Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Chocolates with that Showroom Finish, 2012 –

Chocolate

• Please log in to reply
303 replies to this topic

#91 AnythingButPlainChocolate

AnythingButPlainChocolate
  • participating member
  • 79 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:51 AM

Posted Image

White chocolate with chili solid

Posted Image

Salted Muscovado truffle

Sorry about the sizes, they're large for zooming on my site.
Sian

"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy chocolate, and that's kinda the same thing really."

#92 curls

curls
  • participating member
  • 374 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:16 PM

They all look wonderful! Love the frogs and the "eggs"

#93 LynnFoodies

LynnFoodies
  • participating member
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:37 AM

Personal best for the first post here.

White chocolate and freeze dried raspberry powder

Posted Image

How cool, the pink blends perfectly with the white chocolate!
Food photos that make you hungry - Hungry Food Photography

#94 keychris

keychris
  • participating member
  • 181 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:36 PM

Is the 3 layer piece "Trifection"?

ah, I've found the recipe you're referring to in Chocolates & Confections. No, the recipe used is similar, but uses almond praline paste and pure hazelnut paste. I use commercially available pastes and as a result, the finished product is very smooth, with no graininess that I get when I prepare my own praline pastes.
cheers
Chris

#95 mostlylana

mostlylana
  • participating member
  • 409 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:07 PM

Personal best for the first post here.

White chocolate and freeze dried raspberry powder

Posted Image

I love it! Did you just add raspberry powder to white chocolate to get that effect? The 'speckles' look too perfectly spaced for that... care to share your secret? :)

#96 JustinThyme

JustinThyme
  • participating member
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:04 AM

I love it! Did you just add raspberry powder to white chocolate to get that effect? The 'speckles' look too perfectly spaced for that... care to share your secret? :)

Thanks. It is melted white chocolate and 2% freeze dried raspberry powder. I used one from http://fresh-as.com/index.html. Powder melts only partially in the chocolate, producing this effect.
Similar one with ground coffee:
Posted Image

#97 mostlylana

mostlylana
  • participating member
  • 409 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:39 AM

Thanks. It is melted white chocolate and 2% freeze dried raspberry powder. I used one from http://fresh-as.com/index.html. Powder melts only partially in the chocolate, producing this effect.
Posted Image

Thanks! What a great way to speckle - and add flavour :)

#98 DianaM

DianaM
  • participating member
  • 271 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:16 PM

Posted Image

These look amazing! What a great idea!

#99 Nigelodeon

Nigelodeon
  • participating member
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:46 PM

First time posting any of my work.

Those are white shell chocolates with fresh ginger, key lime, candied orange and a bit of Limoncello liquor infused in a dark chocolate ganache.

Decoration is a spraying of cocoa butter over the frozen chocolates. It creates that velvety look.

Cheers!

Posted Image

#100 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,644 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:23 PM

Very beautifully done, Nigelodeon. And welcome to eGullet.
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#101 mostlylana

mostlylana
  • participating member
  • 409 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:25 PM

Those are white shell chocolates with fresh ginger, key lime, candied orange and a bit of Limoncello liquor infused in a dark chocolate ganache.

Decoration is a spraying of cocoa butter over the frozen chocolates. It creates that velvety look.

Cheers!

Posted Image

Very Cool! (pun intended) :smile:

#102 lebowits

lebowits
  • participating member
  • 551 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:12 AM

Cheers!

Posted Image

Very Cool! (pun intended) :smile:

Those are really beautiful. Have you used this decorating technique before? How does it hold up over time?
Steve Lebowitz
Doer of All Things
Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

#103 AnythingButPlainChocolate

• participating member
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:30 AM

I've used the same technique in the past, it looks great until warm fingers touch them and the "flocking" melts leaving finger prints, or at least that's what's happened to mine.
Sian

"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy chocolate, and that's kinda the same thing really."

#104 JustinThyme

JustinThyme
  • participating member
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:49 PM

I've used the same technique in the past, it looks great until warm fingers touch them and the "flocking" melts leaving finger prints, or at least that's what's happened to mine.

Could they be served in paper wrapper to avoid touching them with fingers?
I love yours Salted Muscovado truffles, how did you achieve that effect, if it is not secret?

I was experimenting with big demisphere moulds and aerated chocolate, this is result:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#105 minas6907

minas6907
  • participating member
  • 628 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:58 PM

Oh wow...those are shiny. Nice work.

#106 AnythingButPlainChocolate

• participating member
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:21 PM

I love yours Salted Muscovado truffles, how did you achieve that effect, if it is not secret?

I was experimenting with big demisphere moulds and aerated chocolate, this is result:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Simply a case of playing with the airbrush and (in this case the tines of a fork) to get a large spatter pattern before casting as usual. One of the benefits of playing with colour is it's fun! It doesn't matter if it doesn't come out how you wanted as you don't have to mould until you're happy.
Sian

#107 AnythingButPlainChocolate

• participating member
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:29 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Again, as with Justin's moulds, these are large 7cm moulds.
Sian

#108 mostlylana

mostlylana
  • participating member
  • 409 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:45 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Aerated! Is that aerated chocolate or aerated ganache? Some time ago I started a thread to figure out how to do a mousse ganache that resembled the ones I had at La Maison du Chocolat and Patrick Rogers when I was in Paris. So light and airy! The answers I got were whip the ganache when cool (poor shelf life life this way as it collapses) or use a frappe. There are no frappe ingredients on the ingredients list of the ones mentioned. I kept one of the maison du chocolat mousse ganache chocolates for months and it held up without collapsing. Anyways, after all that ramble... if you're doing an aerated ganache, how are you going about it? I would love to perfect this type of ganache...

#109 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,308 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:37 AM

Aerated! Is that aerated chocolate or aerated ganache? Some time ago I started a thread to figure out how to do a mousse ganache that resembled the ones I had at La Maison du Chocolat and Patrick Rogers when I was in Paris. So light and airy! The answers I got were whip the ganache when cool (poor shelf life life this way as it collapses) or use a frappe. There are no frappe ingredients on the ingredients list of the ones mentioned. I kept one of the maison du chocolat mousse ganache chocolates for months and it held up without collapsing. Anyways, after all that ramble... if you're doing an aerated ganache, how are you going about it? I would love to perfect this type of ganache...

What were the ingredients listed?

#110 mostlylana

mostlylana
  • participating member
  • 409 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:10 AM

What were the ingredients listed?

I got the ingredients off of the 'maison' website. It's a boxed assortment ingredients list but you'll see there's no egg product or gelatin... This assortment includes the caramel mousse and the milk chocolate/hazelnut mousse. It was the caramel mousse that enthralled me - both theirs and Patrick Rogers. Stupidly good and sooooo light.

"Dark chocolate, milk chocolate, cream, sugar, butter, hazelnuts, almonds, invert sugar, fruits pulps, mint, orange extract, whole milk powder, glucose syrup, alcohol, citrus fruits rinds (orange, lemon), sweeteners (maltitol, sorbitol), colors : E100 curcumin, E160c paprika"

#111 Nigelodeon

Nigelodeon
  • participating member
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:53 AM

Cheers!

Posted Image

Those are really beautiful. Have you used this decorating technique before? How does it hold up over time?

Hello lebowits!
You actually let them dry for 24 hours (I prefer 48 hours) at room temp (18-20°C) and can be manipulated normally after that.

It is a really beautiful technique to use, but the only downside is that you need to let them dry at least 1 day.

Cheers!

#112 JenBunk

JenBunk
  • participating member
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:44 PM

Cheers!

Posted Image

Hello lebowits!
You actually let them dry for 24 hours (I prefer 48 hours) at room temp (18-20°C) and can be manipulated normally after that.

It is a really beautiful technique to use, but the only downside is that you need to let them dry at least 1 day.

Cheers!

Thanks for the tip! I didn't know that!
JB Chocolatier
www.jbchocolatier.com

#113 RobertM

RobertM
  • participating member
  • 453 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:33 AM

Here are some I just finished putting together. Top left is a Red Wine truffle; Top right is a a Hot Chili infused truffle I call Fire and Ice; bottom left is Guinness and bottom right is a variation of a "Hella" (Wyabau) caramel, chocolate and xtabentunTasteTV Entry September 2012.jpg

#114 tikidoc

tikidoc
  • participating member
  • 355 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:37 AM

Gorgeous as always, Bob! I'd love to hear more about the techniques you used, especially the blue one and the orange/yellow/red.

#115 RobertM

RobertM
  • participating member
  • 453 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:42 AM

Tikidoc - most of my "technique" is airbrushing - Fire and Ice is three colors blended together - the Hella is splattered cocoa butter, a solid color (airbrushed) and then both are backed with white cocoa butter - I burned up my cheap airbrush in the middle of the work and had to go buy another - I upgraded to "not as cheap" airbrush...

#116 DianaM

DianaM
  • participating member
  • 271 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:15 AM

Here are some I just finished putting together. Top left is a Red Wine truffle; Top right is a a Hot Chili infused truffle I call Fire and Ice; bottom left is Guinness and bottom right is a variation of a "Hella" (Wyabau) caramel, chocolate and xtabentun

Wow, they look amazing! Are you using Chef Rubber colours?

#117 RobertM

RobertM
  • participating member
  • 453 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:22 AM

DianaM - yes, all the colors are Chef Rubber -

#118 keychris

keychris
  • participating member
  • 181 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:58 PM

Posted Image

Lime from "Chocolate to Savour" by Kirsten Tibballs, released recently. I shall be making plenty from this book.
Chris

#119 Lior

Lior
  • participating member
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:59 AM

very shiny! wow!

#120 tikidoc

tikidoc
  • participating member
  • 355 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:29 AM

Posted Image

Lime from "Chocolate to Savour" by Kirsten Tibballs, released recently. I shall be making plenty from this book.
Chris

Gorgeous!!! How did you get that effect? I looked for the book on Amazon and it says it is out of print. Where did you get the book?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chocolate