Scheduled Downtime

NOTICE: The eG Forums will be offline for several hours on Friday, November 28 for system maintenance.

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Chocolate decoration

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mm84321

mm84321
  • participating member
  • 831 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:24 AM

I am trying to make this spiral shaped chocolate decoration. Unfortunately, the recipe I am going by gives no instructions for it. My first thought was to spread tempered chocolate on some acetate, cut into shape with a razor blade, then roll around a pin and let set. I am not sure if that will even work, or if there may be a better technique for making something such as this.

Here is a picture:
Posted Image

#2 Chocolot

Chocolot
  • participating member
  • 454 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

I think you are on the right track. I would spread tempered chocolate on acetate, score with a needle and lay inside a cylinder like a cut PVC pipe. When set up, peel off and and the cut edges should separate.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

#3 Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock
  • society donor
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:44 AM

Generally, you can cut the acetate first. I think this was probably placed inside of a small cake ring until it was set.

#4 AnythingButPlainChocolate

AnythingButPlainChocolate
  • participating member
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

I agree, pre-cut, then once you've lifted it (coated in chocolate) run your fingers along the edges to neaten them.
Sian

"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy chocolate, and that's kinda the same thing really."

#5 mm84321

mm84321
  • participating member
  • 831 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:03 PM

Thanks all. I think I will try pre-cutting the acetate, as I imagine it will end up looking neater that way. I'll report back with results.