Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Congrats to Rancho Gordo!

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo
  • participating member
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:42 PM

Sorry, I missed this. Thanks. We were part of Bon Appetit's Hot 10 one year. It was very glamorous and they flew me to NY and there was a huge party. Ted was the host and he's been a great supporter ever since. I love when people had no idea about beans and then they discover heirlooms and flip out.
I haven't seen it yet but apparently we're in this month's Cooks Illustrated in a heartbreaking article about canned beans. I think they like the canned fine but they also like ours. I'm happy for the attention but friends don't let friends eat canned beans. The fact that you have to rinse the slimy bean broth off of them is reason enough!

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!
Twitter @RanchoGordo
"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

#32 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:08 PM

friends don't let friends eat canned beans

Exactly...so start shipping to Canada! :biggrin: 

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#33 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:28 PM

Exactly...so start shipping to Canada! :biggrin: 

Rancho Gordo is even available in New Zealand - seen it in a couple of places now.  If it's not in Canada, you Canadians must have been very bad in a past life.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#34 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:16 PM

Rancho Gordo is even available in New Zealand - seen it in a couple of places now.  If it's not in Canada, you Canadians must have been very bad in a past life.

It actually may be available somewhere in Canada. But Canada's a pretty big place and e-commerce here is improving but still relatively non-existent. I live in a pretty remote area far from any of the major business areas in Canada so I do a fairly large amount of online shopping. As much as I'd like to help the economy by online shopping within Canada, not many businesses want to make money that way here so a lot of my money goes across the border.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.