Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Cooking with "The food of Morocco" by Paula Wolfert

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#31 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 09:50 AM

Can you make some kind of cold salad using couscous?  I have a few salads made with cold cooked quinoa.   I don't like cold rice or pasta salads, but many folks do.  Perhaps couscous can work this way also.

I was planning to try reheating the couscous but a cold salad might work.

#32 SLB

SLB
  • participating member
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 08:27 AM

I don't love cold couscous, although I find it satisfying enough if it's allowed to get to room temperature (I assume we're talking about leftovers, here).  That's true with other pasta salads, too.  

With grains like quinoa or barley or, my very favorite grain for salads, farro, I actually like to warm everything up a little bit before I eat it.  The grains dry out more quickly than the pastas, and I find dried-out grains really unpleasant.  Honestly, I like all my pasta- or grain-based salads a little warm.

I won't go near a cold rice salad (again, I'm talking about leftovers -- I can totally deal with cooled rice that was just-cooked).  In fact, rice-based salads is the one thing that I can't handle as a leftover at all.  I have to fry it.