Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Dinner! 2013 (Part 1)

• Please log in to reply
574 replies to this topic

#511 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 4,700 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

Oink ! Oink  !

I used to do a stuffed meat loaf  (turkey) w bacon wrap a long time ago.

well before the introduction of various Statins!

however, the GEBB has that crusty FR bread to soak up all that 'Goodness'  'Badness' and deliver it in a 

metered, constant infusion sort of way.

Edited by rotuts, 20 February 2013 - 11:29 AM.

#512 Mr Holloway

Mr Holloway
  • participating member
  • 173 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

We have been calling them "Home rollies" here :laugh:

They are superb with a salad, the bread gets a great crunchy texture.

Love the pizza dough idea FeChef :smile:

Shane

#513 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:35 PM

Shane – I just called Mr. Kim up to the computer so that he could see that bacon wrapped sandwich.  He hung over my shoulder for 5 solid minutes.  Thanks to you, I now have a damp shoulder. :wink:

We had my mother over for dinner last night and had a nice gift from the freezer:

Bolognese with Italian sausage.  I also served the romaine with Gorgonzola, spiced pecans and roasted garlic dressing salad and garlic bread:

#514 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

MMM that spaghetti with sausage looks wonderful Kim.

#515 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 7,164 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

Ooo, meatballs. I need practice making those.

tonight:

8493303941_d4f18c024e_z.jpg

Hedgehog mushroom salad, with poached farm egg and pecorino Crotonese cheese

In case folks are curious, the mushrooms were sautéed in unsalted butter, and seasoned with sea salt, black pepper and rosemary. This was spooned atop baby arugula and shaved cheese. Topped with a poached egg.

8494404398_7850ac0bba_z.jpg

Insalata di finocchi e arance

This is a modern twist on this traditional winter salad. Contains roasted fennel, Cara Cara oranges and candied Cara Cara orange zest. The vinaigrette consists of extra-virgin olive oil, Cara Cara OJ, white wine, white wine vinegar, sea salt and black pepper.

Candied Cara Cara orange zest, adapted from Martha Stewart's recipe here:  http://www.marthaste...ied-orange-zest

8494404076_00566d1259_z.jpg

Butter-braised winter vegetables, with spicy pork sausage

Adapted from Katrina's recipe, which you can view here: http://shesinthekitc...braises-au.html

The sausage and vegetables were cooked separately, then combined at the last minute prior to plating. The braising liquid differs slightly from the linked recipe and contains: unsalted butter, chicken stock, white wine, olive oil, fennel seed, rosemary, sea salt and black pepper.

8493303545_297b12b725_z.jpg

Arctic char, herb salad

Herb salad -- tarragon, Italian parsley, mint, sage and marjoram, along with julienned lemon zest (for color), and dressed in a lemon vinaigrette (lemon juice, extra-virgin olive oil, sea salt, black pepper).

Edited by SobaAddict70, 20 February 2013 - 09:46 PM.

#516 ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy
  • society donor
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:31 PM

A healthy one tonight. Baked chicken and a quinoa salad with roasted garlic and yogurt.

553968_10151749382164908_727678707_n.jpg

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...
Oakland, CA
My Place
My eGullet Foodblog
eG Ethics Signatory

#517 C. sapidus

C. sapidus
  • participating member
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

ScottyBoy - looks good!

Fried grated coconut with beef, with shallots, garlic, tamarind, coconut cream, brown sugar, coriander, and bay leaves

Cucumber and pineapple pickle, with shallots, chiles, sugar, and lime juice

Stir-fried vegetables with fermented black beans, garlic, oyster sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sesame oil

Basmati rice

#518 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • 7,164 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

8496182395_6921c8349b_z.jpg

Chestnut gnocchi, with winter root vegetables (parsnips, carrots) and mushrooms (champignon and oyster mushrooms)

8497285724_d5086ed032_z.jpg

Carrot and cauliflower confit

Imagine the softest, lusciousliest (is that even a word? well, it is now) cauliflower and carrots you've ever tasted, infused with garlic, cumin and lemon, and sparked with a flash of cayenne. The confit liquid, which was the olive oil they were slow-roasted in, is worth the price of admission.

Adapted from this recipe by Jean-Georges Vongerichten, of Jean Georges (New York), Pump Room (Chicago) and Mercato (Shanghai) -- http://www.nytimes.c...-And-Cumin.html

There are a few differences between JGV's original and the pic above, namely the lemon zest/lemon juice, capers, marjoram and cauliflower. Otherwise, it's as written.

8496182573_6465b31c44_z.jpg

"Eggs and things"

You can think of it as a 'reverse frittata', one where the filling is the star of the show. In this case, it's beet greens. The eggs are supposed to be shredded. (I think I used 2 eggs, instead of my usual 3-4). Sometimes there'll be cheese or fried breadcrumbs, or plain as you see here, save for a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil.

In the past, I've had this with spinach and tomatoes, or with ramps and potatoes. Just an idea for those of you who might be inclined.

Edited by SobaAddict70, 21 February 2013 - 10:50 PM.

#519 Mr Holloway

Mr Holloway
  • participating member
  • 173 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

Great meals everyone :smile:

Made a batch of chili for this week

Ground beef, home ground pork and porchetta

Meat browned off with some cherry wood

Got happy here,for a few hours

4 scotch bonnets, gave this a great kick

Shane

#520 PeterLG

PeterLG
  • participating member
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

Finished a dinner for 9. Really happy with the menu. I was thinking Scallops & fennel foam for the appetizer but The Wife wanted Mango & Avocado + Shrimp, so I had to improvise :-)

Hors d'oeuvres:
o Foie Gras toasts w/ Chives & Balsamico reduction
o Crayfish toasts w/ Sour Cream, Shallots & Dill

Wine: Fleury Organic Champagne

Appetizer:
o Green Salad: Romaine & Iceberg with Shrimp, Avocado, Mango & Cilantro.

(cont. Champagne)

Main:
o Truffle Risotto, topped w/ Chives & Parmigiano
o Filet Mignon w/ Red Wine sauce (salted, room temp for 2h, then sauteed in butter and held in 70C oven until 53,5C)
o Tomato, Rocket, Basil & Pine seeds w/ Balsamico reduction

La Raia Large (an awesome Barbera from Piemonte)

o Cheese plate with Roquefort (walnut), Brebiou (Fig jam), Old Gouda (Cranbelly gelee)

Churchill Reserve Post

Dessert:
o Macarons (various)
o Lind't chocolate (various)

Portal 2000 Colheita
Espresso & Sambuca

(and yes, the guests wanted to sample port wines - otherwise would've probably gone with a good Sauternes for the cheese plate).

Edited by PeterLG, 22 February 2013 - 05:43 PM.

#521 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

IMG_0493.jpg

Cauliflower Steak - based on this Food 52 recipe.  I browned the 'steak' in duck fat.  For the puree I steamed the cauliflower in my Thermomix then pureed with some butter.  Didn't require any extra liquid.  

#522 DiggingDogFarm

DiggingDogFarm
  • participating member
  • 737 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

Kerry,

That looks great!

Thanks for posting!

I've been eating a lot of cauliflower in the past couple of years because I have to avoid starchy potatoes and the like.

I'll definitely give that recipe a try!

~Martin

~Martin

Unsupervised rebellious and radical farmer, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, nonconformist and contrarian who questions everything!

#523 scubadoo97

scubadoo97
  • participating member
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

Looks really nice Kerry. I often toss the slices on the grill

Mr Holloway. Good looking chili and photo tutorial

#524 liuzhou

liuzhou
  • participating member
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

Not home cooking this time, but dinner you have to cook yourself.

Last night, I had a bit of a reunion with some old friends. One had come all the way from the USA to China; two others had travelled all day to get here. 

Being in the last days of the Spring Festival (Chinese New Year) holiday, we did the usual and went for a hotpot in a new restaurant in town. It is the last Friday of the holiday and the place was heaving and, as the Chinese like their restaurants, it was 热闹 (literally 'hot and noisy'). There were long lines of people waiting to get in. Fortunately, we had booked. 

For the hotpot base we chose the most popular - 养生鸳鸯锅 - which literally translates as 'health preserving mandarin duck pot'. 鸳鸯 can also metaphorically mean 'an affectionate couple' and the pots normally have a couple of sections. Hence the name. But this one seems to have a baby in the centre..

IMG_3618 (Large).jpg

The centre section contains Sichuan peppercorns, chillies and chilli bean paste. It is perforated on one side (the lower side in the picture above) allowing the flavours to mingle with the stock without the actual peppers etc getting in.

IMG_3639 (Large).jpg

Each section is filled with chicken stock and placed in the centre of the table with an induction cooker underneath.

Then the additions for cooking in the soup start to pile up

IMG_3610 (Large).jpg
L-R at the back, tofu and greens; at the front duck blood, taro and potato

IMG_3613 (Large).jpg
Rice vermicelli

IMG_3616 (Large).jpg
Daikon

IMG_3630 (Large).jpg
Tofu (again)

IMG_3625 (Large).jpg
Potato (again)

IMG_3624 (Large).jpg
Dried Beancurd Milk Skin (腐竹)

IMG_3607 (Large).JPG
Beef

IMG_3632 (Large).jpg
And, of course, rice.

There were other things to be cooked in the soup base which I didn't photograph - the lighting wasn't helpful. I remember shiitake mushrooms, king oyster mushrooms and lamb. I'm sure there were more.

As it bubbles away the stock evaporates and the chilli side gets hotter and hotter. Fresh stock can be obtained to tame it down again, but it remains HOT. The clear side offers some light relief.

A beer or three were also on hand to douse the chilli heat and a fine time was had by all..

Edited by liuzhou, 22 February 2013 - 08:04 PM.

#525 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • 7,164 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:43 AM

Kerry -- that's pretty cool.

Liuzhou -- love your posts as always.  they show a side of China that I hardly ever see.

tonight:

8498933825_1458875174_z.jpg

Beet and Cara Cara orange salad, with crystallized ginger, pistachios and Chinese lap cheong sausage

The dressing is a very light sprinkling of the candied Cara Cara orange zest liquid from a couple of days ago.

Not every salad has to have salad greens.

8498934059_246940ef4b_z.jpg

Veal ricotta meatballs, sugo di pomodoro

Recipe for the meatballs (from Marco Canora (Hearth and Terroir, in the East Village)): www.nytimes.com/2007/06/06/dining/061lrex.html

Sugo di pomodoro ("tomato sauce"):

1 onion, finely diced
olive oil
1 large carrot, peeled and finely diced
2 stalks celery, trimmed and finely diced
1 tablespoon celery leaves, finely minced
1 tablespoon fresh thyme
sea salt, to taste
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
3 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup water

Put olive oil and onion in a heavy 3-½-quart pot or Dutch oven and turn heat to medium. Cook and stir onion until it has become translucent, then add the celery, carrot, celery leaves and thyme, along with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Cook for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until the vegetables have softened considerably. Add the tomatoes and water. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to medium-low and partly cover. Let that cook for 30 to 45 minutes or until the sauce has thickened slightly. Taste for salt and pepper once more, then use as desired.

also, I'm starting a batch of beet vinegar:

8498949417_761d59a541_z.jpg

This is peels and trimmings from 3 very large beets.

8498949321_394c9e3d1e_z.jpg

Here, you see 1/2 cup red wine vinegar that's covering the beet peels. I'll set this in the fridge and take another pic on Sunday, then a 2nd pic 1-2 weeks later. The color should begin to transform from a deep red to a magenta or purple in a few days time. And that's when things begin to get interesting.

#526 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:03 AM

I decided to pull the stove top smoker out of the closet and give it a whirl yesterday...

2013_02_22 Smoker w:fish.jpg

That's a whole 1.25# trout, along with a bunch of wild shrimp.  So I made a little salad with arugula, almonds, celery and its leaves and tiny grape tomatoes. Healthy dinner...

2013_02_22 Smoked fish salad.jpg

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

#527 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 4,700 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:22 AM

I have one of these buried somewhere.  what did you use for smoke?   i assume youve used tea, the kind in tins?

#528 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:53 AM

I have one of these buried somewhere.  what did you use for smoke?   i assume youve used tea, the kind in tins?

I seriously still had some of the wood shavings ("chips") that came with the thing.  IIRC, it came with hickory, mesquite and grape vines.   

I used the burgundy.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

#529 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:39 AM

Soba – you know, I don’t like mushrooms, but your mushroom salad reminded me of how lovely a poached egg is on top of a salad.  I need to do that soon.  Mr. Kim is back on the low carb thing and that with some pork addition (maybe the peameal from below) would make a great low carb meal.  Thank you.  And those veal ricotta meatballs sound fantastic.

Kerry – that cauliflower is gorgeous.  Must think about doing that.  That color is exactly what I want (and never get – see below) when I roast cauliflower.

On our last trip to Florida we found peameal bacon at a German store in Sarasota.  Finally made it for dinner last night:

With roasted cauliflower, sweet potatoes and biscuits.  We loved the bacon – very intense flavor, like a cross between country ham and regular ham. 

#530 Emily_R

Emily_R
  • participating member
  • 877 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

Kerry -- I saw that cauliflower recipe on Food52... How was it? I was worried that the cauliflower stalk that is part of the steak would be really tough...

#531 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:25 AM

Zuni chicken, roasted in our new NXR gas range.

zuni_chicken.jpg

zuni_chicken_carved.jpg

#532 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • 7,164 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

looks great, Patrick.  (pls tell me you made the salad.)

#533 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

Kerry -- I saw that cauliflower recipe on Food52... How was it? I was worried that the cauliflower stalk that is part of the steak would be really tough...

Not tough at all - yummy!

#534 ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy
  • society donor
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

Luckily I live right across the bay from that Zuni chicken. Been going there since I was a little kid!

Salmon mi cuit, brined in salt water for 15 minutes and poached at 104 degrees for 1 hour. Satsuma-champagne buerre blanc with terragon and chives.

48156_10151321977039372_1576696596_n.jpg

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...
Oakland, CA
My Place
My eGullet Foodblog
eG Ethics Signatory

#535 scubadoo97

scubadoo97
  • participating member
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

Scotty Boy, that salmon looks amazing. 

#536 Shelby

Shelby
  • society donor
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

Not home cooking this time, but dinner you have to cook yourself.

Last night, I had a bit of a reunion with some old friends. One had come all the way from the USA to China; two others had travelled all day to get here. 

Being in the last days of the Spring Festival (Chinese New Year) holiday, we did the usual and went for a hotpot in a new restaurant in town. It is the last Friday of the holiday and the place was heaving and, as the Chinese like their restaurants, it was 热闹 (literally 'hot and noisy'). There were long lines of people waiting to get in. Fortunately, we had booked. 

For the hotpot base we chose the most popular - 养生鸳鸯锅 - which literally translates as 'health preserving mandarin duck pot'. 鸳鸯 can also metaphorically mean 'an affectionate couple' and the pots normally have a couple of sections. Hence the name. But this one seems to have a baby in the centre..

attachicon.gifIMG_3618 (Large).jpg

The centre section contains Sichuan peppercorns, chillies and chilli bean paste. It is perforated on one side (the lower side in the picture above) allowing the flavours to mingle with the stock without the actual peppers etc getting in.

attachicon.gifIMG_3639 (Large).jpg

Each section is filled with chicken stock and placed in the centre of the table with an induction cooker underneath.

Then the additions for cooking in the soup start to pile up

attachicon.gifIMG_3610 (Large).jpg
L-R at the back, tofu and greens; at the front duck blood, taro and potato

attachicon.gifIMG_3613 (Large).jpg
Rice vermicelli

attachicon.gifIMG_3616 (Large).jpg
Daikon

attachicon.gifIMG_3630 (Large).jpg
Tofu (again)

attachicon.gifIMG_3625 (Large).jpg
Potato (again)

attachicon.gifIMG_3624 (Large).jpg
Dried Beancurd Milk Skin (腐竹)

attachicon.gifIMG_3607 (Large).JPG
Beef

attachicon.gifIMG_3632 (Large).jpg
And, of course, rice.

There were other things to be cooked in the soup base which I didn't photograph - the lighting wasn't helpful. I remember shiitake mushrooms, king oyster mushrooms and lamb. I'm sure there were more.

As it bubbles away the stock evaporates and the chilli side gets hotter and hotter. Fresh stock can be obtained to tame it down again, but it remains HOT. The clear side offers some light relief.

A beer or three were also on hand to douse the chilli heat and a fine time was had by all..

This looks so delicious.  I'd love to be able to experience eating something like that!  

#537 Jason Perlow

Jason Perlow
  • 13,490 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:47 PM

image.jpg

Today was a big BBQ and grilling day. Lots of stuff cooked for different meals this week, but highlight of the evening were these charcoal grilled lemon pepper chicken wings
Jason Perlow
Co-Founder, The Society for Culinary Arts & Letters
offthebroiler.com - Food Blog | My Flickr photo stream

#538 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:59 PM

Scotty – the salmon looks delicious.  But, my Lord, that photo!  That could grace the pages of the most artsy food mag in the world.  Bravo!

Like Patrick, I thought that Robirdstx’s chicken pot pie looked wonderful and decided to try it today.  Filling before baking:

After baking:

Slice with roasted cauliflower:

This was really, really good.  Mr. Kim (who is not the biggest fan of ‘mixed up’ food, loved this).  I think it is in permanent rotation in the Shook household.  Thanks
so much for posting the recipe, Robirdstx!

#539 liuzhou

liuzhou
  • participating member
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:18 PM

Meatballs

meat balls 3b.jpg

75% beef; 25% pork

Served with a spicy tomato sauce, grilled asparagus and rice.

#540 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • 7,164 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:21 PM

Scotty -- you're killing me, man.   LOL.

Thanks Kim.  nice chicken pot pie.  true comfort food at its best.

Liuzhou -- delish-looking meatballs.  yum.

tonight:

8501696509_78f06c9510_z.jpg

Adirondack blue potato and beet salad, with crispy shiitake mushrooms and scallion-ginger relish

The beets and potatoes were simmered whole, then peeled and roasted with olive oil, sea salt and black pepper for 30 minutes at 350 F. They were cooked separately to prevent discoloration. The mushrooms were fried in olive oil, then sprinkled with sea salt.

Scallion-Ginger Relish

2 scallions, sliced (both green and white parts)
1 1" piece of ginger root, julienned
2 tablespoons vegetable or peanut oil
1 teaspoon Cara Cara orange zest, julienned
1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
a pinch of cayenne pepper

Warm vegetable or peanut oil in a skillet. When the oil shimmers, add the scallions and ginger to the pan. Fry until the ginger becomes aromatic and the scallion greens turn a bright green, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. With a slotted spoon, transfer scallions and ginger to a paper-towel lined plate. Let cool.

Once cool, transfer to a small bowl. Stir in orange zest, season with sesame oil, rice wine vinegar and cayenne pepper. Use as needed.

8501696335_2e79b49eab_z.jpg

French omelette (eggs, sea salt, black pepper, unsalted butter)
Brussels sprouts with pancetta (pancetta, brussels sprouts, olive oil, sea salt, black pepper)