Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Marmalade in cocktails

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 haresfur

haresfur
  • participating member
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:31 AM

I've been meaning to ask for a while and was motivated by the recreating drinks discussion.

There are a few posts around about cocktails that use marmalade, like the recent one, and the classic Omar Bradley.

What do you think is the best way to incorporate marmalade into a cocktail? Is there any way to permanently de-gel it? It is a pain to dissolve in cold water and one post suggests boiling water but that would require extra chilling or extra time. Straining out the dregs isn't pleasant either. I admit that at home I just ignore the dregs in the bottom of a glass.
It's almost never bad to feed someone.

#2 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,640 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:22 AM

I've never had a problem with it not breaking up during the shake so I just plop it in. Since I'm only making drinks at home and speed is not a concern, I pour most of my drinks through a fine strainer anyway... so the dregs aren't a problem either. The recipe in the recreating drinks thread calls for "orange marmalade syrup" so maybe making up a 2:1 marmalade to water (just guessing at the ratio) mixture, straining it and tossing it in the fridge is an option.
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#3 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:09 AM

If you make your own marmelade, you've also got the option of removing the "dregs" before you even start (by straining out the peels in a jelly bag), and holding a small jar of clear marmelade jelly specifically for cocktails.

Like Tri2, I've never had any problem with the gel dissolving and breaking up in the shake, so I just plop it in.
Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.
My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

#4 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 438 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:51 AM

I'm a plopper, too.

The Dead Parrot
Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Cocktails, Craft Beers, English Wines in provincial Sussex 

#5 b1os

b1os
  • participating member