabi. Any great ideas on what to do with it?

Beets have long since passed their next big thing era.
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog

#8 Baselerd

Baselerd
  • participating member
  • 455 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

I believe it's really tasty fresh. I've also had some good pureed kohlrabi soups (vichyssoise).

Edited by Baselerd, 06 February 2013 - 03:08 PM.

#9 heidih

heidih
  • 10,649 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

Yeah, I was walking home via Chinatown yesterday and there was tons of kohlrabi. Any great ideas on what to do with it?

This kohlrabi topic has some interesting ideas

#10 PSmith

PSmith
  • participating member
  • 170 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

One veg I love, but you rarely see in the shops or restaurants is something we call "purple sprouting". I grow it, and I am hoping to pick my first harvest of the season this weekend.
It is similar to broccoli, but has a more spinach like taste. It could become fashionable because of its rarity.

Runner beans are also a great vegetable that I have never seen in restaurants. They are available in supermarkets, but are usually picked when they are too large.

http://www.thecriticalcouple.co.uk

Latest blog post - Oh my - someone needs a spell checker

#11 Beebs

Beebs
  • participating member
  • 671 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

I hope it's rutabaga.  Rutabaga is my new favourite vegetable.

#12 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

Why?

mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog

#13 Heartsurgeon

Heartsurgeon
  • participating member
  • 257 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

Peruvian corn....frozen, and dried.

humungous kernels the size of your thumb. Very flavorful if prepared right (i cook the frozen kernels at 15 PSI for 10 minutes in a pressure cooker).

the dried version can be "popped" and seasoned for bespoke bar food.

#14 IowaDee

IowaDee
  • participating member
  • 100 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

Isn't that the source of corn nuts? Used to love those things but now I'd be worried about breaking
my teeth on them!

#15 Beebs

Beebs
  • participating member
  • 671 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

Why?

Why I hope it's the next big thing?  Or why it's my new favourite? :wink:

It's my new fave because I never cooked rutabaga till I got a giant one in my fall CSA box - never bought it before, didn't know what to do with it.  Did some googling and roasted one half of the thing, save the other for something else (it was really big, had to use a cleaver).  Oh Em Gee - it was a revelation, sweet, delicious, flavourful.  The other half, mashed it with a potato & cream - yum!  I thought of it because I made a curry coconut soup with chunks of rutabaga for last night's dinner.  It's so versatile & keeps a long time, too.

I hope rutabaga gets its 15 mins in the spotlight, because there seems to be a trend for funny, weird, uncool veg that people normally/traditionally turn up their noses at, to have a moment of coolness.  Like brussel sprouts and beets and turnips (none of which I'd turn my nose up at!).  Go, Mighty Rutabaga!!

#16 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 989 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:47 AM

Beebs, maybe rutabaga is the next big thing! I recently got some (for the first time in years), cut it up in chunks and roasted with olive oil and salt. It was delicious, creamy and soft with a warm, sweet flavor. Really enjoyed it and the husband and kid begged me to make it again.

#17 Alex

Alex
  • participating member
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

Kolhrabi is so 20 years ago.

Gene Weingarten, writing in The Washington Post about online news stories and their readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"A vasectomy might cost as much as a year’s worth of ice cream, but that doesn’t mean it’s equally enjoyable." -Ezra Dyer, NY Times

#18 OliverB

OliverB
  • participating member
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

Kohlrabi is my new "discovery" since a booth owned by - I believe - Korean farmers now carries it. Nice little small ones. I haven't eaten it in decades, have to ask my mom how she made it (cooked somehow with some sauce). So far I've bought nice small ones and peeled them and julienned them (with a mandolin), did the same with a green apple. Sprinkle with good vinegar (sherry or something nice and fruity) to keep the apple from going brown, then just add what ever I have in salad leaves. Makes for a great crunchy salad! Add blue or other cheese, nuts, croutons. Really a nice fresh crunchy salad!

I rarely go out for dinner - cooking is way more fun to me than going out and I don't have to get a sitter for the kids, so I can't chime in on what's new and hot in the Bay Area right now, but if there were a dish with kohlrabi I'd give it a shot for sure!

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"
- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog