Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Red wine butter mousse, or how to reheat butter-mounted sauces?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 demo

demo
  • participating member
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:38 AM

AKA cooking by accident.

I had leftover red wine sauce, made from glaced onions reduced with stock and wine, reduced a lot, and mounted with butter, a lot of butter. In the fridge it looked like red butter. I heated it in a pan, I whisked on low heat, but the sauce broke.

"Let's start again", so i started to cool it down, I put the pan in a larger pan with cold water, and whisked quite heavily to speed up the cooling. Suddenly I was had lovely red wine butter mousse/chantilly. I served it with duck breast, a bit unfamiliar in the beginning, but very good.

What should I have done to reheat the sauce successfully? (And is there a name for what I made?)

#2 Baselerd

Baselerd
  • participating member
  • 454 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:22 AM

You can always add an emulsifier to prevent the sauce from breaking. I think even xanthan gum can go a long ways to help.

#3 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

The original sauce sounds more or less like a beurre rouge (that is, the red-wine version of a beurre blanc), which I think it pretty widely assumed to be unreheatable without some magic powders; Modernist Cuisine at Home recommends a combination of xanthan gum and liquid soy lecithin. As for your mousse, I think I would just call it a flavoured whipped butter!
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#4 sigma

sigma
  • participating member
  • 304 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

Cut it into pieces, bring a tablespoon of water to a boil and whisk it into the hot water.

#5 demo

demo
  • participating member
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:42 AM

Cut it into pieces, bring a tablespoon of water to a boil and whisk it into the hot water.

Yes, this was what I planned on doing, make a new sauce with the old one as the "butter".

I haven't thought of it as similar to buerre blanc, there is more liquid left before mounting in this red version of mine, but perheps not enough to make a sigificant difference.

I the future it will be either red wine flavoured whipped butter, or modern emulsifiers for the reheat. Will I have to have the emulsifiers in before I cool it the first time, or will I be able to whisk it in as I reheat?