Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Dinner! 2013 (Part 1)

• Please log in to reply
574 replies to this topic

#31 liuzhou

liuzhou
  • participating member
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:44 AM

Double cooked pigeon breast*, carrot purée with dill and red wine vinegar, green bell pepper purée, orange segment and game chips.

pigeon and game chips.jpg

pigeon carrot pepper.jpg

game chips.jpg

*The pigeon breasts were removed from the beasts then a stock made with the carcase, including head, legs and wings. Star anise and dried tangerine peel were added. The breasts were then briefly braised in the stock. Three minutes max. They were then left to rest while I finished off drying the game chips. As the game chips cooked, the breasts were very briefly fried in olive oil 1 - 1½ minutes) then left to rest again for a bit, while I served up everything else.

Game chips were slightly thicker than I intended but my mandoline has disappeared! I had to cut them by hand.

Edited by liuzhou, 03 January 2013 - 02:52 AM.

#32 rarerollingobject

rarerollingobject
  • participating member
  • 775 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:51 AM

Double cooked pigeon breast*, carrot purée with dill and red wine vinegar, green bell pepper purée, orange segment and game chips.

Very nice!

#33 Keith_W

Keith_W
  • participating member
  • 578 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:29 AM

These are vegetables cut up ready to be roasted.

Posted Image

This is me playing with my rotisserie attachment in my oven.

Posted Image

Simple mid week dinner - roast chicken with roast vegetables.

Posted Image
There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

#34 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

These are vegetables cut up ready to be roasted.

Posted Image

This is me playing with my rotisserie attachment in my oven.

Posted Image

Simple mid week dinner - roast chicken with roast vegetables.

Posted Image

Nice!!
Nothing wrong with a "simple roast chicken". Waxman et al and many other chefs have said that a "simple roast chicken" is not the easiest thing to achieve. :-)

#35 Jason Perlow

Jason Perlow
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 13,490 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

Lots of noshing tonight, leftovers and dips, but two notable standouts, an insalata caprese, eaten early in the evening, and a late night improvised tacquito of leftover shrimp from NYE, fresh made avocado salsa and melted pepper jack.

Attached Images

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

Jason Perlow
Co-Founder, The Society for Culinary Arts & Letters
offthebroiler.com - Food Blog | My Flickr photo stream

#36 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

Jason, love the shrimp tacos and the caprese.

#37 Jason Perlow

Jason Perlow
  • 13,490 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

The shrimp tacos were a total unplanned "chopped" mixed basket of stuff sitting in the fridge thing, I was amazed I could pull it off.
Jason Perlow

#38 Creola

Creola
  • participating member
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

Everyones dinners look delicious, with time and effort showing through.We had fried catfish on the bone which i like with rice and homemade chips.

Attached Images

• food 002.JPG

#39 Jason Perlow

Jason Perlow
  • 13,490 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:12 PM

Looks nice and crispy,
Jason Perlow

#40 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • 7,164 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:18 PM

018-001.JPG

Lentil and escarole ragoût

Doable in 30 minutes, including prep, and an excellent use of leftovers. The recipe will be on the blog later this weekend. It's nothing complicated -- just a basic soffritto (onion, celery, celery leaves, carrot) cooked in olive oil and butter; escarole, sea salt, black pepper, rosemary; leftover lentils from the brussels sprouts salad earlier in the week, and reserved lentil cooking liquid. The off-white stuff is a little pecorino cheese.

Edited by SobaAddict70, 03 January 2013 - 11:24 PM.

#41 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • 7,164 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:21 PM

This was so delicious that I got a little carried away and ate the entire batch, instead of the main that I had planned to make tonight -- oven-roasted wild cod, paired with colcannon. That'll be for tomorrow night's dinner, I guess. :laugh: Now that I think about it, a baguette would've been perfect.

#42 liuzhou

liuzhou
  • participating member
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:27 AM

In a hurry tonight, so a simple pasta dish. Penne with ham, olive and anchovies in a spicy fresh tomato sauce. I could have used a baguette, too for excess sauce mopping.

penne.jpg

#43 basquecook

basquecook
  • participating member
  • 379 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:44 AM

Last night, lobster fra diavolo over a spaghetti made from farro.

Brown the bodies in flour, deglaze the pan with tomato sauce, add the claws and cover for 15 minutes. Then add the bodies and tails and cook for another 5 before tossing everything with the spaghetti

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lamb chops with creamed spinach and roasted sunchokes. For dessert, homemade ice cream and lava cakes.

Lamb chops had a coffee and pepper crust topped with a wine reduction. Wine reduction was 4 cups of wine, one cube of frozen pork stock, bay leaf, sugar, a little of the coffee and pepper rub.

Posted Image
pre sauce. not the prettiest photo but, you know, when the food hits the plate, my first priority is not taking a photo. :rolleyes:

Posted Image

Edited by basquecook, 04 January 2013 - 06:53 AM.

#44 David Ross

David Ross
  • host
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:09 AM

Finally, after a strike, price wars, soft shells that prevented fishing and horrific weather, fresh Dungeness Crab. Too bad we didn't have it for the Holidays, but it's still a special once-a-year treat to have the first, fresh crabs of the season.
005.JPG

#45 David Ross

David Ross
  • host
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:19 AM

Finally, after a strike, price wars, soft shells that prevented fishing and horrific weather, fresh Dungeness Crab. Too bad we didn't have it for the Holidays, but it's still a special once-a-year treat to have the first, fresh crabs of the season.
005.JPG

I wanted to add that "buyer beware" is something to keep in mind when you shop for Dungeness Crab. I go to a reputable fishmonger. He buys directly from the fishermen and only sells deep-water crabs that come off the Washington or Oregon coast. The deep-water crabs are larger with a harder shell and more dense, sweet meat. His crab is more expensive, partly because of the quality and partly because he's a small Mom and Pop shop, but it's worth it.

The big-box grocery stores were selling Dungeness Crab over the holidays, but it wasn't fresh. It was frozen, whole crabs from last season. I knew the season wasn't open so I couldn't understand why they were selling what was perceived as fresh crabs just-caught. Well, if you look at the very, very, very small type in their ads or labels in the case, it will say "previously frozen." They have to label it appropriately by State law, but they really push the issue. Buy your Dungeness from a trusted source.

#46 BobLee

BobLee
  • participating member
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

David:

Those Dungeness Crab claws look magnificent. Despite the fact that I am a bit prejudiced in favor of our Maryland Blue Crabs, I dearly love Dungeness.

That is one of the reasons that my wife (Doctor Elizabeth) and I visit Seattle at least twice a year -- to enjoy Dungeness crab --- usually selected/purchased at the Pike Place Market, and then sent to our hotel's kitchen where they are prepared to perfection.

If we were a bit younger (I am a Septuagenarian, although my wife is 15 years younger than I) and were not so attached to our homes in North Carolina and Maryland, we might consider moving to Seattle simply to enjoy the wonderful seafood there.

Alas, it may be a little too late for us --- LOL.

Carrion, please.

Edited by BobLee, 04 January 2013 - 02:53 PM.

#47 mm84321

mm84321
  • participating member
  • 671 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

"Palet fondant au chocolat Caraibe, créme glacée aux spéculoos" Or, "chocolate fondant with spiced biscuit ice cream"
Posted Image
Posted Image

#48 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

The pastas look really refreshing after the holiday gluttony. As do the Dungeness crabs.

#49 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

Chicken with Sichuan peppercorns:

chicken_sichuan_peppercorns.jpg

#50 rarerollingobject

rarerollingobject
  • participating member
  • 775 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:06 AM

Inspired by myself on the Cooking for One thread (hehe) and Ottolenghi originally (recipe http://www.guardian....urt-dip-recipes) I made turkey cakes with wasabi guacamole. The turkey cakes were spiked with grated zucchini, green onions, cumin, garlic and coriander and glazed in ginger jam after browning. And three incendiary Thai green chillis added in too, which I received in a package mailed by my capsaicin-obsessed mother.

IMG_4917.jpg

#51 liuzhou

liuzhou
  • participating member
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:22 AM

I'm on the road, so tonight's dinner is a take away from a tiny Sichuan restaurant in a Sichuan village.

宫保鸡丁 (gōng bǎo jī dīng), aka Kungpo Chicken, spicy chicken with peanuts.

Not pretty I grant you, but it was tasty. Hot as Hades, while simultaneously mouth-numbing from the Sichuan peppercorns. Somewhat over-padded out with carrot but at ¥18 (£1.80; $2.90) for the large dish with rice, who is complaining.

IMG_2682.jpg

IMG_2684.jpg

The restaurant's two tables were full, so I asked for it to go and went to another restaurant next door, ordered a beer and ate the meal from the first place. Perfectly acceptable in rural China. Don't try this at home!

#52 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 4,700 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:11 AM

so many wonderful dishes that at a distance ( ie here ) inspire me to move away from time to time from SV! and you should see my freezer!

mm: simply a stunning dessert! you can e-mail me that as an attachment to follow those perfect, ie perfect Turbot dishes. are those available by attachment?

now all I have to decided on are the 'Hors : how about a cold selection of Oysters on the 1/2?

many thanks to all who share!

:biggrin:

#53 Keith_W

Keith_W
  • participating member
  • 578 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:04 AM

Posted Image

Sardines on toast. The sardines were stuffed with chopped capers and red onion. The green sauce is a salsa verde, the red sauce is a simple passata.

Edited by Keith_W, 05 January 2013 - 09:04 AM.

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

#54 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,422 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:57 AM

I'm on the road, so tonight's dinner is a take away from a tiny Sichuan restaurant in a Sichuan village.

宫保鸡丁 (gōng bǎo jī dīng), aka Kungpo Chicken, spicy chicken with peanuts.

Not pretty I grant you, but it was tasty. Hot as Hades, while simultaneously mouth-numbing from the Sichuan peppercorns. Somewhat over-padded out with carrot but at ¥18 (£1.80; $2.90) for the large dish with rice, who is complaining.

IMG_2682.jpg

IMG_2684.jpg

The restaurant's two tables were full, so I asked for it to go and went to another restaurant next door, ordered a beer and ate the meal from the first place. Perfectly acceptable in rural China. Don't try this at home!

Actually I did try it at home last night. Yours looks better!

Attached Images

• 2013-01-04_20-14-44_822.jpg

#55 munchymom

munchymom
  • participating member
  • 439 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

Liuzhou, that Kungpo chicken looks uncannily similar to the kind I can get at my local (southern US) Chinese restaurant. I have a feeling that yours tastes much better though!
"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."
-Harriet M. Welsch

Visit my food blog! http://goodformeblog.blogspot.com/

#56 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

Chicken leek barley and dill soup made with pressure cooker stock (partner insisted on some fat being left in)

stock.jpg

leeks.jpg

chicken.jpg

dill.jpg

soup.jpg

#57 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 4,700 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

WoW, WoW,

patrickamory

Id love to see the details of all of the above.

it looks so delicious.

I now have an induction 'top' and will now try to use that and the PC for things as I see you do!

:biggrin: :biggrin:

#58 The J

The J
  • participating member
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

The picture isn't that great (I have to work on my food photography), but tonight's dinner was flank steak (marinated in grapefruit juice, tequila, salt, sugar and onion) that was cooked in a cast-iron skillet with a little olive oil, some soy sauce, tabasco and spicy brown mustard, on top of a mixture of charred sundried tomatoes and caramelized onions, with romaine, diced jalapeno cheddar and a little horseradish mayo, on freshly made garlic and black pepper flatbread, served with seasoned baked potato chips.

IMAG0100.jpg

#59 liuzhou

liuzhou
  • participating member
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

Actually I did try it at home last night.

I meant don't try eating food from one restaurant in a second restaurant, at home.

By all means try the dish

#60 mm84321

mm84321
  • participating member
  • 671 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

Paella with striped bass
Posted Image