Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Tart suggestions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pistolabella

pistolabella
  • participating member
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

So I've been trapped in doors for 24 hours due to this totally bizarre Tennessee Ice Storm going on, and I've been cooking to stay sane. Not usually a baker, I'd like to make a tart and definitely need some suggestions! I have one of the 9 inch tart pans w/ a removable bottom (never been used). My ingredients are limited because I didn't prepare for the storm to be this serious. I have a refrigerated pie crust. I have graham cracker crumbs. I have butter, milk, all the sugars & flours, cocoa powder, lemons, blackberries, peanut butter, and grapefruit. I don't have bar chocolate, heavy cream, or any other fruits. I'd love to hear some suggestions of what I can whip up with some of the ingredients I have on hand.

#2 pistolabella

pistolabella
  • participating member
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:39 PM

** I also have all the standard spices & extracts, as well as mint, basil, and bananas. I'm really stretching to think of usable ingredients! :)

#3 djyee100

djyee100
  • society donor
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

How's your stock of eggs? Someone I know likes this Banana Cream Pie. You could make a version for a tart. (BTW, the person I know used the original recipe from the cookbook. I don't know how this adapted web version compares.)
http://homeeconomist...nana-cream-pie/

Another possibility, a custard tart. Cook the blackberries with sugar and a little water and drizzle the sauce over the tart.

#4 pistolabella

pistolabella
  • participating member
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

Pretty good on eggs. That's a good possibility!

#5 Eastgate

Eastgate
  • participating member
  • 63 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

Oh this is easy! Make a nice pâté sucre, fill it with lemon curd, and garnish with those blackberries! Enjoy!

#6 maydd

maydd
  • participating member
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

How about a clafouti ? - it's a bit like the custard tart, with the fruit baked in.

#7 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

Lemon curd tart as suggested, or plain custard tart like this, subbing blackberry sauce for blueberry. I do not miss those TN ice storms!