Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Uses for butter solids

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 heidih

heidih
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 10,837 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

I just put a pan of baklava in the oven based on this excellent topic and now have a jar of 1/2 butter solids and some of the "clarified butter" at the top. I just melted the butter in the microwave and let the solids settle. Are there common or interesting uses for the solids? This is what become the "brown" in browned butter right? Maybe in a vegetable saute?

001.JPG

#2 Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock
  • society donor
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:45 PM

You can add them to butter when making brown butter, for more intense flavor. A lot of people do this routinely. Obviously, there are uses in baking. On the savory side, it can be used pretty much anyplace you'd use butter, if you don't mind the color.

#3 DiggingDogFarm

DiggingDogFarm
  • participating member
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:00 PM

I add it to cookies and the like.

~Martin

~Martin

Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, nonconformist and contrarian who questions everything!