Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Cologne

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 basquecook

basquecook
  • participating member
  • 479 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

I will be heading to Cologne shortly and am really looking for some nice food. I am not looking for a three star Michelin Experience but, more looking for local and exciting food.

Also, any advice as to Breweries. I would like to go on a few tours and check out some really cool beer spots.

Thanks.

#2 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,282 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

I've spent 3 hours of my life in Cologne - I spent it with Torsten (schneich on eG) and along with some bakery supply places we checked out his patisserie

Toertchen Toertchen. Well worth a visit if you want some sweet stuff. He makes excellent chocolates and his fondant is the best.

My visit to his shop.

The opinion

of another eG'er who did a stage with him.

#3 IrishAdventurer

IrishAdventurer
  • participating member
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:26 AM

I spent a few days in Cologne in November 2011, but was mainly interested in beer, not food. Certainly, there are plenty of entries in the Michelin guide (not just starred places) for Cologne, but I'm not sure there are any must-see or must-eat specialities. A good approach would be to eat in the different breweries/brew pubs as they offer pretty decent and traditional food. The other advantage of that approach is that you can't move in Cologne without seeing another brewery. If you're based in Germany, or visit there a lot, I'd suggest picking up the Good Beer Guide for Germany, as you'll often find somewhere to eat or drink (in the middle of nowhere) that you won't find in guidebooks. They also have separate city guide sections for the major cities in Germany, including Cologne.

One word of warning: IMO, Kolsch, the beer that is brewed in Cologne (it can only be brewed there, and is usually the only style of beer that the breweries produce) is nothing special, and it's fairly similar no matter where you drink it. I'm not saying it doesn't vary, but don't expect (for example) the variety that you would get if you compare and contrast the breweries in Munich. On the plus side, it's neither too fizzy, heavy, or hoppy, so it's pretty approachable for non-beer drinkers, and it's served in small pipe-like glasses (200 millilitres) so if you don't like it, you won't be stuck with a gigantic jug full of it.

I'm not sure if tours are offered (I can give you some brewery names) and you can check, and I'll also check which places we preferred in terms of the food and ambience (since the beer didn't vary hugely). Another bonus is that Cologne is pretty compact, so with some planning and determination, you could easily check out 4 or 5 places in a day, and eat wherever you are hungry or think looks good. We managed 9 in a day...I'll check and get back to you.