Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Dough for Galette

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

Anyone have a good recipe for a galette dough, for both sweet and savory uses? There are a few on line but I'd love to get some eGullet recco's. Thanks!

.... Shel

#2 RWood

RWood
  • participating member
  • 274 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

I've used this one for years, and it works great. It's from David Lebovitz I believe. I add grated parmesan to it before and it made it even more flaky. I've found I like the way it comes out of the food processor the best.

11-1/4 oz. (2-1/2 cups) all-purpose flour
2 Tbs. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
8 oz. (16 Tbs.) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces and chilled
5 oz. (about 2/3 cup) ice water

In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, and salt. Cut in the chilled butter using a stand mixer, a food processor, or a pastry blender until the butter is evenly distributed but still in large, visible pieces. Add the ice water all at once to the flour and butter. Mix the dough just until it begins to come together (if using a stand mixer or a food processor, be especially careful not to overmix the dough). Gather the dough with your hands -- don't worry if you see streaks of butter -- and shape it into two disks. Wrap the disks in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

#3 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:42 PM

I've used this one for years, and it works great. It's from David Lebovitz I believe. I add grated parmesan to it before and it made it even more flaky. I've found I like the way it comes out of the food processor the best.

11-1/4 oz. (2-1/2 cups) all-purpose flour
2 Tbs. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
8 oz. (16 Tbs.) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces and chilled
5 oz. (about 2/3 cup) ice water

Great! That's one that I found on line that looked good, and I added it to my recipe collection. Thanks!

Edited by Shel_B, 29 November 2012 - 06:42 PM.

.... Shel

#4 jmacnaughtan

jmacnaughtan
  • participating member
  • 179 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:01 AM

It's traditional to use puff pastry, and inverted puff gives great results. Apparently Pierre Hermé uses it for all his puff applications, including his galettes des rois.

#5 Will

Will
  • participating member
  • 460 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

I used a pie dough for one recently with good success, using the proportions from a recent Sunset magazine (3 C flour, Tbsp sugar, 1.5 tsp salt; 1 C fat (I used Earth Balance veg shortening)). I modified slightly by using the vodka method, so instead of 2/3 C of cold water, I used 2/3 C of a very cold 50/50 vodka / water mixture. My flakiest crust yet. I don't eat dairy, but I'm sure it would be even better with butter.

Edited by Will, 30 November 2012 - 02:17 PM.