Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Chocolates with that Showroom Finish, 2012 –

Chocolate

• Please log in to reply
303 replies to this topic

#301 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,310 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:21 PM

One of my two offerings for Vegas.  For those of you who don't already know I'll keep the filling a secret.  Happy with my shine however.

Elk_zpsd1aa5212.jpg

Does it contain shine?   One of mine does!

• Smithy and gfron1 like this

#302 minas6907

minas6907
  • participating member
  • 628 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:05 PM

That is one sexy piece of chocolate

#303 Stu Jordan

Stu Jordan
  • participating member
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:22 PM

Yes, humidity was the main problem.  It thickens up fast.  I tossed in a little bit of cocoa butter and that seemed to help.  And worked as fast as I could!  We fired up our AC for the first time on Thursday, so I was initially afraid that I was going to be trying to make chocolates in 80+ degree heat.  Luckily, we got it fixed Friday.

As for durien, it's pretty hard to describe.  The texture is sort of custard-like and very luxurious and creamy.  The flavor is quite sweet and rich, and I think it is delicious but my kids hate it.  And yea, it smells... strange.  I think "fetid" is an overstatement. The chocolate mellows the flavor, and enrobing the sliced ganache pretty much eliminates the smell.  I get durien at a local Asian grocery. They usually have frozen durian available, and occasionally the whole fruit.  I pretty much just use the frozen because the fruit is huge, and I'd end up having to freeze most of it anyway.

Durian is, in my opinion, the most vile fruit to be grown on Planet Earth. Fetid is a pretty good description of the smell - in fact, many asian hotels ban guests from preparing durian in their rooms because of the smell it leaves behind. Some people do actually like it, and texturally it is pleasant, but for me the smell and flavour make me retch. Interestingly, I have some Durian chocolate in my office right now that someone brought back from Asia for me - safe to say the box is still unopened!

Stu Jordan - Chocolatier

Kako Chocolate: Where Art & Chocolate Meet

Wholesale - Chocolate School - Chocolate Making Equipment

www.kako.co.nz   www.sweetest.co.nz

#304 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,310 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:18 AM

Durian is, in my opinion, the most vile fruit to be grown on Planet Earth. Fetid is a pretty good description of the smell - in fact, many asian hotels ban guests from preparing durian in their rooms because of the smell it leaves behind. Some people do actually like it, and texturally it is pleasant, but for me the smell and flavour make me retch. Interestingly, I have some Durian chocolate in my office right now that someone brought back from Asia for me - safe to say the box is still unopened!

Say what you will - the durian chocolates that Tikidoc made were quite lovely!  A lovely tropical fruity flavour.  None of the vile smell seems to escape from the bon bon itself.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chocolate