Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Any Good Burger Books Out There?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 reuvens

reuvens
  • participating member
  • 191 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

It seems to me that there are "must" reads about the most delicious sandwich in the world. please share some book ideas with me.

#2 Markm

Markm
  • participating member
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

Burger Bar by Hubert Keller is good. I hear Bobby Flay has a good one, but I haven't read it.

#3 lindag

lindag
  • participating member
  • 375 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:16 AM

Rachel Ray has some burger books. Oh, wait. You said "good".

#4 slkinsey

slkinsey
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:37 AM

A book to get is The Hamburger: a History by Josh Ozersky, which I believe is the definitive work at this point.
Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

#5 Alex

Alex
  • participating member
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

Flay's book is called Bobby Flay's Burgers, Fries, and Shakes -- rated 4½ stars on Amazon. There's an interesting little book, James McNair's Burgers, from 1992, that has a combination of well-known chefs' recipes, his own recipes, and winning recipes from the Build a Better Burger Contest.
Gene Weingarten, writing in The Washington Post about online news stories and their readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"A vasectomy might cost as much as a year’s worth of ice cream, but that doesn’t mean it’s equally enjoyable." -Ezra Dyer, NY Times

#6 flourgirl

flourgirl
  • participating member
  • 145 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:11 AM

I have Bobby's book. Everything looks delicious in that book. I haven't made any of those recipes because we like our burgers more simple but I have cooked with his other books. Everything I make of Bobby's is a home run.