Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Dessert using a smoker

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TDoodle

TDoodle
  • participating member
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:05 PM

I need to make a dessert to a potluck/work function at the end of January. I have a Bradley smoker and I thought that I could blow their minds by using it for a dessert (I normally use it for smoking fish), so I want to make a dessert using the smoker.
Smoked pineapple something?
Something with smoked apples (sauce)?
Carrot cake with smoked pineapple frosting?
Carrot cake with smoked pineapple?

Smoked pineapple is sticking in my head.

Can I get some help coming up with some ideas? And possibly some recipes if you are willing to part with them?

#2 Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock
  • society donor
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:24 PM

Smoked chocolate ice cream, you could adapt this recipe: http://cuisinetechno...late-ice-cream/

#3 tsp.

tsp.
  • participating member
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

Cacao smoked marshmallow - I think I've seen that done before, otherwise I just made it up then.
You could also try something with tobacco? Maybe a bourbon and Cuban cigar ice cream. Smoke the bourbon and go for a Bay of Pigs conflict food pairing.

Edited by tsp., 16 December 2012 - 09:13 PM.

#4 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:24 PM

Since ice cream is not the greatest thing to bring to a potluck, how about trying to smoke a cake? Chocolate, probably. Then frost it afterward for a nice sweet/smokey contrast.

#5 tsp.

tsp.
  • participating member
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:28 PM

You could smoke the butter even, perhaps some cardamom smoked butter in a lemon syrup type cake. Could be really good, or really bad.

#6 Bojana

Bojana
  • participating member
  • 219 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:58 AM

Smoked chocolate mousse cake, mmmm

#7 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,792 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:11 AM

Toss a few things in the smoker, taste them and think about what you could do with them. I cut some oranges in half and tossed them in to smoke while I was smoking some chocolate and marshmallows. I had a plan for the chocolate and marshmallows (aerated chocolate and toasted marshmallow ice cream), the oranges were just out of curiosity. I used them to make a smoked orange curd. I made a ganache with 70% chocolate, basil-infused cream and smoked tomato puree. I used it on an olive oil cake. Those experiments were tasty, some I've tried were less so... but they were all fun.
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#8 HungryC

HungryC
  • participating member
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:38 AM

I was thinking about smoked nuts as a component in a cake or cookie...

#9 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,998 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:55 AM

I smoke almonds a lot and add some smoked salt to make smoked almond bark.

#10 hongda

hongda
  • participating member
  • 113 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:31 AM

Smoke some of the bananas for a banana pudding, or trifle?

Smoked sugar to use in a flan?

#11 Baselerd

Baselerd
  • participating member
  • 467 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:58 AM

Smoked creme fraiche is always a good addition to a dessert.