Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Dinner! 2013 (Part 1)

• Please log in to reply
574 replies to this topic

#361 b1os

b1os
  • participating member
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:21 PM

You're welcome. It's definitely very good. But I can't stress enough how delightful the pineapple dessert is. Yes, I am an Alain Passard fanboi. Yes, I'm saving money so I can include a visit to L'Arpège next time I'm in Paris. But yes, the dessert is absolutely fantastic. And me, who has some sort of allergy towards pineapples (acidic after-mouthfeel.. if you get what I mean), says that. It's one of the best desserts I've had in a long time, maybe even better than the chocolate/pecan --or walnut, as in my case-- Krantz cake from Jerusalem, which clearly is fantastic. Using game hens is key, imo. :

Posted Image

Posted Image

For the superbowl, to get some sort of American culture feeling (I live in Germany), some fried chicken. Recipe courtesy to LA Times, which I've cooked 2-3 times and has always been perfect: http://www.latimes.c...,0,581831.story .

Posted Image

Edited by b1os, 03 February 2013 - 07:28 PM.

#362 David Ross

David Ross
  • host
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:31 AM

014.JPG

Chinese Barbecue Pork with Cucumber, Green Onion and Carrot Salad. Great Flavor but not at all the dyed-red stuff you buy in the grocery store. I baked it on skewers in the oven and then broiled to char it. Next time I'll grill it outdoors on the bbq for some smoky flavor.

#363 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:01 AM

Hmm, Chinese BBQ pork (char siu) can be found in the died-red and non-died-red versions in different groceries, it depends on which store and who the supplier is and even the milieu. (and location in the world) :-) What I can get from my local Chinese grocery looks a lot like yours, except the internal flesh is considerably whiter. Sometimes it might be a little redder rather than "brown-red", but not the red-red that I think you are referring to.

Yours looks nice. Assuming the sauce you poured over it darkened the color of the internal flesh, yours also looks not unlike what one would frequently get in places like Malaysia & Singapore, amongst other places. (You also get red-died & boiled "char siu" there all over the place in various other restaurants and other contexts)

Edited by huiray, 04 February 2013 - 09:11 AM.

#364 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:08 AM

Late night supper after the Super Bowl:

A riff on a dish patterned after Pancit Palabok/Pancit Luglug… :-)

Head-on shrimp, deshelled & deheaded (w/ plentiful head cream), deveined; sautéed in peanut oil till just cooked, removed from pan & reserved. Pan w/ frying residues – shrimp shells & heads and one smashed cut-up garlic clove added in, the mix tossed, water & a little sea salt added and the mix simmered for a little while. The shrimp stock is poured/filtered off and reserved. Skinny “mei fun” (rice noodles) was softened & rehydrated by soaking in hot water, drained & reserved. Two hard boiled eggs were prepared, quartered & reserved. Ground pork was sautéed w/ good fish sauce (Red Boat), generous ground black pepper & sliced fried "hard"/firm tofu; the reserved shrimp stock poured in and the mix simmered to blend and also reduce a bit, then some flour (sufficient) slurried w/ a little water poured in while stirring to thicken. Assembly: mei fun, then sauce, then cooked shrimp, then quartered eggs, lime slices (sliced SE Asian style), topping with chopped scallions. Lime juice liberally squeezed over the ensemble. Eat.

Notes: I didn’t have annato on hand so I left it out. Also no chicharon (pork cracklings) or tinapa (dried smoked fish). I added more fish sauce.

p.s. Yes, the sauce is there on the noodles and under the toppings. I should have taken a picture after I mixed it a bit.

DSCN7630a_1k.jpg

Edited by huiray, 04 February 2013 - 09:17 AM.

#365 Ranz

Ranz
  • participating member
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

Beef short rib with polenta and a brown mushroom sauce made with mustard, onion, garlic and some cream.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#366 rod rock

rod rock
  • participating member
  • 291 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

Hello guys! After long time without contributing on the forum from my side, i decide to start with posting some of my works. Im not pro and be nice with my food! :D

Tonight for dinner is simple but yet very delicious pizza with marinated mushrooms, cheese, little bit of hot ketchup, prosciutto and little bit of oregano spice for aroma. Fast and easy! And to be honest, i was way too hungry and i didn't shred cheese. Also, sorry for the bad quality photo, it is taken with old iphone :/
Pic:

IMG_0122 600px.JPG

"The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live."

Franchise Takeaway

#367 David Ross

David Ross
  • host
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

Hmm, Chinese BBQ pork (char siu) can be found in the died-red and non-died-red versions in different groceries, it depends on which store and who the supplier is and even the milieu. (and location in the world) :-) What I can get from my local Chinese grocery looks a lot like yours, except the internal flesh is considerably whiter. Sometimes it might be a little redder rather than "brown-red", but not the red-red that I think you are referring to.

Yours looks nice. Assuming the sauce you poured over it darkened the color of the internal flesh, yours also looks not unlike what one would frequently get in places like Malaysia & Singapore, amongst other places. (You also get red-died & boiled "char siu" there all over the place in various other restaurants and other contexts)

Thanks. It was actually a bit pink in the center because I intentionally didn't over-cook it. (My Mother still thinks Pork has to be well-done). The sauce was pretty thick and I brushed a good amount over the sliced meat during plating.

#368 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

I've been cooking a lot as usual but have quite the backlog, so bear with me...

First, a December (!) recap.

We had fresh squid ink linguine with a bunch of clams. You can never have too many clams; I usually buy 2.5 to 3 lb for the two of us.

Posted Image

I made evening garlic soup in the manner of the Correze (recipe by Paula Wolfert).

Posted Image

I grilled some grass-fed local (Palomar) rib eye steaks that were amazingly tender and served it with smashed red potatoes from my CSA.

Posted Image

I made a large batch of zingy carrot-ginger soup for a friend who was recovering from surgery.

Posted Image

I was exhausted one night and made breafkast for dinner with the fantastic hickory-smoked bacon from Benton's.

Posted Image

I got into an Indian kick from a while and cooked a couple of recipes from Vij's. First there were these prawns in coconut masala.

Posted Image

Then this local grilled grouper with a tomato-yogurt broth and more smashed red potatoes.

Posted Image

I made a few care packages for my friend including this a lemon risotto with almonds and fennel fronds.

Posted Image

I made David Lebovit'z roast chicken with caramelized shallots again, this time with mashed sweet potatoes.

Posted Image

A my husband's request, sausages braised in tomato sauce with pasta.

Posted Image

To celebrate the arrival of my mom to San Diego for the holidays, I cured a brisket (Suzanne Goin's style) and served it with sauteed kale, steamed potatoes & horseradish creme fraiche.

Posted Image

I grilled a few poussins and served them with roasted balsamic-glazed Brussels sprouts.

Posted Image

I roasted some bone marrow and served it with a little herb salad a la Fergus Henderson for a little (not exactly light!) pre-dinner snack.
Posted Image

We were invited for the Chrismas meal, but I brought this chocolate Dacquoise that was really fabulous (recipe from Pierre Herme).

Posted Image

Posted Image

In an attempt to recover from the festivities, I made a pomegranate, pear and arugula salad with what I found in my CSA.

Posted Image

We got a lot of squash in the CSA and I made a roasted kabocha squash soup that tasted of chestnuts, with garlic croutes.

Posted Image

I made linguine carbonara with Benton's bacon and fresh pea shoots.

Posted Image

Onion soup les Halles.

Posted Image

Foie gras au torchon cooked in duck fat to finish the year on a high note, served with an excellent Champagne that the recipient of one of these jars gave us to thank us.

Posted Image

#369 Xilimmns

Xilimmns
  • participating member
  • 75 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

Great dishers everyone! Same as FrogPrincesse, some backlog but here we go:

Afogado... which is basically a typical Brazilian dish learned from my grandma. Beef ribs cooked with water, seasonings and potatoes in the pressure cooker. Served with rice, hot pepper and corn flour.

424047_10151265165459983_1048045216_n.jpg

Bacon & Egg Ice Cream served with maple syrup.

543206_10151254943099983_1651055093_n.jpg

Margherita Pizza.

735166_10151288038499983_1932597109_n.jpg

Tuna Pizza, my favorite.

555165_10151288053154983_1684119695_n.jpg

Bacalhau (Salt Cod) Risoto.

555789_10151324641194983_643936717_n.jpg

Duck Breast Sous Vide with Cointreau Sauce and Lemon Risoto.

530600_10151297042239983_1026012829_n.jpg

Pinot Noir Infused Pear, cooked sous vide at 80C for one hour.

734809_10151324878604983_1282671573_n.jpg

#370 munchymom

munchymom
  • participating member
  • 439 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

Roast turkey breast, cranberries, mashed sweet potatoes, green beans:

DSCN0095.jpg
"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."
-Harriet M. Welsch

Visit my food blog! http://goodformeblog.blogspot.com/

#371 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

David Ross Tasty looking char siu.
huiray Wow pancit luglug, looks fantastic! Haven't had that since Cendrillon restaurant moved out of Soho.

Something I've been planning to make for ages... the Four Seasons crispy farmhouse duck:

duck.jpg

I think this may be the best duck I've ever had. And pretty easy, aside from the 3 days' advance prep.

#372 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:11 PM

Something I've been planning to make for ages... the Four Seasons crispy farmhouse duck:

I think this may be the best duck I've ever had. And pretty easy, aside from the 3 days' advance prep.

Well, that is gorgeous (as many of these photos are). Is that Four Seasons as in the old Four Seasons cookbook from the classic NYC restaurant? I have that book but don't remember this duck.

#373 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

Well, that is gorgeous (as many of these photos are). Is that Four Seasons as in the old Four Seasons cookbook from the classic NYC restaurant? I have that book but don't remember this duck.

Thanks janeer... and it is the very one (they still serve it btw):

duck_recipe.jpg

(I hope it's okay to post a photo of just the first page of this recipe... it goes on for quite a ways)

#374 ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy
  • society donor
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:31 AM

I like "shaking daily".
Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...
Oakland, CA
My Place
My eGullet Foodblog
eG Ethics Signatory

#375 Paul Bacino

Paul Bacino
  • participating member
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:01 AM

Making some Heritage Foods-Pork OssoBucco--using Red Wattle variety pork.

8447826956_b2ecc762df_h.jpg

After Browning with a bit of wonder flour/Potato starch..Place in a crock pot to cook for 9-10 hrs.

8447832730_b9b77c3bde_h.jpg

Stock/Tomato/Onions/Garlic/Carrots-- Lemon./ Parsley/ thyme/Bay
Its good to have Morels

#376 Baselerd

Baselerd
  • participating member
  • 454 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:10 AM

That's some serious food Xilimmns and FrogPrincess...

Here's a little Fig and Cheese Salad, made with Candied Walnuts, Lemon Vinaigrette, Baby Spinach, Chevre (Cypress Grove Truffle Tremor), Sliced Fig, Fig Fluid Gel (Fig puree, Fig-infused balsamic vinegar, sugar, agar).
Posted Image

And then (out of the Eleven Madison Park Cookbook) some Hamachi with Fennel (Stalks and Bulbs, thinly shaved), dressed in meyer lemon oil. Underneath is some Meyer lemon puree, garlic horseradish puree, and lemon-soy vinaigrette.
Posted Image

Finally, the Cassoulet Toulousain (minus the lamb shank) from the Modernist Cuisine. This had some Garlic Sausage, Boneless Duck Leg Confit, Garlic Confit, Cured Ham Broth, Pressure-Cooked Navy Beans, and Fried Croutons.
Posted Image

Edited by Baselerd, 05 February 2013 - 08:28 AM.

#377 Mr Holloway

Mr Holloway
  • participating member
  • 173 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:26 AM

Great looking meals everyone
Outstanding job on all the photos :smile:

Superbowl meal was Maple Bourbon ham and scalloped potatoes
Ham was on for 5 hrs with cherry and pear wood, very tasty
Posted Image

With the taters
Posted Image

Shane

#378 Paul Bacino

Paul Bacino
  • participating member
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

My finished My Pork OssoBucco with Yukon Gold Potatoes and Home canned beans!!

My Gremolata was just the zest of lemon/orange/parsley !!

8449428282_18ae11dbcb_h.jpg
Its good to have Morels

#379 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 7,162 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

Awesome.

#380 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • 7,162 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:05 PM

tonight:

Posted Image

Shaved fennel and celery salad, with "popped" pumpkin seeds and miso-mustard vinaigrette

The salad is fairly straightforward -- thinly sliced fennel, celery and shredded watercress. The pumpkin seeds were "popped" in olive oil, then lightly seasoned with sea salt.

Miso-mustard vinaigrette

1/4 teaspoon yellow miso
1/2 teaspoon stone-ground mustard
3 teaspoons rice vinegar
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
freshly milled black pepper, to taste

Combine first three ingredients, then whisk in olive oil until the dressing emulsifies. Taste for pepper. No need for salt, due to the miso.

And now for something out of left field:

Posted Image

Beet bourguignon, Umbrian lentils.

Adapted from David's and Luisa's recipe, at Green Kitchen Stories: http://www.greenkitc...et-bourguignon/ with minor tweaks. I added a few more vegetables such as turnip, fennel, shallots and shiitake mushrooms to give it a little more "heft".

I seem to have been on a vegan kick lately.

#381 Ranz

Ranz
  • participating member
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:22 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thai curry with peppers, spring onions, chicken (thighs and drumsticks done sous vide, then shredded) and red cabbage, finished with freshly squeezed lemon juice.

#382 liuzhou

liuzhou
  • participating member
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:47 AM

Tonight I got a bit experimental. Duckburgers. Never made them before.

Hand chopped duck meat (leg and breast) mixed with duck fat and Japanese 7 spice powder (Shichimi Togarashi 七味唐辛子). Fried in duck fat.

We don't get hamburger buns round here, so I improvised with some Chinese bread. A bit of salad and some Japanese pickled ginger.

I ate three! With fries.

IMG_3389a (Large).jpg

Edited by liuzhou, 06 February 2013 - 03:30 AM.

#383 Mjx

Mjx

Senior Host

• host
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:37 AM

Tonight I got a bit experimental. Duckburgers. Never made them before.

Hand chopped duck meat (leg and breast) mixed with duck fat and Japanese 7 spice powder (Shichimi Togarashi 七味唐辛子). Fried in duck fat.

We don't get hamburger buns round here, so I improvised with some Chinese bread. A bit of salad and some Japanese pickled ginger.

I ate three! With fries.

IMG_3389a (Large).jpg

Well that looks good! How were they? Obviously 'ducky', since you ate three, but consistency (how cooked were they?), overall flavour?

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Senior Host, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#384 liuzhou

liuzhou
  • participating member
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:56 AM

Well that looks good! How were they? Obviously 'ducky', since you ate three, but consistency (how cooked were they?), overall flavour?

I was concerned about overcooking them, but the good burger fairy was looking out for me. Somehow I managed to get them nicely browned on the outside, but juicily pink in the centre. They did taste duckular and a little spicy from the shichimi. Next time I'll add a little more chilli. And skip the ginger. It didn't really add anything. But I'm happy with the results of the experiment.

Edited by liuzhou, 06 February 2013 - 06:00 AM.

#385 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:41 PM

Papardelle with meatballs

pasta.jpg

#386 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:33 PM

Thanks janeer... and it is the very one (they still serve it btw):

( http://forums.egulle...-1360034222.jpg )

(I hope it's okay to post a photo of just the first page of this recipe... it goes on for quite a ways)

I looked up the full recipe - http://www.melindale...ons-crisp-duck/
It looks very much like a Chinese-type roast duck, including the air-drying for days (traditionally). :-) Maybe a cross between a Cantonese-style and a Peking duck or something like that? (and except that Cantonese-style tends to use some sort of bean paste as part of the marinade for the cavity)

It looks very nice.

Edited by huiray, 06 February 2013 - 10:34 PM.

#387 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:36 PM

Papardelle with meatballs
( http://forums.egulle...-1360204888.jpg )

Yum. What did you use for the meatballs?

#388 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • 7,162 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:40 PM

oh, those meatballs look great. :wub:

vegetarian dinner tonight (the beets appetizer is vegan, everything else is lacto-ovo vegetarian):

Posted Image

"Turnips" -- turnip and watercress coleslaw

The dressing consists of Greek yogurt, milk, sea salt, black pepper and lemon zest. Garnished with a scant pinch of panch phoron (purely for texture).

Posted Image

"Beets" -- roasted beets, sautéed baby portobello mushrooms with shallots, sea salt, black pepper and thyme

The beets and mushrooms were cooked separately, then plated and finished with lemon juice.

Posted Image

Lenticchie con burro e prezzemolo (lentils with butter and parsley)

In a small pot, combine 1/2 cup lentils in 2 cups water, along with 1-2 peeled and crushed garlic cloves and a bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until lentils are tender. Drain, then discard garlic and bay leaf. Taste for salt and pepper. Then, stir in 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, 2 tablespoons chopped parsley and the juice of half a lemon. Mix well. Taste once more for salt and pepper, if needed, then serve immediately.

Posted Image

Soft-cooked egg, parsnip "home fries"

The "home fries" are just thinly sliced parsnips that were fried in unsalted butter and olive oil, then finished with sea salt, black pepper, thyme and lemon juice.

#389 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:01 AM

SobaAddict, you've certainly been doing vegetarian fairly extensively of late, :-) Lovely dishes, nice presentation and photography as usual.

Great dishes from all.

#390 Paul Bacino

Paul Bacino
  • participating member
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:42 AM

Hello guys! After long time without contributing on the forum from my side, i decide to start with posting some of my works. Im not pro and be nice with my food! :D

Tonight for dinner is simple but yet very delicious pizza with marinated mushrooms, cheese, little bit of hot ketchup, prosciutto and little bit of oregano spice for aroma. Fast and easy! And to be honest, i was way too hungry and i didn't shred cheese. Also, sorry for the bad quality photo, it is taken with old iphone :/
Pic:

IMG_0122 600px.JPG

Hot Rock--Welcome.

What I'll do for a simple sauce for my pizza, is get a jar of of spaghetti sauce. I use Rao's or Cucina Antica ( they make things like Marinara/Tomato basil ).. I think its better than a Ketchup ( just me ). If you have left overs just freeze it.

Good luck

Paul
Its good to have Morels