Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

How to chose a thermometer for sous vide cooking?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ilya Zhiltsov

Ilya Zhiltsov
  • participating member
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:21 AM

Hi guys,

I'm choosing a thermometer for my sous vide setup and was wondering if you could help me to select between these two:

1. SPER SCIENTIFIC

Posted Image

2. TW8060 TWO-CHANNEL THERMOCOUPLE WITH ALARM

Posted Image

which one would be more precise? Or would you recommend something else?

#2 David Sundstrom

David Sundstrom
  • participating member
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:47 AM

I have both units. I won't comment on the accuracy as the specs are posted on both sites and I haven't independently verified them.

The Sper unit is a little more ergonomic but the probes it comes with are not useful, nor are any of the accessory probes from Sper Direct useful. It is not backlit as the photo suggests. I've been trying to return one and can't get them to respond to my emails.

With Thermoworks, you get a much better selection of probes that are suited for cooking and the service has been great. You might just give them a call.

#3 Ilya Zhiltsov

Ilya Zhiltsov
  • participating member
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

With Thermoworks, you get a much better selection of probes that are suited for cooking and the service has been great. You might just give them a call.

ok, thanks. i'll go with Thermoworks