Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Chocolates with that Showroom Finish, 2012 –

Chocolate

• Please log in to reply
303 replies to this topic

#151 DancingLion Chocolates

DancingLion Chocolates
  • participating member
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

Thank you, Annabelle! We certainly had a wonderful time making them!

Kind regards,

Rich

-----------------------------------

"Chocolate As Art"

Dancing Lion Chocolate

DancingLionChocolate.com

#152 keychris

keychris
  • participating member
  • 181 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:00 AM

525444_292589177535630_608690442_n.jpg

yay piping!

#153 Jim D.

Jim D.
  • society donor
  • 266 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:45 AM

yay piping!

Very nice looking. Can you share any suggestions on how to do this? I get the basic technique, but when I have tried it, the lines have come out broken, especially on the sides of the mold. If you had used a flat dome or hemisphere kind of mold, I would understand how it worked, but you have one with fairly steep sides. I am guessing you held the tip of the piping bag very close to the mold. And perhaps the viscosity of the substance used (dark chocolate?) is also a key.

In any event, I have wanted to do this, but every time I have tried, I have ended up with random splotches on the mold.

Jim

#154 keychris

keychris
  • participating member
  • 181 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

Hi Jim,

thanks for the comment - starting piping in the middle of the mold and drag the piping bag along the surface of the mold out towards the rim. In this case, I had to tilt the mold as I was piping so that I could pipe up the side nicely. It's hard to describe without seeing! Basically, you're piping big Y shapes for that one, and the point where the lines in the Y intersect is where I started from.

Chris

#155 Jim D.

Jim D.
  • society donor
  • 266 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

Hi Jim,

thanks for the comment - starting piping in the middle of the mold and drag the piping bag along the surface of the mold out towards the rim. In this case, I had to tilt the mold as I was piping so that I could pipe up the side nicely. It's hard to describe without seeing! Basically, you're piping big Y shapes for that one, and the point where the lines in the Y intersect is where I started from.

Chris

Chris,
So I must ask: What lies beneath this zebra-like exterior? Knowing your work, I assume the decoration must be something related to the filling.

Jim

#156 keychris

keychris
  • participating member
  • 181 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

A raspberry confit on top of a balsamic ganache :)

857445_292589140868967_671562538_o.jpg

#157 lebowits

lebowits
  • participating member
  • 551 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

Hi Jim,

Chris

I imagine that took a very long time! 

Steve Lebowitz
Doer of All Things
Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

#158 mirihn

mirihn
  • participating member
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

Hello...   I'm new here, but I would like to hijack this awesome thread and ask for some troubleshooting tips.   When I am making molded chocolates with transfer sheets (magnetic molds) I often get ringing patterns on the top (photos attached).  

I am using E. Guittard 72% couverture, and sometimes add Mycryo.    Also tempering using a bain marie and the seeding method (at home, no fancy machines, I'm a hobbyist).   Transfer sheets are from ChefRubber, though I also see this with other acetate from the art store (for example, the oval shapes in the photos below).  I had been using the fridge to speed up filling/releasing process (until I read this thread and Grewling's books), but it happens even if I do everything at room temperature. 

What causes this, and how do I mitigate it?   It seems to happen even with the first pieces I make, so I don't think its simply that the chocolate is falling out of temper.  It's like it shrinks at different rates and pulls away from the acetate differently at the edges. 

Any help would be appreciated!

- Marianne

photo3.jpg

photo.jpg

#159 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,312 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

Welcome mirihn.  Unmolding marks like this happen on smooth surfaces.  It tends to be worse on lighter polycarbonate (cheaper molds) and on the acetate sheets that the cocoa butter is printed on for transfer sheets.

It's hard to eliminate entirely - but making sure the chocolate is as warm as possible in the working temperature range and leaving the chocolate in contact with the transfer overnight before pulling it off may help minimize the marks.

Do you put your molds in the fridge for a short while after making the shells to carry off the latent heat of crystallization?

#160 lebowits

lebowits
  • participating member
  • 551 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:01 PM

Guiness bon bons!  Of course, one of these things doesn't look like the others!

Steve Lebowitz
Doer of All Things

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

#161 lebowits

lebowits
  • participating member
  • 551 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:02 PM

Guess I need to figure out how to attach the image in the new software.

Guiness bon bons!  Of course, one of these things doesn't look like the others!

G

Steve Lebowitz
Doer of All Things

#162 lebowits

lebowits
  • participating member
  • 551 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:10 PM

OK.  Here they are... Guiness bon bons!

Attached Images

• Guiness Bon Bon.jpg

Steve Lebowitz
Doer of All Things

#163 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:37 PM

Sooo... do you ship to Canada? :biggrin:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#164 curls

curls
  • participating member
  • 375 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:15 PM

Beautiful!

#165 keychris

keychris
  • participating member
  • 181 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:11 AM

Those are just beautiful! I'd love to know how you get that application of metallic - so you mix it with something, I assume a cocoa butter based colour, finger apply then spray over it with the second colour?

cheers

Chris

#166 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:00 AM

They do look awesome but he had me at Guinness... after that, they could have looked like polished moose poop and I'd still be interested. Fortunately, they don't look anything like that.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#167 lebowits

lebowits
  • participating member
  • 551 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:15 AM

No, I don't ship to Canada, but I will be at the Niagara workshop in late April.  If you're nice, maybe I'll bring some. ;-)

Steve Lebowitz
Doer of All Things

#168 lebowits

lebowits
  • participating member
  • 551 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:16 AM

Those are just beautiful! I'd love to know how you get that application of metallic - so you mix it with something, I assume a cocoa butter based colour, finger apply then spray over it with the second colour?

cheers

Chris

Actually, it IS the cocoa butter.  Gold, in fact (has that nice shiny flake).

Steve Lebowitz
Doer of All Things

#169 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:05 AM

No, I don't ship to Canada, but I will be at the Niagara workshop in late April.  If you're nice, maybe I'll bring some. ;-)

I didn't actually expect you to ship them to me, that was just my way of saying they sound really good. I'm hoping to make the workshop but it honestly isn't looking too good right now. Had some unexpected stuff happening the past couple months that may make it financially not a good idea right now... but I haven't given up completely yet.

#170 lebowits

lebowits
  • participating member
  • 551 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:37 AM

Two pieces to round out my menu for the next few weeks...

Bailey's Irish Cream

Photo1 copy.jpg

and Lemongrass & Coconut  (I need to work on the decoration here a bit, but you get the idea)

Photo1.jpg

Steve Lebowitz
Doer of All Things

#171 The J

The J
  • participating member
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:56 AM

Those Bailey's ones look AMAZING.  How do you get them so shiny?

#172 curls

curls
  • participating member
  • 375 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

Steve, how did you decorate your lemongrass & coconut pieces? My best guess is that you are using templates and masking off section and then airbrushing but I'd like to know what you are really doing to get those effects.

#173 Chocolot

Chocolot
  • participating member
  • 421 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:05 PM

Sorry the photos are all on their side.

Today was about Easter eggs.

photoeggs.JPG

and Fresh Mint

photomint.JPG

and Root Beer Float

photorootbeer.JPG

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

#174 keychris

keychris
  • participating member
  • 181 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:17 PM

I love the colour on those eggs, just wonderful!

#175 keychris

keychris
  • participating member
  • 181 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:38 PM

It was a long weekend this weekend, so I pushed out some chocolates :)

555096_299224780205403_92841761_n.jpg

601579_299224773538737_1427603315_n.jpg

601040_299224666872081_1090151785_n.jpg

#176 DianaM

DianaM
  • participating member
  • 271 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:07 AM

Sorry the photos are all on their side.

Today was about Easter eggs. 

and Fresh Mint

and Root Beer Float

All the chocolates look beautiful, but those blue robin's eggs are really amazing!  

#177 lebowits

lebowits
  • participating member
  • 551 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:39 AM

Steve, how did you decorate your lemongrass & coconut pieces? My best guess is that you are using templates and masking off section and then airbrushing but I'd like to know what you are really doing to get those effects.

No masking in involved.  I first spray the green down on one end of the cavity.  That is a short burst just to give a small area of color.  Then I spray the yellow moving from behind the green towards the center of the cavity.  Finally, I spray the white over the whole area.  I need to make sure that I cover the rest of the cavity down the sides more completely, but I also don't want to waste cocoa butter given how expensive it is (and not nice tasting).

Oh, and the "stripe" is just milk chocolate that I piped across the mold, dropping some in a line through each cavity.  I rather like the semi-random nature of the path it takes.

Edited by lebowits, 13 March 2013 - 07:41 AM.

Steve Lebowitz
Doer of All Things

#178 mostlylana

mostlylana
  • participating member
  • 409 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:09 PM

It was a long weekend this weekend, so I pushed out some chocolates :)

555096_299224780205403_92841761_n.jpg

601579_299224773538737_1427603315_n.jpg

601040_299224666872081_1090151785_n.jpg

Cool texture sheet...  what company is it from?  I've never seen it before. 

My goodness, I don't know why I don't look at this thread more often.  Everyone's work is amazing!  Ruth, love  your eggs.  Steve, the Guiness bonbons are awesome and keychris - those zebra hearts are so cool!  ...and that's just this page!

I'll have to figure out how to post a picture again and come out to play :)

#179 curls

curls
  • participating member
  • 375 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:49 PM

No masking in involved.  I first spray the green down on one end of the cavity.  That is a short burst just to give a small area of color.  Then I spray the yellow moving from behind the green towards the center of the cavity.  Finally, I spray the white over the whole area.  I need to make sure that I cover the rest of the cavity down the sides more completely, but I also don't want to waste cocoa butter given how expensive it is (and not nice tasting).

Oh, and the "stripe" is just milk chocolate that I piped across the mold, dropping some in a line through each cavity.  I rather like the semi-random nature of the path it takes.

Steve, thank you very much for the detailed explanation. Did not realize that the "stripe" was milk chocolate, thought it was red colored cocoa butter. Some very interesting effects.

#180 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,312 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:40 PM

IMG_0529.jpg

IMG_0534.jpg

Swore I was done making eggs - but wanted to try out a new to me compressor - so let myself be talked into a batch of large fondant eggs for one of the docs.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chocolate