Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Pointers to develop apple mousse with albumin

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bojana

Bojana
  • participating member
  • 216 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:57 AM

I want to create apple mouse from the juiced Granny Smith apples, then mix juice with albumin to get the apple foam, add sugar, then gelatin and then fold cream.

I'd start from the recipe from sosa.cat for albumin based lemon meringue:

125 gr lemon juice
250 gr sugar
11 gr albumin

I will adjust the sugar down because apple juice is less acidic than lemon. I do not have too much time to experiment so I would be grateful for general guidelines on proportions between sugar, cream, juice and gelatin.

I suspect I also need to add some citric or malic acid to prevent the juice from browning. I'd prefer to use malic acid, are any reasons to use citric acid here rather than malic?

Thanks in advance

#2 Mjx

Mjx

Senior Host

• host
  • 6,243 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:11 AM

As long as you were lowring the pH to the same degree, it doesn't seem that it would make a difference which acid you used (this is off the top of my head; I may be quite wrong).
You might also want to use honey in place of some of your sugar (unless the flavour would be an issue); a recent issue of Cook's Illustrated noted that there is a compound in honey that effectively (i.e. as per their tests) keeps apples from browning.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Senior Host, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#3 HQAntithesis

HQAntithesis
  • participating member
  • 146 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:44 AM

That would make a very light mousse it would seem. Also, due to the lack of egg yolks and fat (explanation later), the flavour may not sit on the palate long.

Try:
400g apple juice (30-50% gives a good apple flavour)
45g sugar
550g cream
10g gelatin
- Egg white powder as needed
- Acid as needed

Normally, it'd be worth mentioning that, because apple juice isn't a viscous liquid, you'd want to wait till it's really starting to jellify before adding the whipped cream. In this case, it may not be as important unless you were really trying to maximise the volume.

This mousse would technically count as a low fat mousse (approximately 17.5% of it being fat). Due to this, and the lack of any emulsifiers (normally coming from egg yolks) - the flavour and creamy texture won't sit on the tongue much longer than the actual mousse does.

Edited by HQAntithesis, 08 February 2013 - 05:46 AM.

#4 Bojana

Bojana
  • participating member
  • 216 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

Thank you, I will be trying it very soon!