Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Smoked herring - AKA Blind Robins, Kippers, etc.

Breakfast

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 loki

loki
  • participating member
  • 93 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

I bought two containers of what I thought were kippers. However, I did not really know how to serve them. I've found them before labelled as such - years ago in Moab, Utah of all places. When I got them home they were sort of mistreated on tranit and I never really put them to use. I love English breakfasts and enjoyed them when I was in the UK (really had them more in Scotland). There were kippers and I seem to remember them warmed up and pretty tasty. When I do a search now, however what I find is that kipppers are a specific kind of smoked herring - split and smoked and pretty much ready to eat. What I bought were mostly skinned and sort of filleted (lots of little bones remain - so really they are just one side of the fish, without most of the skin). They are also extremely salty. They look like what are called "blind robins" when I do a search for images. I can't really imagine anyone eating them as a snack as is though. I can eat anchovies - canned ones in oil, not the ones packed in salt - so I know about eating salty fish. These are much more extreme. They also don't seem dry enough for this use. I soaked a few in milk, and they got soft and seem much more edible, though not just soaked in milk... I'm still wondering what to do next with them. Here are my questions:

How to use these?

I bought these in an Asian market. How would they be used in Asian cuisine (most of the clientèle are originally Laotian, Cambodian, or Vietnamese)?

Can I get real Kippers (not kipper snacks) - in a small city in the US, not near any coast?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Breakfast