Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Freezing citrus

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TeakettleSlim

TeakettleSlim
  • participating member
  • 71 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

The meyer lemon tree in my backyard is laden with fruit...around 40 of them. Was really looking forward to having my way with them over the next few weeks. But there was a hard freeze, and my marmalade dreams are fading. What do you think, can I stick them in the freezer whole and thaw/ prep for marmalade later?

#2 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,314 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

Yes. Freeze them immediately. Otherwise pick them all, peel them and blanch them in two changes of water squeeze them as dry as possible and freeze the peels.
Process the pulp for juice, strain and freeze that for later use.
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#3 TeakettleSlim

TeakettleSlim
  • participating member
  • 71 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

Thank you, Andie! I thought it sounded like it should be doable, just wasn't sure of the particulars.