Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Tempering thermometer broken! What can I get on short notice?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jrshaul

jrshaul
  • participating member
  • 483 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:55 AM

I'm supposed to make a large sum of chocolates for a party, but my thermocouple thermometer has started measuring thirty degrees low. I don't have time for anything to arrive in the mail, and I need to temper some chocolate. Can anyone make a suggestion?

#2 Mjx

Mjx

Senior Host

• host
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:33 AM

Where are you located (i.e. nearest city or town), and what's your budget?

Given the temperature range involved, a basal thermometer should do the trick, and according to eG member Robert Jueneman, they're reasonably priced and accurate, and they seem to be widely available (e.g Eckerd, Rite Aid, Target).

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Senior Host, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#3 Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock
  • society donor
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:17 AM

Smart & Final has regular old school mercury and newer instant read thermometers near the checkout. They are a fairly large chain, located in most larger cities.

#4 Edward J

Edward J
  • participating member
  • 1,138 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:58 AM

Go to your drugstore, find a regular thermomter, the kind your Mom used to put under your tongue when you had a fever.

Look, the melting temp and working temp of couverture is almost the same as human body temp (32 C vs 36/37 C). The "fever" thermometer is accuate within 10ths of a degree.

It'll do, it'll do very well, and it's cheap and easily obtainable.

#5 jrshaul

jrshaul
  • participating member
  • 483 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

I'm in Madison, WI.

That said, I think one of the above options will cover it - you folks are absolutely 100% full of win. Thanks!

#6 jrshaul

jrshaul
  • participating member
  • 483 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:42 PM

The standard oral thermometers at Wallgreens dont' go above 102F or below 95F; the ovulation thermometers appear to have an even narrower range. Any suggestions for a specific model?

#7 Mjx

Mjx

Senior Host

• host
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:14 PM

Hm. That range seems too high (based on what pastrygirl, who's a pro, said in another topic). If there aren't any decent kitchen supply shops in your area, what about lab supply shops?

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Senior Host, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#8 rickster

rickster
  • participating member
  • 765 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

30 seconds of googling came up with a couple of kitchen supply stores in Madison, including a WIlliams Sonoma. Seems pretty easy to call one of them up.

Edited by rickster, 28 November 2012 - 02:56 PM.

#9 jrshaul

jrshaul
  • participating member
  • 483 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:34 PM

I called both of the restaurant supply stores Google returned; Williams Sonoma had a thermocouple thermometer, but for more than I'd just paid for 22 pounds of coverture. Ouch.

It turns out that my $100+ thermometer is working fine - it's the probe that's malfunctioning. In what I feel was a fairly heroic fix, I removed the thermocouple from the original probe and, after hollowing it out with a tiny screwdriver, inserted a replacement thermocouple. It measures beautifully, though the poor thermal conductivity makes it awfully slow.

#10 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,870 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:38 AM

I pick up infrared thermometers from Canadian Tire when they go on special - I find they work quite well for tempering. A bunch of folks from the chocolate conference last year took them home.

#11 jrshaul

jrshaul
  • participating member
  • 483 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:06 PM

I pick up infrared thermometers from Canadian Tire when they go on special - I find they work quite well for tempering. A bunch of folks from the chocolate conference last year took them home.

Can you link to the specific model? My present IR thermometer is inadequately accurate, and I would be interested in an inexpensive replacement of required precision.

#12 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,870 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:50 PM

Can you link to the specific model? My present IR thermometer is inadequately accurate, and I would be interested in an inexpensive replacement of required precision.

Here you go. Now ignore the $99 - they are generally on sale. Anything from $39 up.