Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Gulf of Maine Shrimp - 2013 season

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rlibkind

rlibkind
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:22 PM

There may be no season next year:

http://bangordailyne...ing-moratorium/
Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

#2 johnnyd

johnnyd
  • participating member
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

Season is on but catch quota has been cut 75%

http://www.presshera...mp-season-.html

Trawl harvests begin 1/22/13 and trappers can start 2/5/12. I always felt a little funny buying them with all their eggs attached.
"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II
Portland Food Map.com

#3 Peter the eater

Peter the eater
  • participating member
  • 2,610 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:15 PM

Local shrimp doesn't make the news in Halifax. Sad but true.
Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .
Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .
Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

#4 johnnyd

johnnyd
  • participating member
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:46 AM

You know what Peter? There were 3 totes of Canadian shrimp at Portland's Harbor Fish a couple weeks ago for five bucks a pound. Needless to say, I bought some. I don't know the details but I assume that's going to happen again.

People here complain about flawed studies pointing to decline of biomass. I'd like to see what Canadian studies have determined
"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

Portland Food Map.com

#5 johnnyd

johnnyd
  • participating member
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

First shrimp boat pulled up to Harbor Fish dock today at noon. $3.49/lb or $2.99/lb after 5bs

Portland Food Map.com

#6 johnnyd

johnnyd
  • participating member
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:08 AM

There isn’t enough data to prove conclusively why the shrimp population has been decimated, but warming ocean temperatures likely play a major role, Waine said. The Gulf of Maine has seen record temperatures in recent years, and Northern shrimp in the gulf can’t tolerate the heat.

http://www.workingwa...t-Season/15187/

Portland Food Map.com

#7 LindaK

LindaK
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,885 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

Thanks for the updates. sad to see the season become so short, these sweet beauties used to be so plentiful.

We generally get Maine shrimp during the season here in Boston, but I haven't seen any yet. Price the past couple of years was generally $5-7 lb headless.

#8 johnnyd

johnnyd
  • participating member
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:24 AM

This just in:

Starting next Wednesday, shrimp boats will be able to fish 7 days a week.  The season will officially close April 12th or until quota is reached.  Given the low catch rates so far, 4/12 closing is very likely.

peeled shrimp is $11.99/lb on Portland's waterfront retail.  I've eaten a about a pound a week, sauteed in various ways

Portland Food Map.com

#9 johnnyd

johnnyd
  • participating member
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:15 AM

Recent Portland news article calls shrimp season "a bust". 

http://www.presshera...nto-a-bust.html

This year's catch is the lowest since 1978 when the fishery was shut down altogether - There is a possibility that will actually happen next year

Portland Food Map.com