Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Runny marmalade - how to fix?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mette

Mette
  • participating member
  • 304 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:41 AM

I made 8 kg.s of seville orange marmalade and it was a bit of a rush job - and now it's too runny and won't stay on the toast, which is it's calling. How can I fix it?

I see the following options:

reboil for a thicker set - but will this destroy the pectin?
Reboil and add pectin - how do i calculate the pectin ratio?
Use for dessert sauce - we'll be eating the stuff till kingdom come :-)

Help - sourcing the oranges has been very difficult and I really want to fix it!

Thanks

#2 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:30 AM

Reboil. It doesn't destroy the pectin (at least, not in my experience) but it will thicken up the marmalade.
Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.
My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

#3 Mette

Mette
  • participating member
  • 304 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

Thanks, worked a treat. Must have boiled off at least a liter of water, and as a bonus, theres been some maillard-action, to give the marmalade a lovely, dark amber colour.

#4 TheSugarChef

TheSugarChef
  • participating member
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

I've found it helpful to test my jelly on a chilled plate before I take it off the heat. It really drives me crazy when it's runny the next day and I'm doing double the work. And I've had enough disasters to practice this habit with all of my sauces, caramels and glazes.