Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Popular tea

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 ceylontea

ceylontea
  • participating member
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:39 AM

Which is the popular tea in CA that most of the people prefer to drink?

#2 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,451 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

Do you mean variety, brand, type of brew or what?? Your question is lacking in specifics, especially for California with its diverse population.

Frankly, there are so many types and brands of tea and so many ways of brewing it that it is difficult to say what "most" people prefer.

It's not the same as in the south where "sweet tea" iced, is that which is consumed by most people.
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#3 ceylontea

ceylontea
  • participating member
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:54 AM

Do you mean variety, brand, type of brew or what?? Your question is lacking in specifics, especially for California with its diverse population.

Frankly, there are so many types and brands of tea and so many ways of brewing it that it is difficult to say what "most" people prefer.

It's not the same as in the south where "sweet tea" iced, is that which is consumed by most people.

The question is regarding type of tea. Whether its sweet tea, iced tea, oolong tea, black tea or green tea.....I think now you got my point.

#4 ceylontea

ceylontea
  • participating member
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:16 AM

Actually I am quite habitual to take views of my friends like you and on last poll friends responded well.
So here come another poll from my side.
At what time of the day you needed the tea most?

#5 ElsieD

ElsieD
  • participating member
  • 858 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:27 AM

First thing in the morning.

#6 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

About 3:30-4 in the afternoon. Tired time. Tea time.

#7 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

between 4 and 6 pm for sure

#8 minas6907

minas6907
  • participating member
  • 646 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

I do tea anywhere from 7-11pm

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

#9 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,949 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

First thing in the morning, when I get to work, while I'm at work, when I get home from work, in the evening. But other than that I barely drink it!

#10 egalicontrarian

egalicontrarian
  • participating member
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

The morning is important. Apart from that, I like to have tea accompanying reading and writing, whenever that may be.

#11 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

Tea hours for me are pretty much the entire day: I drink tea for thirst and flavor and less for the caffeine, and I drink it dilute enough that I get only a little lift from it. On those days that start with hot chocolate, which has quite a punch of its own as I prepare it, I might not get to tea until lunchtime. And while I rarely start a fresh batch of leaves too close to bedtime, I will continue to drink infusions of a puerh or oolong started earlier right up until I go to bed.

#12 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

I start the day with coffee. The afternoon and evening are for tea.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#13 ceylontea

ceylontea
  • participating member
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:30 AM

Once again I am back with an interesting poll...

Coffee or tea?
Reply....

Edited by Mjx, 02 February 2013 - 09:45 AM.

#14 ElsieD

ElsieD
  • participating member
  • 858 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:00 AM

If I could only have one or the other I would choose tea. However, I do like a good cup of coffee every now and again.

#15 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:16 AM

Coffee first thing when I wake up, but then tea over coffee nearly every time, if I'm at home anyway. Good tea when out in America is basically impossible, so then I do enjoy a good coffee when presented to me.

But as ElsieD said, my desert island hot drink would be tea. (If it wasn't obvious from my avatar)

#16 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,451 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:28 PM

I have coffee to start the day usually one large mug - occasionally a second one.
Near to noon (elevenses) I switch to tea - I always have a large selection and they vary with the season, the weather and my mood.
Yesterday it was a fairly mild "Russian caravan" tea - slightly smoky and spicy - of which I had brewed a full carafe (in my TeaMate) because I needed some to marinate chicken thighs for a dinner dish.
Today I am drinking Republic of Tea's Celebration Tea "20th Anniversary blend of high-grown Ceylon black tea from Court Lodge Estate with sweet wine grapes, tea flowers with essence of Champagne.
It's a fairly "rich" tea, the other flavors do not overpower the tea but enhance it. It's a limited edition tea so won't be around forever.
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#17 mugen

mugen
  • participating member
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

I love and drink a variety of teas - the current stock includes teas from Ceylon, Assam, and Darjeeling; Gyokuro, Russian Caravan, English Breakfast, Earl Grey, Sencha, Gunpowder, and Silver Needles - but none can compare to the rich intensity of a perfectly pulled espresso.

#18 Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock
  • society donor
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:25 AM

Tea, I don't like coffee. That said, I do like to indulge the occasional cup of chocolate in cold weather....

#19 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:47 AM

Two mugs of coffee for breakfast. Then another about 1. After that tea. Right now I'm on a genmaicha kick, but normally Earl Gray or a Darjeeling.

#20 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

I more often start my day with hot chocolate than tea, but after that, it's tea all the way. No coffee, and hardly any black tea, because I'm a bitterphobe. Today, started with leftover leaves of a lovely Dan Cong oolong tea, and now I'm working on a nice green Gu Zhu Zi Sun, floral and sweet.

#21 The J

The J
  • participating member
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:16 AM

If I had to choose one or the other, it would be coffee, hands down. Not sure I could survive without it!

Really, I drink coffee just about every day, whereas tea is only an occasional thing for me.

#22 Beebs

Beebs
  • participating member
  • 710 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

Tea, if I'm at home or the office. Coffee usually, if I'm out and about. It's easier to get a decent cup of coffee in most places than a decent cup of tea.

#23 egalicontrarian

egalicontrarian
  • participating member
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

Perhaps stupidly, I have the belief that tea admits of more varied and subtle flavors than does coffee, which varies more in quality than it does in distinct flavors. Partly because of this probably stupid belief, I am more likely to see coffee as a more functional drink (for example, if I am having trouble staying awake in the afternoon). For enjoyment itself, however, I tend to drink tea.

Another functional role for coffee: there are some social settings, like "getting a cup of coffee," where I feel it is more appropriate to join my fellows in coffee drinking rather than buck the trend.

Finally, as Hassouni remarks above, good tea is hard to find in American establishments. Because of this, I do often order coffee at restaurants; this isn't because the coffee is particularly good, but is because bad coffee is easier to mask (with cream and sugar) than is bad tea.

#24 naguere

naguere
  • participating member
  • 433 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:23 AM

Tea for me, being English, This week a friend brought me a packet of Turkish tea from Constantinople . The packet says 'CAYKUR Rize Turist cayi' . I hope that doesn't mean Tourist Tea, anyway it is not at all English, having a grassy sharp taste to it, and a nice change from my usual M&S Gold.

Attached Images

• IMG_0494 (2).JPG

Who cares how time progresses..

Today I am drinking ale.

(Edgar Allen Poe)

#25 Naftal

Naftal
  • participating member
  • 471 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

Perhaps stupidly, I have the belief that tea admits of more varied and subtle flavors than does coffee, which varies more in quality than it does in distinct flavors. Partly because of this probably stupid belief, I am more likely to see coffee as a more functional drink (for example, if I am having trouble staying awake in the afternoon). For enjoyment itself, however, I tend to drink tea.

Another functional role for coffee: there are some social settings, like "getting a cup of coffee," where I feel it is more appropriate to join my fellows in coffee drinking rather than buck the trend.

Finally, as Hassouni remarks above, good tea is hard to find in American establishments. Because of this, I do often order coffee at restaurants; this isn't because the coffee is particularly good, but is because bad coffee is easier to mask (with cream and sugar) than is bad tea.

Hello- I prefer tea over coffee. That is because I prefer the taste of tea to the taste of coffee. When I want something particularly strong, I brew a cup of indian tea and I make it double-strength. That being said, I know my sister has a very developed palate and prefers really fine coffee

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

#26 ceylontea

ceylontea
  • participating member
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

Just a simple question to all my friends.
On an average how many cups of tea do you have generally in a day?
I have Six . What's yours?

#27 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:22 AM

I used to drink about 2 pots of coffee a day. For some reason, it started giving me gut trouble and I was tired of living on Tums so I switched to tea about 2 years ago. I probably drink way too much of that as well but it doesn't bother my stomach at all. If we're going by your standard size tea cup, which isn't what I use, I probably average about 14 - 16/day. Sometimes a little less, occasionally more. I drink 5 - 6 mugs a day on average but my mug holds just short of 3 standard tea cups.
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#28 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:33 AM

I don't measure by cups--among other things, my cups vary in size from 2 oz to 2 cups--but I usually start at least 3 tea sessions a day, and I may drink 3 to 20+ infusions per session.

#29 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,945 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:00 AM

Maybe one a year.

#30 TeakettleSlim

TeakettleSlim
  • participating member
  • 75 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:57 AM

Somewhere between 4-6.