Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Congrats to Rancho Gordo!

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 thock

thock
  • participating member
  • 291 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:41 PM

Rancho Gordo's beans made Bon Appetit's list of "Essential ingredients you shouldn't cook without."

http://shopping.yaho...462.html?page=2

"Rancho Gordo Dried Beans

"One of the main reasons that BA is obsessed with these heirloom beans is because of the Napa-based company’s high turnover rate: In other words, they’re some of the freshest dried legumes on the market, so they cook in less time. And also because, well, if Rancho Gordo is good enough for the French Laundry and Per Se ... turn it into dinner: A pot of beans is the start of bean salads, hearty soups, burritos, quick hummus, rice and beans, or, if you really want to go for it, a big, beautiful winter-is-officially-here cassoulet."

I've never bought any, but lots of people on eGullet have, and have raved about the quality of RG's beans.
Tracy
Lenexa, KS, USA

#2 eldereno

eldereno
  • society donor
  • 292 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:47 PM

Congrats, Rancho Gordo! I have ordered beans from him and have been very happy! Just wish I had more people to feed so I could justify buying more!
Donna

#3 Maison Rustique

Maison Rustique
  • participating member
  • 545 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:37 PM

Congrats, Steve! Not that it's news to me--I already knew they were essential!! :smile:
Deb
Liberty, MO

#4 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,492 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:58 PM

I will add my congratulations too, Steve. I have recommended your beans and other products to numerous people. My daughter, who lives in Livermore, has bought products at the Ferry Plaza, at Rainbow Market (also my suggestion) and a store in Berkeley. We are both fans and supporters of sustainable agriculture.
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#5 Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock
  • society donor
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:56 PM

Congrats Steve!

#6 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:56 PM

Congrats Steve!! Well deserved recognition for someone who works hard and does good. Cheers to you!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

#7 GordonCooks

GordonCooks
  • participating member
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:03 AM

Felicitaciones Rancho Gordo!

#8 HungryC

HungryC
  • participating member
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:10 AM

This thread reminds me I need to reorder some Rio Zape beans...quite possibly the most delicious dried beans I have ever cooked.

#9 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo
  • participating member
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:39 AM

Thanks all. The old timers may remember a time when I was able to hang out and post all over the place, especially on Mexican and California threads. I even met many of my best friends here on eG, even traveling partners to Mexico! I'm old enough to know you don't always work hard and then get rewarded so the success is especially sweet. eGullet has been part of the equation.
Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!
Twitter @RanchoGordo
"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

#10 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

Andiesenji mentioned that Rancho Gordo beans could be purchased at a store in Berkeley. I was about to buy some on line, but would much prefer purchasing locally, especially if the beans are fresh. Where in Berkeley, or other nearby communities, can the beans be purchased? Thanks!

.... Shel

#11 Joe Blowe

Joe Blowe
  • participating member
  • 680 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

http://ranchogordo.c...et_schedule.htm
So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

#12 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,492 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

Andiesenji mentioned that Rancho Gordo beans could be purchased at a store in Berkeley. I was about to buy some on line, but would much prefer purchasing locally, especially if the beans are fresh. Where in Berkeley, or other nearby communities, can the beans be purchased? Thanks!

It's the Pasta Shop in the Rockridge Market Mall - You can phone first to see if they have them in stock. It's tough to get through the place without spending a ton, so don't take a credit card... :rolleyes:
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

#13 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:52 PM

http://ranchogordo.c...et_schedule.htm

THANKS!

.... Shel

#14 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:55 PM

It's the Pasta Shop in the Rockridge Market Mall - You can phone first to see if they have them in stock. It's tough to get through the place without spending a ton, so don't take a credit card... :rolleyes:

Oh, I'm familiar with the pasta shop. Been going there for many years, although I've not been there for about a year. Thanks!

.... Shel

#15 ojisan

ojisan
  • participating member
  • 377 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:47 PM

[Where is the "Like" button?]

Some years ago, I was given a Xmas gift of assorted RG beans, and have been an advocate ever since.

Monterey Bay area

#16 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:07 PM

Congratulations Steve. Well deserved!

#17 Zeemanb

Zeemanb
  • participating member
  • 758 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

Congratulations! I always have an assortment on hand, and we're very lucky to have plenty of chefs in the KC area who use a variety of RG beans.....the best recent dish was from Max Watson at Remedy- pork belly and pancakes topped with fried scarlet runners. Steve, when you're back in town you've got some good eating to do!

#18 rod rock

rod rock
  • participating member
  • 292 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:38 AM

Congratulations! Nice news.

Edited by rod rock, 04 December 2012 - 05:39 AM.

"The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live."

Franchise Takeaway

#19 emmalish

emmalish
  • participating member
  • 924 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:52 AM

Congratulations Steve! I've been dying to try some of these beans for the longest time. I hope you branch out northwards soon. (hint hint) :-)

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

#20 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,462 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:33 AM

Let me add my congratulations to Rancho Gordo.

We are also big fans of, not only his beans, but several of his fine products. Yep, they can be a little bit more expensive, but like everything else in life, quality costs more.

Recent happy finds: His Mexican chocolate for making into hot drinks. As I've said elsewhere, we make our Mexican hot chocolate with water, in the manner of many Mexicans ("Like Water for Chocolate"- which is reference to the simmering bubbling hot water when it's ready to add the chocolate and beat), and then top it with cool whipped cream, and RG's chocolate is miles above the other brands we've found readily available - Abuelita and Ibarra.

And "Felicidad - Chipotle Salsa," which we love. This is a particular boon to me because I love that distinctive smokey chipotle flavor, but a little goes a long way. Usually, when I prepared some chipotle just to put a dab or two into something, like guacamole or scrambled eggs or whatever, I had a whole lot left over. Sure, I can put it into a little plastic bag and freeze it, but a shake or two of "Felicidad" accomplishes the same thing, and it's much, much easier.

As for the beans, last night I cooked up a pot of RG scarlet runners. Cooked them in chicken broth. Added some seasonings, most notably RG's fantastic Indio Oregano (which, frankly, absolutely everybody should try and which is deserving of a full-page article in Bon Appetit all by itself), and garlic, onion, rosemary, and the other usual Italian suspects. Then, in a separate frypan, browned some country-style pork ribs in olive oil and, when they were nice and brown, added them to the bean pot to simmer until tender. I served this with bruschetta with the tomato/basil topping, and boy, what a meal.

I do hear and take note of the occasional grumbling about the prices. But it's like everything else in life... The commonplace is there and acceptable and an absolutely essential foundation in our lives. Sometimes, though, it's nice to go for the cut above.

ETA: Just wanted to add that for anyone thinking over Christmas gifts, RG has a "Year of Beans" option, which I'm getting for my Dad. He lives in a retirement home apartment. He doesn't have much room and choosing presents for him always presents a dilemma. But he does have a small kitchen and he still loves to cook. I've bought RG beans for him before (especially the gift boxes), and it's a nice luxury. He can just cook up a few at a time. They're easy, nutritious (he has to watch his fat and salt intake), versatile, and he loves them. So this Christmas, I'm going for that "Year of Beans" thing. It will be really festive for him to get the different products and bean varieties that otherwise he might not try. Something fun to look forward to and to talk about with his buddies. Both of which are nice any time and under any circumstance but are particularly nice when you live in a retirement home.

Edited by Jaymes, 06 December 2012 - 10:22 AM.

"And you, you're just a stinker."

#21 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,462 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:05 AM

Another national shoutout to eGullet member Rancho Gordo. This time in the Wall Street Journal!

In addition to raving about the beans, they mention something that's possibly even more worthwhile and that's the good work RG is doing toward saving heirloom varieties that otherwise might be extinct:

"This winter, through its Xoxoc Project, which supports Mexico's producers, the West Coast [Rancho Gordo] farm introduced Alubia Blanca from San Jose Iturbide, a small town in the Sierra Gorda of Quertero. Near extinction, these white gems have been in their farmer's family for generations; each year, he saves seeds to preserve the strain."

Wall Street Journal "Bits & Bites" article: http://online.wsj.co...4233131354.html

#22 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,492 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:33 PM

Thanks for posting that Jaymes. We need more positive news about preserving heirloom varieties so the multinational giant ag monsters don't take over everything we eat.

#23 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,462 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

Another national shoutout to eGullet member Rancho Gordo. This time in the Wall Street Journal!

In addition to raving about the beans, they mention something that's possibly even more worthwhile and that's the good work RG is doing toward saving heirloom varieties that otherwise might be extinct:

"This winter, through its Xoxoc Project, which supports Mexico's producers, the West Coast [Rancho Gordo] farm introduced Alubia Blanca from San Jose Iturbide, a small town in the Sierra Gorda of Quertero. Near extinction, these white gems have been in their farmer's family for generations; each year, he saves seeds to preserve the strain."

Wall Street Journal "Bits & Bites" article: http://online.wsj.co...4233131354.html

Well, silly me. Just now realized that I linked to LAST YEAR'S Wall Street Journal's recommendation for Rancho Gordo.

This year, it was "Ancient Salt Sampler from Rancho Gordo."

Quote:
Ancient Salt Sampler | Steve Sando of Napa, Calif.-based Rancho Gordo traverses Mexico to find the rare and wonderful products he sells. His latest obsession: salt. There's his Flor de Sal, a delicate finishing salt harvested in the Yucatán. His chunky Sal de Mar can be ground or simply plunked, rock by rock, into a pot. Perhaps the most magical is the Mixteca, from ancient mines in Puebla: Naturally high in bicarbonates, it softens beans and preserves vegetables' color as they cook. $26, ranchogordo.com (F. Martin Ramin for The Wall Street Journal)

http://graphicsweb.w...ilter=.Gourmand

#24 Maison Rustique

Maison Rustique
  • participating member
  • 545 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

Cool! Thanks for pointing that out, Jaymes!!
Deb
Liberty, MO

#25 Smithy

Smithy
  • host
  • 4,186 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:47 PM

Add my congratulations! It's great to see Rancho Gordo / Steve get good recognition for his work and his products!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

#26 Syzygies

Syzygies
  • participating member
  • 277 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:47 AM

It's the Pasta Shop in the Rockridge Market Mall

I've also spotted them at Monterey Market http://www.montereymarket.com - call.
Per la strada incontro un passero che disse "Fratello cane, perche sei cosi triste?"
Ripose il cane: "Ho fame e non ho nulla da mangiare."

#27 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,644 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:59 AM

Just a bump up to congratulate Steve on a little blurb by Ted Allen recommending Rancho Gordo beans in the April 2014 issue of Food Network magazine.

• Maison Rustique likes this

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”
– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

#28 OliverB

OliverB
  • participating member
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:00 PM

well deserved! Reminds me I need to restock :-)

As for price, yes, they are more expensive than what you get at the supermarket, but a) they are much much better and b) more expensive still does not spell expensive here, we're not talking about $20/lb of beans. A bag feeds us easy 3 or more times, so the price difference is completely irrelevant. And now? Heading over to their site, I'm down to one bag :-)

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"
- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

#29 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:22 PM

Congratulations, Steve!  Well deserved, indeed!

#30 scubadoo97

scubadoo97
  • participating member
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:31 PM

Thanks Steve for your commitment to higher standards and the preservation of heirloom varietals. Well deserved recognition