Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Dinner! 2013 (Part 1)

• Please log in to reply
574 replies to this topic

#451 C. sapidus

C. sapidus
  • participating member
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:18 AM

Bruce - oh man those tacos look gorgeous - and fairly straightforward as well. Is that Diana Kennedy? Do you make your own tortillas?

Patrick – Thank you! We haven’t made tortillas in a while, but one of the local Latino markets sells pretty good corn tortillas with no preservatives. They even puff up when we heat them over the flame.

The taco recipe is from Rick Bayless’ Mexican Kitchen

#452 Prawncrackers

Prawncrackers
  • participating member
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

Malabar shrimp curry:

This is a great recipe from one of my favourite cookbooks. It's actually the dish that's on the front cover. But don't you think that the cover photo is too red considering the amount of tumeric in the recipe. Every time I've cooked it, it comes out as yellow as yours?!

For Vals day I bought some scallops and a dover sole. The scallops were smoked over Jasmine tea and dressed with ponzu and ikura. The sole was simply pan fried. The sauce is a combination of black butter and sauce vierge with added goodness of tiny brown shrimps. We ate this with a few saffron potatoes cooked in scallop stock and wilted red chard.

For dessert the wife made mini green tea eclairs filled with white choc cream, accompanied with a red bean dip

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

#453 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:40 PM

Prawncrackers - yes, there is no way in the world that recipe will come out looking like that! I suspect some serious post-processing, the use of kashmiri red chiles, food colouring, or worse...

I joined the fried rice wagon tonight.

fried_rice.jpg

#454 FeChef

FeChef
  • participating member
  • 545 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

Vday dinner for my wife. Filet mignon topped with boursin cheese and lump crab meat in a marsala wine reduction cream sauce. Side of Asparagus w/ egg topped with hollandaise and crumbled bacon.

Attached Images

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg

Edited by FeChef, 15 February 2013 - 10:10 AM.

#455 basquecook

basquecook
  • legacy participant
  • 570 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

Some gorgeous meals here. Been away the last month. In 30 days, I was in Cologne Germany, Amsterdam, Yangzhou, Shanghai and a couple of other cities in China, Chicago and Atlanta.

The wife made lamb shanks for dinner last night. With lemon segments, olives and white wine. Sauce was very well balanced. Shank, fall off the bone. served with polenta and sprouts.

Posted Image

Edited by basquecook, 15 February 2013 - 10:48 AM.

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

#456 basquecook

basquecook
  • legacy participant
  • 570 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

Dinner for one the other night

Posted Image

Quick pasta started with garlic and olive oil, added sardines from the pantry, salt packed capers, black and red pepper, a cup of pureed tomatoes, then the cooked pasta, a little water, perhaps a dusting of cheese. such a good dinner.. a glass of red wine with dinner and then a glass of homemade limoncello

Posted Image

Edited by basquecook, 15 February 2013 - 10:43 AM.

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

#457 basquecook

basquecook
  • legacy participant
  • 570 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:44 AM

Now, I have been looking at Eataly's dry aged steaks since Tuesday. A man can only take so much. After work today, I stopped by and picked up a 1.15 pound steak. it was a bone in ny strip.. 30 bones pretty much on the dot.

Posted Imagec

steak browned in a cast iron.. though i heated the pan for 10 minutes, did not have it at the highest temp.. Miss K is not a fan of the char

Posted Image

with the steak, I made a dal, a gringo dal.. made a quick paste with ginger, garlic, onion and tomato. cooked it in a hot pan, added mustard seeds, coriander and some turmeric. to the cooking lentils, i added a shot of soy and cream, some salt, pepper, harissa and a shot of lemon.

roasted a potato, stuffed with creme fraiche.

took the steak out of the oven with an internal temp of 119

Posted Image

The quality of the steak at Eataly was fantastic.. it had that earthy, musky beef flavor. it was stellar.

#458 basquecook

basquecook
  • legacy participant
  • 570 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

Dinner with my old daughter

i bought 8 dollars worth of whole sardines. They were really pretty.

I cleaned and season floured them.

A quick fry in olive oil.

Posted Image

I served the hot sardines over mashed potatoes with a salad made from tuesdays frisee and radicchio. Miss k loved this dish. I learned how to make her a salad. You dress it with a proper emulsified dressing and then sprinkle sherry vinegar over the dressed salad.

Posted Image

#459 basquecook

basquecook
  • legacy participant
  • 570 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

So, I had this pork shoulder from Christmas. I had roasted it but, we did not get to eat it. So, I broke it into half and covered it with tomato sauce.. And there it stayed in my freezer until the other tonight.. Defrosted the sauce and tossed it with some pasta from Eataly.

Posted Image

Pan seared swordfish, finished in the oven with some white wine and capers. Took the fish out and reduced, added a pad of butter.

Frisse salad with radicchio, mashed potatoes and swordfish.

Posted Image

Edited by basquecook, 15 February 2013 - 10:58 AM.

#460 basquecook

basquecook
  • legacy participant
  • 570 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

Bought another 15 pound pig last night.. In the Brine till Saturday.

Posted Image

#461 Shelby

Shelby
  • society donor
  • 2,699 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

Basquecook, those sardines look lovely. And, I wish I lived near Eataly so I could shop there!

#462 Baselerd

Baselerd
  • participating member
  • 468 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

Those steaks look amazing - as does the dover sole. I wish I could get my hands on a suckling pig like that - pretty awesome.

Here's a little sea bass inspired by the John Dory recipe from Eleven Madison Park. I poached the fish sous vide in chicken jus with cornstarch and herbs to a core temp of 113 F (a la MC recommendations). Following the EMP components, it was served with dehydrated citrus fruits, citrus buerre blanc, edamame, pickled daikon, and a daikon vinaigrette. Finished with some tarragon, green onions, and olive oil.

Posted Image

#463 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • legacy participant
  • 7,609 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

Basquecook, those sardines look lovely. And, I wish I lived near Eataly so I could shop there!

weather permitting, a trip to USGM might be in order tomorrow, so I can see what's on hand. Lucy (see report here: http://www.echonyc.c...reenmarket.html ) says that last Saturday, black radishes, Jerusalem artichokes, celeriac and winter greens were available, along with the usual chicken, chicken parts, RABBIT and eggs. hopefully it won't be snowing. I'm thinking of getting a chicken for either roast chicken or chicken stock.

and if my basket isn't laden down with goods, maybe a side trip to Eataly is in order. on the "to get" list: wild mushrooms, gnocchi, chestnuts, bottarga di tonno (tuna bottarga) or bottarga di muggine (mullet bottarga). maybe some cheese.

dinner tonight will feature oysters and beets. more later.

Edited by SobaAddict70, 15 February 2013 - 02:27 PM.

#464 basquecook

basquecook
  • legacy participant
  • 570 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

I have never tried their gnocchi. I recently have seen you are getting into pasta making, gnocchi is a really fun thing to make. Though, I was watching them make gnocchi at Eataly, they were doing it the right way for sure.. The place smelled of baked potatoes and they had all of these riced potatoes out on a wooden counter. It was a fun to watch.

#465 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • legacy participant
  • 7,609 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

I have never tried their gnocchi. I recently have seen you are getting into pasta making, gnocchi is a really fun thing to make. Though, I was watching them make gnocchi at Eataly, they were doing it the right way for sure.. The place smelled of baked potatoes and they had all of these riced potatoes out on a wooden counter. It was a fun to watch.

they're actually quite good. the only gnocchi that seems to beat their's is (1) Marco Canora's (at Hearth) and (2) Tom Colicchio's (at Craft). but I haven't done the restaurant thing in a long time, so maybe things have gone south.

If chestnuts are available at Eataly, then I may ditch the gnocchi and pick up ricotta cheese instead from USGM so I can make ricotta gnocchi with chestnuts and wild mushrooms. (the idea gears in my head are already working overtime.) or pair the chestnuts with arborio for risi e castagne, which you can serve for either dinner or dessert.

*looks up at Scotty* :wink:

ETA -- my Italian friends on Facebook also tell me that risi e castagne can be eaten for breakfast. can be sweet or savory.

Edited by SobaAddict70, 15 February 2013 - 03:02 PM.

#466 huiray

huiray
  • participating member
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

I think ANYTHING can be eaten for breakfast. :smile: In my book all food of any category is fair game for breakfast and there ought not to be only certain types of food that is approved as breakfast foods. :wink:

#467 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • legacy participant
  • 7,609 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:00 PM

huiray -- but that would break C. sapidus' "egg" rule. (kidding)

tonight:

Posted Image

Beet "carpaccio", baby arugula and frisée salad, hazelnut vinaigrette

The beets were cooked separately -- golden beets and regular beets (simmered in water for 15 minutes, then peeled and thinly sliced). The salad consists of frisée leaves, baby arugula and shaved pecorino Crotonese cheese; the vinaigrette is 3 tablespoons hazelnut oil, the juice of half a lemon, sea salt and black pepper.

Posted Image

Grand Central oyster pan roast, with sourdough toast and caviar

Posted Image

Spaghetti con uovo e caviale (spaghetti with egg and caviar)

Contains eggs, spaghetti, pecorino Romano cheese, sea salt, black pepper, scallions and American lumpfish caviar. Kind of a riff on a carbonara, and totally doable in 20 minutes.

#468 scubadoo97

scubadoo97
  • participating member
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:00 AM

Nice looking fish Baselerd
Soba I'm digging your dishes. I love beets

#469 Steve Irby

Steve Irby
  • society donor
  • 236 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

No card or flowers but I did fix a nice dinner for my wife for V-Day. Butter poached lobster, bone in ribeye with shitake mushrooms and pearl onions.
P1000451(1).JPG

I cheated for dessert and bought a nice cake at TFM. I guess my good looks :blink: must have flustered the counter person because I only got charged $2.99 instead of$7.99.
P1000454(1).JPG

#470 Steve Irby

Steve Irby
  • society donor
  • 236 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

huiray -- but that would break C. sapidus' "egg" rule. (kidding)

tonight:

Posted Image

Beet "carpaccio", baby arugula and frisée salad, hazelnut vinaigrette

The beets were cooked separately -- golden beets and regular beets (simmered in water for 15 minutes, then peeled and thinly sliced). The salad consists of frisée leaves, baby arugula and shaved pecorino Crotonese cheese; the vinaigrette is 3 tablespoons hazelnut oil, the juice of half a lemon, sea salt and black pepper.

Posted Image

Grand Central oyster pan roast, with sourdough toast and caviar

Posted Image

Spaghetti con uovo e caviale (spaghetti with egg and caviar)

Contains eggs, spaghetti, pecorino Romano cheese, sea salt, black pepper, scallions and American lumpfish caviar. Kind of a riff on a carbonara, and totally doable in 20 minutes.

Great looking dishes. What's got me really drooling is that grand central oyster pan roast. Yum yum.

#471 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 6,078 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

SobaAddict70

Ive had the GC Pan roast a few times in times gone by in NYC. I dont recall the (deliciuos) yellow color.

did you modify or maybe I cant remember.

Happy Cooking!

#472 Franci

Franci
  • participating member
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

Hi guys! Your recent meals are spectacular. I wish I could participate more regularly to the dinner thread.

These are the most recent dinners in my house.

Grilled calamari
calamari grigliati 00003.JPG

Ottolenghi's cauliflower fritters

Ottolenghi fritters.JPG

Baked cod

pesce pomodorini patate.JPG

#473 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 6,078 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

Glad to see these things, esp. the calamari!

Yum!

of course should you get the time, Id like to hear more on that grilled calamari.

what it really tender?

#474 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • legacy participant
  • 7,609 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

SobaAddict70

Ive had the GC Pan roast a few times in times gone by in NYC. I dont recall the (deliciuos) yellow color.

did you modify or maybe I cant remember.

Happy Cooking!

due to a bit of Spanish paprika.

recipe from here: http://www.thefoodma..._pan_roast.html

it differs slightly from Arthur's recipe in that I skipped the Heinz chile sauce and toast points, and added parsley and caviar. might as well gild that lily. ;)

Edited by SobaAddict70, 16 February 2013 - 07:05 PM.

#475 Steve Irby

Steve Irby
  • society donor
  • 236 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:50 PM

Tonight's leftover's transformation. Fresh from the freezer homemade mexican influenced chorizo, shrimp, preserved lemon, preserved kumguat, fresh herbs and leftover rice. P1000467(1).JPG

#476 nickrey

nickrey
  • society donor
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:23 PM

Those steaks look amazing - as does the dover sole. I wish I could get my hands on a suckling pig like that - pretty awesome.

Here's a little sea bass inspired by the John Dory recipe from Eleven Madison Park. I poached the fish sous vide in chicken jus with cornstarch and herbs to a core temp of 113 F (a la MC recommendations). Following the EMP components, it was served with dehydrated citrus fruits, citrus buerre blanc, edamame, pickled daikon, and a daikon vinaigrette. Finished with some tarragon, green onions, and olive oil.

Posted Image

Nice looking meal Baselerd. EMP is sure having an impact on much of our cooking and presentation.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four.
Unless there are three other people." Orson Welles
My eG Foodblog

#477 Dejah

Dejah
  • participating member
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:55 PM

Tried these Thai salmon cakes by Pranee Khruasanit Halvorsen.

I've been "off" salmon for the last while because no matter what I did, salmon tasted fishy. :sad:

These were great! Loved the Thai flavours that came thru', and being finished in the oven made getting sides together more timely.

Tod Man Pla Salmon 9231.jpg

Thai Salmon cakes 9235.jpg

I ate mine with squeeze of lime juice and warpped the bite with Thai basil leaf. :wub:

Hubby had Mango Chili sauce with his, along with squeeze of lime.
Dejah
www.hillmanweb.com

#478 benthescientist

benthescientist
  • participating member
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:49 AM

Lamb Two Ways

20130217-Lamb2Ways-1.jpg

A deboned lamb shoulder was cooked for 12 hours at 75 C, having been browned beforehand and coated inside and out with a good smothering of pomegranate molasses and its own fat. A rack was cooked in a more traditional style, pan fried but ended up being underdone. Lesson learnt. Served with a date puree, cinnamon cold smoked yogurt, pistachio, black carrot, radish and puff pastry.

Has anyone dabbled with cinnamon bark as a serious smoking wood?

Edited by benthescientist, 17 February 2013 - 01:52 AM.

#479 Xilimmns

Xilimmns
  • participating member
  • 75 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

Beef Tartare with Wagyu hanger beef with capers, red onion and 63C egg.

image.jpg

Cornish Game Hen with Onion and Bacon, spatchcocked cooked in cast iron with bacon fat and finished in the oven until 170F.

image.jpg

Pilpil Salt Cod, bacalhau poached in olive oil with chili peppers and fried garlic.

image.jpg

Fig & Mascarpone, frozen fig shells with mascarpone cheese and fig pulp with red port wine.

image.jpg

Burger, 50% short rib and 50% top sirloin, topped with cheese, bacon, egg, wild chicory, mayo and Tabasco.

image.jpg

#480 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

My photos aren't going to be as appetizing as Xilimmns's, but anyway I tried out three new dishes tonight.

Pressure-cooked chickpeas for hummus:

hummus.jpg

Leeks "à la grecque" from Jane Grigson's Good Things:

leeks.jpg

And robirdstx's chicken pot pie

chicken_pot_pie.jpg

chicken_pot_pie_sliced.jpg