Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Cooking Chicken for Chicken Salad

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:59 AM

So what is the consensus – poaching or roasting? Ina says to roast. Other folks that I also trust say to poach. I am making chicken salad for Christmas Eve and want firm, tender, moist chicken that I can cut into very small cubes that won’t turn to mush when I mix with the other ingredients. I am serving it with miniature croissants and want people to be able to make their own sandwiches without a lot of fuss and mess. Thanks!!

#2 lancastermike

lancastermike
  • legacy participant
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:25 AM

My late mother always told me that it needed to be poached. But the best chicken salad I make is with the chicken smoked on the BGE.

I do believe that the classic method is poaching, but I think it tastes much better if the chicken, is smoked, grilled or done in the oven

#3 HungryC

HungryC
  • participating member
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:28 AM

Poached/boiled is the way I'd go, since you're pairing it with rich, buttery croissants. If it was a stand-alone salad on a lettuce leaf, or tucked inside squishy white bread, the roasted chix would deliver more browned flavor. If you're concerned about it being too bland, spike the mayo with spices.

#4 Mjx

Mjx

Senior Host

• host
  • 6,080 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:35 AM

Depends on the flavour and texture you want; roasting seems to give more robust, complex results, poaching, especially in fat, gives more delicate, subtle results.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Senior Host, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#5 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,265 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:48 AM

either way. I like SV as one can do a ton in advance and freeze and use for multiple dishes.

#6 Special K

Special K
  • participating member
  • 670 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:34 AM

I always poach chicken legs and thighs in a pot of stock I've started a half-hour or so earlier. When it's done, I pull it out and let it cool, then strip the meat off and toss the bones right back into the stockpot. It's a two-fer! :smile:

#7 lochaven

lochaven
  • participating member
  • 70 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:39 PM

I make chicken salad often and have always thought poaching lends much more to the traditional flavor I grew up with. Besides, I think a roast chicken is pretty close to perfection, so I prefer to keep these flavors separate and apart. It all depends on what you prefer.
And I want a table for two and a chicken for eight o'clock.

#8 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:25 AM

Thank you all so much! I guess I'm poaching!