Scheduled Downtime

NOTICE: The eG Forums will be offline for several hours on Friday, November 28 for system maintenance.

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Kamarkas

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CeeCee

CeeCee
  • participating member
  • 64 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

Today in an Indian store I stumbled upon a package containing something I'd never seen before, which was called kamarkas. After a bit of googling I now know that it's edible, but I can't find much about the flavour it produces except that it's bitter. Perhaps that's why it is used in a more medicinal than culinary way? Most common finds online are recipes for paneerji, a traditional pick-me-up for women who just gave birth. There's some confusion as I found 3 different Latin names for it, salvia plebeian, butea monosperma and butea frondosa.
Does anyone know more about this? Which Latin name is correct or perhaps even a tasty recipe?

#2 Uziel

Uziel
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 08:21 AM

Its called star fruit Carambola