Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Dates and chocolate

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:54 PM

It is date season here in the desert and I have become obsessed with them, particularly eating them with dark chocolate. I am not much of a candy maker, but hope Kerry or others might have a suggestion for making a simple, unadorned date truffle or something else with chocolate (even a cake) that might make a nice gift. I have access to about 6 or 7 varieties of freshly harvested fruit, from my favority caramel-y "Golds" to the giant medjool. Thanks.

#2 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,303 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:42 AM

Popular in some of the older books I have are dates stuffed with almond paste then candied or half dipped in chocolate.

#3 Baselerd

Baselerd
  • participating member
  • 459 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:53 AM

You can also make a date puree, use that in any pastry or chocolate that you would with another fruit puree.

#4 pastameshugana

pastameshugana
  • society donor
  • 406 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:01 AM

I always bring chocolate for my date (Mrs. Meshugana)... oh wait...

:p
PastaMeshugana
"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."
"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father
My eG Food Blog (2011)

#5 Nathalie

Nathalie
  • participating member
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

http://www.channel4....marzipan-recipe

I found this recipe earlier, would make some for Christmas if it wasn't for the fact that there's already too much here to eat...

#6 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

Popular in some of the older books I have are dates stuffed with almond paste then candied or half dipped in chocolate.

Oh dear god. The deliciousness. The sheer, sheer deliciousness of this....I don't think I can take it!

(the chocolate version anyway :laugh: )