Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Problem with Revolation 2 Tempering Machine

Chocolate

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jim D.

Jim D.
  • participating member
  • 228 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

For small batches of chocolate I use a Chocovision Revolation 2 tempering machine. I have been pleased with it, but am having one problem and am wondering if anybody else has experienced this. There is a feature by which, once the chocolate has reached the default tempering point (which for dark choc. is somewhere in the upper-80 F. range--I don't recall the exact figure right now), the user can press and hold down a button that will raise the temp. I do this to get my dark to 90 degrees so that it flows better. Once the user releases the button, however, the display is supposed to return to the actual temp. of the chocolate, and will then rise as the temp. gets to 90. What my machine does is to change the displayed temp. as I hold the button until 90 is shown (correct behavior), and then it stays at 90 (does not return to the actual temp.). This may seem a small matter, but it is impossible to tell the actual temp. of the chocolate without using a thermometer--which more or less defeats the purpose of an automatic tempering machine.

I have gotten a new control card for the machine, and that did not fix the problem. Then I got a new machine, and the same thing happens. It seems very unlikely that I just happened to get three bad control cards in a row, and Chocovision is at a loss as to what to do. So I am wondering if anyone else using this machine has noticed this behavior--or has noticed the machine operating correctly as far as raising the temp. goes. Thanks for any help.

#2 patti_h

patti_h
  • participating member
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

Did you talk with Ian? He is very helpful & has helped me out with issues.

#3 Jim D.

Jim D.
  • participating member
  • 228 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:56 PM

Did you talk with Ian? He is very helpful & has helped me out with issues.

Yes, he is the person I have been dealing with. I asked him if people at Chocovision had tried the machine recently (thinking it might be a "bad batch" of control cards since no other explanation makes any sense), and he said he himself had used the machine last weekend and the temperature feature worked. He concluded by asking, "What do you suggest we do?" I am non-plussed by the situation. I don't want to go through the hassle (and expense) of shipping another Rev 2 back to them, and certainly I can use the machine as it is, but if there is a feature, it ought to work. I guess if I owned the company, I would get my engineers to work on the issue (since obviously I have no motive to make this story up).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chocolate