Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Chocolates with that Showroom Finish, 2012 –

Chocolate

• Please log in to reply
303 replies to this topic

#31 patti_h

patti_h
  • participating member
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:24 PM

passion fruit honey butter ganache.078.JPG
  • Lisa Hoffman likes this

#32 curls

curls
  • participating member
  • 376 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:43 PM

patti_h, very pretty chocoaltes! What did you do to achieve that effect?

#33 patti_h

patti_h
  • participating member
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:39 PM

Thank you Donna! I splattered with Pink Quartz and then yellow topaz, then swirled some bronze with my finger not trying to get even coverage with it- these are my favorites so far. Several other molds did not go so well- the colored cocoa butter stuck to the mold. :(

#34 confiseur

confiseur
  • participating member
  • 203 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:35 AM

Many apologies if this question has beeen answered on the thread, if so please point me to the right page as I cannot find it!

Here goes then: ( sorry, no picture)

I have sprayed cocoa butter into the molds and then have no problem molding the chocolate and releasing the chocolates from the mold:

..however,the cocoa butter finish is really dull and not beautifully shiny as on the pictures on this thread..
Am I using the (PCB)cocoa butter too warm or too cold? I spray it at about 32c as instructed. Do I have to temper the cocoa butter before using?

Any assistance much appreciated!

#35 rod rock

rod rock
  • participating member
  • 292 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:58 AM

Chris this is awesome!!!

"The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live."

Franchise Takeaway

#36 tikidoc

tikidoc
  • participating member
  • 357 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:34 PM

Never thought I would be able to post something on this thread, but here are today's chocolates!

DSC_5277.jpg

DSC_5278.jpg

DSC_5282.jpg

DSC_5283.jpg

DSC_5287.jpg

I also dipped some wonderfully tart dried apricots from Trader Joe's with the tempered chocolate I had left over after capping, but those are considerably more, um, rustic. They sure taste good though!

Edited by tikidoc, 28 April 2012 - 04:39 PM.

#37 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,429 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:36 PM

Beautiful!

#38 Chocolot

Chocolot
  • participating member
  • 422 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:55 PM

VERY nice!!

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

#39 tikidoc

tikidoc
  • participating member
  • 357 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:22 PM

Thanks! I have some awesome teachers, Ruth and Kerry! Looking forward to learning more from y'all next year!

#40 Prabha

Prabha
  • participating member
  • 87 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:46 PM

Very nice, Jess! What flavors are they?

#41 tikidoc

tikidoc
  • participating member
  • 357 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:50 PM

The domes are dark chocolate and blood orange ganache in dark chocolate shell, the tear drops are milk chocolate hazelnut praline in a dark chocolate shell.

#42 curls

curls
  • participating member
  • 376 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:34 PM

Beautiful and the flavors sound great too!

#43 tikidoc

tikidoc
  • participating member
  • 357 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:44 PM

The blood orange is pretty much the same as what Mette made at the conference - dark chocolate, cream, butter, and the blood orange compound from Amoretti. They were nice enough to send me a few samples to play with.

#44 lironp

lironp
  • participating member
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:54 PM

tikidoc- these are beautiful, I love these colors, it makes the chocolates look like jewels!

I also have a question for whoever works with luster dust- I usually clean each cavity, then smear a thin layer of cocoa butter on the molds, then apply the luster dust with a brush, and then pour in the tempered chocolate. I find that if I don't apply the layer of cocoa butter, the dust doesn't stick well enough to the mold, and the chocolates don't come out as shiny, but on the other hand this process is very time consuming... Does anyone have a better method? Has anyone tried airbrushing the dust with alcohol and found that successful?

#45 tikidoc

tikidoc
  • participating member
  • 357 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:10 PM

Thanks, lironp.

I'd love to hear more about use of luster dust too. I have used it on dipped chocolates with good results, but never successfully with molded chocolates.

Jess

#46 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,429 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:26 PM

I've always put in on after with a plushy makeup brush. I seem to recall that one of Greweling's Chocolates (Green Fairy) I think used luster dust - do you have that book that you could check how he does it?

#47 DianaM

DianaM
  • participating member
  • 272 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:40 AM

tikidoc- these are beautiful, I love these colors, it makes the chocolates look like jewels!

I also have a question for whoever works with luster dust- I usually clean each cavity, then smear a thin layer of cocoa butter on the molds, then apply the luster dust with a brush, and then pour in the tempered chocolate. I find that if I don't apply the layer of cocoa butter, the dust doesn't stick well enough to the mold, and the chocolates don't come out as shiny, but on the other hand this process is very time consuming... Does anyone have a better method? Has anyone tried airbrushing the dust with alcohol and found that successful?

Hi lironp,

I never brush my mold with cocoa butter. With the mold that I am using, it would pool in corners and at the edges. So I just brush the luster dust into the cavity with a fluffy brush, then mold as usual.

It's true that the first time I've used the luster dust, only little of it stuck to the mold. But I've kept on using the same mold (without washing it, obviously), and now, after a few uses, the cavities have a layer of residual cocoa butter and luster dust which makes the newly-applied dust stick better. I hope this is making sense.

Also, I found that the brand of luster dust makes a difference. I used CK before and was NOT happy with the result. I switched to a different product, and now I'm really happy with the result. It's a Spanish brand called Sosa, I'm using their copper-coloured dust.

Diana

Attached Images

• Orange_dust.jpg

Edited by DianaM, 14 May 2012 - 07:41 AM.

#48 Mette

Mette
  • participating member
  • 301 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:52 PM

Diana, those are beautiful.

I've finally got around to playing with the new toy from the conference - the atomizer.

The colours are red, orange and gold, to go with the mandarin orange filling. The red and gold are mixed from cocoa butter and PCB's powdered colours, and they came out nicely. The orange is Wilton colour powder, and it is very, ehmmmmmm, subtle.... Looks like I hit the temper spot on - my normal downfall

My best shot with the mobile camera :rolleyes:

photo.JPG

#49 DianaM

DianaM
  • participating member
  • 272 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:37 PM

Cool speckles, Mette! The temper really is spot on, the shine on the chocs is awesome.

#50 lironp

lironp
  • participating member
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:21 AM

Posted Image

Thanks Kerry- I have the book, I'll see if he gives an explanation somewhere.
Diana- those are beautiful- I really like the copper on this shape. That, or the picture above (I think this was made by Mette?) are exactly what I'm trying to achieve.
Do you polish the cavities before applying the dust? On the one hand I find that gives a better shine, but on the other when I do that the dust doesn't stick as much...
It might be the brand- I have one dust by CK that barely adheres even when I apply the cocoa butter, I'll just try the others. Where do you get the SOSA brand from?

#51 DianaM

DianaM
  • participating member
  • 272 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:34 PM

Funny you should post Mette's pic, it's what inspired me to try luster dust on my chocs. :-)

I buy the Sosa luster dust from Lentia, together with pretty much all my confectionery ingredients. If you cannot find it at your regular ingredient distributor, try the PCB dusts. I think CK is more for cakes, fondant etc, and in my experience, it does not adhere well to chocolate. However, since PCB specializes in chocolate decorations, I would assume their dusts would work really well.

Polishing molds - I will polish a cavity if it has release marks. Otherwise a quick wipe with a soft non-static-y cloth, just to make sure nothing's in there. The harder I rub, the less dust will adhere, you noticed this as well.

What kind of mold are you using, domes?

#52 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,429 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:56 PM

Posted Image

Thanks Kerry- I have the book, I'll see if he gives an explanation somewhere.
Diana- those are beautiful- I really like the copper on this shape. That, or the picture above (I think this was made by Mette?) are exactly what I'm trying to achieve.
Do you polish the cavities before applying the dust? On the one hand I find that gives a better shine, but on the other when I do that the dust doesn't stick as much...
It might be the brand- I have one dust by CK that barely adheres even when I apply the cocoa butter, I'll just try the others. Where do you get the SOSA brand from?

I don't think these ones are done with luster dust - they look like the Jewel series of coloured cocoa butters by chef rubber.

#53 pastrygirl

pastrygirl
  • society donor
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:47 PM

Instead of doing a cocoa butter layer and a luster dust layer, why not just mix the luster dust with the liquid cocoa butter? I feel like I have done that before with fine result, though I don't think I have a photo. Isn't that essentially what the chef rubber jewel colors are, cocoa butter plus color plust luster dust? Why not do clear plus luster dust?

Like others, i just brush it in and it sticks to the mold and is (not amazingly, impossibly shiny but) shiny enough.

#54 tikidoc

tikidoc
  • participating member
  • 357 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:25 AM

Hey Mette, those are gorgeous, how did you make them???

Jess

#55 DianaM

DianaM
  • participating member
  • 272 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:41 AM

Jess, Mette explained here technique here:

http://forums.egulle...285#entry918285

#56 YetiChocolates

YetiChocolates
  • participating member
  • 130 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:35 AM

I've used the CK lustre dusts with perfect results. My avatar pic is using the CK rouge flambe and holly green lustre dusts. I've also used others and have had no problem with them sticking to the molds. I just use a paint brush and brush them into the mold, they adhere much better than on hand dipped chocolates I've found. I also don't have any problems with them sticking to the mold, I just brush in a thin layer and it adheres perfectly to the mold. It's less finicky than using colored cocoa butters for me.

However I recently purchased a new batch of lustre dusts by CK from a company and they had these glaring stickers that said "Not approved for edible consumption by the FDA". I know a lot of you guys are from other countries, but those who are from the States, what's your take on using lustre dusts on your chocolates?

I've started swapping over to using colored cocoa butters sadly because I'm afraid of getting sued in the long run for using lustre dusts on my chocolates, even though I prefer to use the lustre dusts for certain chocolates. Thoughts???

#57 lironp

lironp
  • participating member
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:39 AM

Funny you should post Mette's pic, it's what inspired me to try luster dust on my chocs. :-)

I buy the Sosa luster dust from Lentia, together with pretty much all my confectionery ingredients. If you cannot find it at your regular ingredient distributor, try the PCB dusts. I think CK is more for cakes, fondant etc, and in my experience, it does not adhere well to chocolate. However, since PCB specializes in chocolate decorations, I would assume their dusts would work really well.

Polishing molds - I will polish a cavity if it has release marks. Otherwise a quick wipe with a soft non-static-y cloth, just to make sure nothing's in there. The harder I rub, the less dust will adhere, you noticed this as well.

What kind of mold are you using, domes?

I'm using both the dome molds like in Mette's picture, and diamond ones like yours. I tried some of these molds again, this time with a diferent luster dust that did adhere, however without applying a layer of cocoa butter before- they turned out shiny, but definitely not as shiny as before, I guess I need to decide if it's worth the extra effort...

#58 lebowits

lebowits
  • participating member
  • 554 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:11 AM

It's been a while since I've shared photos of my own work so here are a few...

IMG_2141.JPG
This picture shows the 15 different pieces I'm currently making for my "Spring 2012 Menu".

IMG_2145.JPG
From Left to Right: Hot Chocolate, Orange Blossom Special, Creme Brulee, Mocha, Tropical Paradise

IMG_2147.JPG
From Left to Right: Cherry Bomb, Milk Chocolate Truffle, Caramel Apple, Heart of Darkness, Fleur de Sel Caramel

IMG_2148.JPG
From Left to Right: Passionate Heart, Toasted Hazelnut Cup, Mint Meltaway, Champagne Truffle, Peanut Butter Cup
  • Lisa Hoffman likes this
Steve Lebowitz
Doer of All Things
Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

#59 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,667 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:55 AM

Oh my. How lovely, Steve.
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#60 lironp

lironp
  • participating member
  • 94 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:30 AM

Steve- everything looks amazing!!! My favorite is the passion fruit heart, I'm a sucker for pink

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chocolate