Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Warming plates

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 liuzhou

liuzhou
  • participating member
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:45 AM

Microwaves, plate drawers, blowtorches.

How do you do yours?

#2 KennethT

KennethT
  • participating member
  • 837 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:49 AM

Since I rarely use my oven, and have practically no counter space, I set my oven to as low as it'll go. Winds up around 180F. My parents have tons of space - they have an electric hot-tray which works very well.

#3 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 19,620 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:53 AM

Moist plates and the microwave if we are short on time (which is typical).
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#4 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:20 AM

I'm with Chris Amirault here.
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#5 sadistick

sadistick
  • legacy participant
  • 959 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:39 AM

Preferably I fill the sink with hot water and submerge - I find you get a more consistent overall plate warm - the only down side, is drying.

I hate the microwave and try to use it as little as possible! Evil spawn!
"He who does not mind his belly, will hardly mind anything else."
- Samuel Johnson

#6 DiggingDogFarm

DiggingDogFarm
  • participating member
  • 730 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:44 AM

I pull the trays out of the dehydrator and set it on high, it'll warm plates in short order.

~Martin

~Martin

Unsupervised rebellious and radical farmer, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, nonconformist and contrarian who questions everything!

#7 dcarch

dcarch
  • participating member
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:48 AM

I bought workshop cotton towels from Home Depot, 50 white ones and 50 pink ones. They are about 12" x 12" each.

Put one wet one in between every two dishes and microwave. You will have a pile of hot hot hot dishes. The pile stays hot for over and hour until you put them out.

The towels are for general kitchen use, White for clean, and pink for dirty. When they get soiled, they go in the washing machine. It is very convenient to have lots of towels in the kitchen and not have to use paper towels.

For large serving platters, I use a table top butane stove under the platter. It keeps the platter and the food hot the entire dinner. Never cracked a platter.

For some recipes, I have a large block of Himalayan salt that I heat up in the oven to serve food on.

I refrigerate the salt block to keep sushi cool the entire meal.

dcarch

#8 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:44 AM

I bought workshop cotton towels from Home Depot, 50 white ones and 50 pink ones. They are about 12" x 12" each.

Put one wet one in between every two dishes and microwave. You will have a pile of hot hot hot dishes. The pile stays hot for over and hour until you put them out.

The towels are for general kitchen use, White for clean, and pink for dirty. When they get soiled, they go in the washing machine. It is very convenient to have lots of towels in the kitchen and not have to use paper towels.

For large serving platters, I use a table top butane stove under the platter. It keeps the platter and the food hot the entire dinner. Never cracked a platter.

For some recipes, I have a large block of Himalayan salt that I heat up in the oven to serve food on.

I refrigerate the salt block to keep sushi cool the entire meal.

dcarch

Brilliant!
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#9 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:08 AM

Hot water from the kitchen sink faucet. Rarely, a minimum-temp oven.

#10 Crouton

Crouton
  • participating member
  • 175 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:02 PM

The oven if it's not being used or the warming drawer if I remember to turn it on in time as it takes forever to come to temp. I have an unfounded fear if heating empty plates in the microwave.

#11 ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy
  • society donor
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:34 PM

Never even thought of microwave, I'm a 175 oven man.
Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...
Oakland, CA
My Place
My eGullet Foodblog
eG Ethics Signatory

#12 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 908 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

Warm oven works for me.

#13 Bojana

Bojana
  • participating member
  • 208 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:02 AM

Dry plates, 8-10 mins at 1000W microwave, works like a charm. Need oven gloves to take them out

#14 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,127 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:13 AM

I just use a king-size heating pad. I've tried all the other methods listed above but I keep going back to the heating pad.
Mine is like this - I got it at Walgreen's for half price. (17.95) when my old one died after 20 years...

It turns off automatically.

Edited by andiesenji, 17 December 2012 - 09:14 AM.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#15 dcarch

dcarch
  • participating member
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

Dry plates, 8-10 mins at 1000W microwave, works like a charm. Need oven gloves to take them out

You are probably doing stoneware plates. Some of them can get hot in a microwave.

I just use a king-size heating pad. I've tried all the other methods listed above but I keep going back to the heating pad.
Mine is like this - I got it at Walgreen's for half price. (17.95) when my old one died after 20 years...

The wet towel method, I can stack 12 plates 5 minutes in the microwave.

dcarch

#16 Baselerd

Baselerd
  • participating member
  • 454 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:44 AM

I like to place the plates in my oven for ~10 minutes at 200 F.

#17 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,127 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:39 PM

My good china can't go in a microwave because it has gold trim and it doesn't go in the dishwasher for the same reason.
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

#18 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:01 PM

I think hot plates are overrated.

Except for pasta. I put the bowls in the oven set to "Warm" about 10 minutes before serving.

#19 HowardLi

HowardLi
  • participating member
  • 410 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

My cooler. Why? It can have an immersion heater controlled by my sous vide system. While I'm keeping beef warm at 132-135 F, the plates too can be readied.

#20 forever_young_ca

forever_young_ca
  • participating member
  • 429 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

What a great idea. Do you simply wrap all the plates in the heating pad and keep them nice and cosy? If you have 12 plates or so do you need to layer the heating pad every few plates to make sure they all get warm?

How long does it take?
Life is short, eat dessert first

#21 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,127 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

What a great idea. Do you simply wrap all the plates in the heating pad and keep them nice and cosy? If you have 12 plates or so do you need to layer the heating pad every few plates to make sure they all get warm?

How long does it take?

I just wrap the entire stack - I set the stack half way on the end opposite the cord, bring the pad up over the top and tuck the end with the cord under - everything sets on a sheet of the non-slip shelf lining material but you could use a towel. I turn it on medium till the plates are warm and then turn it to low which keeps them just right. I actually have two pads because if I'm serving soup I also wrap the soup bowls.
I generally set this up hours ahead of time so all I have to do is flip the switch when the time is right. I do set a timer to remind me to turn it on.

#22 forever_young_ca

forever_young_ca
  • participating member
  • 429 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:27 PM

How long does it take?

I just wrap the entire stack - I set the stack half way on the end opposite the cord, bring the pad up over the top and tuck the end with the cord under - everything sets on a sheet of the non-slip shelf lining material but you could use a towel. I turn it on medium till the plates are warm and then turn it to low which keeps them just right. I actually have two pads because if I'm serving soup I also wrap the soup bowls.
I generally set this up hours ahead of time so all I have to do is flip the switch when the time is right. I do set a timer to remind me to turn it on.

I can see a second blanket being useful for platters and serving dishes. My good dishes have a gold rim, so can't go in the microwave. I will be trying this for Christmas dinner. I like the idea that you can set it up ahead of time and virtually forget about it. Thanks for the tip.
Life is short, eat dessert first

#23 OliverB

OliverB
  • participating member
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:34 PM

Mostly I warm them with the food I put on them ;-)

Other than that I use the oven, but I rarely remember. I like the wet towel in the microwave idea. Not sure about the dry plates in microwave though, as far as I know you're not supposed to run those empty and an empty plate would still seem "empty" to me? Also microwave safe dishes should not get warm at all in there. Check your manual, warm plates are not worth shortening the life of the machine.
"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"
- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

#24 HungryC

HungryC
  • participating member
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

The dishwashers rinse and heated dry cycle works well.

#25 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,127 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:27 PM

You can also get a "heating pad" specifically for plate warming (more expensive - Amazon sells them too)
Like these.

If you need to warm a lot of plates and don't want to use the dishwasher (like me).
You can also use a warming tray. I have several that I used a lot when I was catering and they are often found at reasonable cost on eBay.
I saw one at a thrift shop last month, NEW in original box - $10.00.