Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2012–2014)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
549 replies to this topic

#181 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

Lunch on Saturday:

• Beef shanks stewed w/ sautéed smashed garlic, a few slices of ginger, "Fu Yee" (fermented bean curd preserved in sesame oil), bamboo shoots, "Kum Chum" (lily buds), and "Far Koo" (flower-patterned thick-cap shiitake mushrooms).   Eaten w/ "vegetarian" egg noodles (Vietnamese brand). 

• Trimmed "Gai Lan" inner parts/hearts & stems blanched in oiled hot water, drizzled w/ Ponzu sauce & dressed w/ ground white pepper. 

DSCN7777a_1k.jpg  

DSCN7779a_1k.jpg  

DSCN7780a_1k.jpg  

The beef shanks being browned w/ the "Fu Yee" & sautéed garlic: 

DSCN7772a_800.jpg  

#182 Jason Perlow

Jason Perlow
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 13,490 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

image.jpg

Shrimp Boil with Florida wild caught head on large
Jason Perlow
Co-Founder, The Society for Culinary Arts & Letters
offthebroiler.com - Food Blog | My Flickr photo stream

#183 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

Lunch today (which happens to be "Chap Goh Meh").  No oranges or rice balls for me - I had wontons instead. 

Shrimp & Pork wontons - with skinny wonton noodles, sliced Chinese BBQ pork, "Yu Choy Sum" blanched in oiled hot water, in a chicken-derived stock. Chopped scallions & cilantro. 

[Stags Leap 2008 Petite Syrah beforehand and while preparing the wontons & stuff. :-) ] 

DSCN7789a_1k.jpg  

The wonton filling was prepared from deveined and coarsely-chopped shrimp mixed w/ a little minced pork, finely chopped scallions, finely sliced "Muk Yee" (wood ear mushrooms) which had been simmered in the stock, ground white pepper; and dashes of sesame oil, Shaohsing wine, Pearl River light superior soy sauce. 

The soup/broth was prepared by briefly sautéeing a few slices of fresh ginger in veggie oil, quenching w/ chicken stock, diluting w/ water, then simmering with a small handful of whole dried achovies ("Ikan Bilis"), a few dried shiitake mushrooms ("Far Koo"), and some soaked wood ear mushrooms ("Muk Yee").  

DSCN7782a_800.jpg  

DSCN7785a_800.jpg  

• ojisan likes this

#184 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

Lunch on Monday:

• Fried soft tofu slices.

• Deep-fried Vietnamese vegetarian spring rolls (Chả giò chay). 

• Kokita sambal Bangkok, diluted w/ fresh lime juice. (dipping sauce) 

• Nước Mắm Pha Sẵn. (dipping sauce) 

Lunch on Tuesday: 

• Snow fungus & button mushroom soup w/ chicken stock; scallions & cilantro. 

• Stir-fried beef slices w/ baby bok choy. 

• White rice. (Thai Hom Mali) 

[Snow fungus - rehydrated, torn into small chunks. Button mushrooms, sliced.  Sliced fresh ginger sautéed in veg oil, chicken stock. Chopped scalions & cilantro at the end.] [Sliced ribeye, marinated w/ cooking wine, peanut oil, light soy sauce, ground white pepper, bit of cornstarch. Tossed w/ finely chopped garlic & grated ginger in hot oil in a very hot pan. Trimmed washed baby bok choy added, tossed till bok choy just short of wilting.] 

DSCN7798a_1k.jpg  

DSCN7801a_1k.jpg  

DSCN7804a_1k.jpg  

Edited by huiray, 26 February 2013 - 04:08 PM.

#185 rod rock

rod rock
  • participating member
  • 291 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:41 AM

Lunch from today! Sorry for the bad quality photo...

Attached Images

• IMG_0165.JPG

"The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live."

Franchise Takeaway

#186 scubadoo97

scubadoo97
  • participating member
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:51 AM

Huiray, you photos are killin me.  They're gorgeous. I would love to try all of them

Jason, shrimp look real good.  Hard to beat fresh shrimp.  Have a place not far away that does sell shrimp right off the boat in Tarpon Springs.  Head on and they're great.

#187 Steve Irby

Steve Irby
  • society donor
  • 193 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

Quick snack.  Sesame flat bread, hummus, tomato, avocado, oil cured olive and preserved lemon.

P1000505(1).JPG

#188 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:21 AM

rod rock - potatoes & pork? :-)

scubadoo97 - Aw shucks. Thanks.

Steve Irby - ...and capers? I think I'd need two of this at least. :-D

#189 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:48 AM

Lunch on Wednesday: "Hainanese Chicken Rice", in the Malaysian/Singaporean style.

Small chicken poached in salted water w/ lots (LOTS) of smashed [with cleaver] fresh ginger & scallions in the chicken cavity. Removed at an internal temp of ~160ºF. Poaching water (now "chicken broth") reserved, of course. I intentionally did not do an ice-water rinse/dip of the chicken this time. (More gelatin retained) Chopped after cooling, served w/ sliced deskinned cucumber, drizzled w/ light soy sauce (Pearl River Superior).

The rice was made by sautéeing generous chopped garlic & grated fresh ginger in chicken fat [freshly
rendered from additional stuff I get in a tub from the butcher], tossing the raw rice (Basmati) in the mix for about a minute or two, then quenching w/ the reserved "chicken broth" (the poaching liquid) and cooking in the usual manner.

The soup was Taiwan A-choy in the "chicken broth".

The sauce was chopped chicken livers sautéed w/ oil, finely sliced shallots, fish sauce (Red Boat), "aged" soy sauce (Kimlan), MRT ryori-shu, Honteri (sweet) mirin.

DSCN7812b_1k.jpg

DSCN7814a_1k.jpg

#190 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:24 AM

Lunch on Thursday:

"Kai See Kon Lo Mein". ("Shredded chicken dry mixed noodles") [in Cantonese] chez huiray on Thursday. :-)

The "chicken sauce": Yesterday's Hainanese Chicken leftovers were shredded (deboned) and reserved. "Far Koo" (shiitake mushrooms w/ flower-patterned caps) were de-stemmed, rehydrated and fairly thinly sliced. Smashed & chopped garlic was sautéed in peanut oil; oyster sauce (Lee Kum Kee), fish sauce (Red Boat), a splash of "aged" soy sauce (Kimlan) and a bit of "Gula Melaka" added, the mixture tossed/stirred a short while, the shredded chicken added in & the mix stirred; some "chicken broth" [from yesterday's poaching of the chicken] added and the mix simmered a short while to blend and reduce a bit.  Skinny wonton noodles (briefly cooked in the usual manner) were dressed with the sauce and plated w/ "Yu Choy Sum" that had just been blanched in oiled hot water. Chopped scallions on top.

Cauliflower florets simmered in more of the "chicken broth".  Chopped scallions on top.

DSCN7821a_1k.jpg

DSCN7827a_1k.jpg

#191 rod rock

rod rock
  • participating member
  • 291 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:03 AM

@Huiray yes :) And i forgot to take pic of the green salad.

Franchise Takeaway

#192 Paul Bacino

Paul Bacino
  • participating member
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:23 AM

Lenten Lunch!!

Today's Lunch-- " A fusion of Two Belly's" sandwich

I fused Salmon Belly and Pike Belly last week using Activa RM--made a
roll and froze it. I cut the roll in 1/4 " slices and fried one side
and made my lunch!!
Toke a whole wheat loaf and sliced into small sandwich slices and roasted it

Topped it with Pepper Aioli and a squeeze of kishu Mandarin orange!!

Yumm.. Raspberry oyster chasers!!

8519399214_0eb670f6a2_h.jpg

Its good to have Morels

#193 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:18 PM

Paul Bacino, looks interesting.  Nice lunch.  Raspberry oysters?

#194 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:52 PM

Lunch today: Variations on a Theme, finale.

Remainder of the "chicken sauce" from yesterday, with added "aged" soy sauce (Kimlan) and with the flavor profile changed by also adding in sesame oil, ground white pepper, ryori-shu, chopped Serrano chile peppers. Served on smooth-textured/slippery semi-wide flat rice noodles I used Bánh Phở - this one - as a stand-in for "Hor Fun" (河粉) which was what I actually wanted but did not have on hand.  Cilantro leaves & deep-fried shallots on top.

Remainder of the "chicken broth", with trimmed soaked baby Bok Choy cooked in it till just wilted.

DSCN7831a_1k.jpg

DSCN7833a_1k.jpg

#195 Paul Bacino

Paul Bacino
  • participating member
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:00 PM

H... Raspberrypoint.com - Raspberry Point Oysters -Prince Edward Island Oyster Company Goto Raspberrypoint.com Update website entry Report link Popularity: The Prince Edward Island Oyster CO grows a choice grade Malpeque Oyster, The Raspberry Point Keywords: prince edward island raspberry point malpeque oyster company salty fresh cultivated Tell a friend: PB....
Its good to have Morels

#196 scamhi

scamhi
  • participating member
  • 276 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:25 PM

Lenten Lunch!!

Today's Lunch-- " A fusion of Two Belly's" sandwich

I fused Salmon Belly and Pike Belly last week using Activa RM--made a
roll and froze it. I cut the roll in 1/4 " slices and fried one side
and made my lunch!!
Toke a whole wheat loaf and sliced into small sandwich slices and roasted it

Topped it with Pepper Aioli and a squeeze of kishu Mandarin orange!!

Yumm.. Raspberry oyster chasers!!

attachicon.gif8519399214_0eb670f6a2_h.jpg

great looking salmon Paul

#197 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 4,700 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:10 AM

deep-fried shallots

do you buy them as such or DF them yourself?   Ive been exploring the 'crispy' sections of my chinese groceries.

#198 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:25 AM

deep-fried shallots

do you buy them as such or DF them yourself?   Ive been exploring the 'crispy' sections of my chinese groceries.

I buy them.  It's too much bother to do it myself, especially in small batches.  I don't mind that they are not super-freshly-prepared "just a few minutes ago".  I think the stuff you can get in both the Chinese and Indian groceries are fairly decent and cheap - in my experience - so long as you do inspect the packages for apparent crispiness/freshness and relatively non-shattered stuff ("banged around to a powder") at the bottoms of the packages.

#199 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 4,700 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:27 AM

excellent tips!  and thanks  never though Indian, but will be taking a look today

:biggrin:

#200 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:56 AM

@ Paul Bacino - ah, OK, thanks.  I thought you were having some sort of oyster prep with raspberries when you said "Raspberry oyster chasers". :-)

#201 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:05 AM

Sunday lunch:

• Chinese okra (Luffa acutangula; Google images), snow fungus (Tremella fuciformis), fresh "Far Koo" (flower-patterned thick-cap shiitake mushroom; fresh, not dried), and Southern-Chinese type fish cake [store-bought] soup.

• Chicken thigh meat stir-fried w/ garlic, shallots, Thai basil, Thai eggplants§, hot long green (ripening) chillies.

• Chinese roast pork [store-bought], re-warmed & skin re-crisped in the oven.

• White rice (Basmati).

Marinated w/ fish sauce (Red Boat), peanut oil, bit of corn starch. (Not sure now, 12 hrs later, if I added anything else)

§ Not terribly fresh - the seeds are already blackening on being cut open.

DSCN7861a_1k.jpg

DSCN7863a_1k.jpg

DSCN7857b_1k.jpg

Most of the ingredients after prep:

DSCN7851a_800.jpg

DSCN7854b_800.jpg

DSCN7855a_800.jpg

#202 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:05 PM

Lunch today, Tuesday:

• Pork, tofu rolls (see pic) & bamboo shoots braised w/ sautéed smashed garlic & mutenka shiro miso (Maruchan).

• Stir-fried/sautéed chopped Chinese long beans ("Yard Long Beans"; Vigna unguiculata subsp. sesquipedalis) w/ garlic.

• Semi-wide flat egg noodles (a Vietnamese brand).

DSCN7879b_1k.jpg

DSCN7888a_1k.jpg

Those "tofu rolls":

DSCN7870a_800.jpg

#203 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:24 PM

Lunch today, Wednesday:

• Rice congee ("jook"; 粥; Yale: juk1) with short-cut pork spare ribs sautéed with lots of julienned fresh ginger (a large fully heaped handful's worth plus a bit more!) (the ginger is sautéed first till just beginning to brown, then the ribs added).  Lightly salted, tossed around; water added and the mix simmered for about 30-40 minutes.  Long-grain rice (I used Basmati) (ratio water:raw rice ~ 10:1) added, stirred in, simmering resumed for about 1/2 hour or so more till desired consistency was reached w/ occasional stirring. Eaten w/ chopped scallions & cilantro, plus "Tung Choy" (Tianjin preserved vegetable) and deep-fried shallots.

• A form of mustard common in Chinese cuisine, often called "pull mustard" in English, Chinese name usually "雪裡紅" (Yale: syut3 leui5 hung4); a form of Brassica juncea.  (See here also and the Google Translation) There are frilly-leaved varieties and non-frilly-leaved varieties which appear to go by the same name of "雪裡紅"; the form I usually see and buy and use is a non-frilly form, see pic below.  Today I simply stir-fried it with sliced garlic, tossing in a mixture of oyster sauce (Lee Kum Kee), fish sauce (Red Boat), Shaohsing wine (Wei Chuan) and a dash of sesame oil (Dragonfly) towards the end.

DSCN7900b_1k.jpg

DSCN7895a_800.jpg

DSCN7898a_800.jpg

#204 rod rock

rod rock
  • participating member
  • 291 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:38 AM

Today's lunch. Baked potato with cheese, pork and little bit of origano spice. Yes, i love potatos :).

IMG_0172.JPG

Edited by rod rock, 07 March 2013 - 06:39 AM.

Franchise Takeaway

#205 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:24 PM

Fresh wood ear mushrooms, fresh white beech mushrooms, fresh flower-cap shiitake mushrooms (quartered), cauliflower florets, trimmed green onions - sautéed in Maussane-les-Alpilles olive oil w/ pink Himalayan salt.

Another bowl of the "jook" from yesterday, with chopped green onions & cilantro only. (no pic)

DSCN7909a_1k.jpg

#206 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

Lunch today (Friday):

Schnecken Bratwurst - from my local German butcher.  Pan-fried in the pan residues from frying onions, plus extra oil.  Pan residues deglazed w/ Rainwater Madeira (Blandys) diluted w/ a little water & w/ a few nuggets of rock sugar added into the simmering liquid; the resulting liquid used as a sauce for the schnecken & potatoes.

• Above-mentioned pan-fried sliced onions.

• Western celery pan-fried in the residues after deglazing w/ a little more oil.

• Boiled fingerling potatoes, drained & tossed w/ butter.

• Oven-roasted carrots & parsnips - tossed w/ olive oil, salt, thyme, sage; before going into the oven.

Claus' German Sausage & Meats.  Website.

DSCN7911a_1k.jpg

DSCN7913a_1k.jpg

Edited by huiray, 08 March 2013 - 03:48 PM.

#207 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:56 AM

Lunch on Saturday:

Mettwurst with sauerkraut§.  Eaten w/ Cherub tomatoes & scallions.

Freshly made, from my local German butcher. (Claus')

§ Kühne Barrel Sauerkraut, jarred. Usually I get it in bulk from Claus' but on Friday they only had the jarred on hand.

Metts browned in olive oil (Unio Arbequina EV), the kraut added (barely drained, so lots of retained liquid), tossed a bit, adequate water and a few bay leaves and a scattering of whole white peppercorns added followed by a dose of brewed rice vinegar (Marukan) plus some sea salt, and the mix simmered till "done".  [No, no beer or caraway seeds (not keen on either). Yes, a bit cross-cultural. :-) ]

Attached Images

• DSCN7936b_1k.jpg

#208 Paul Bacino

Paul Bacino
  • participating member
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:09 AM

For Brunch!!

Oat Bagel-- 2hrs@145 Egg--Blk Truffle  with   Pink Himalayan Salt/Tellicherry Pepper finish

8545100620_5f74b9e413_h.jpg

Its good to have Morels

#209 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 4,700 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:23 AM

huiray

is this the Fish Cake you mentioned in the Soup above?

Fish Cake?.jpg

it seems to have add- ins and previously fried?  

love to see the wrapper as very little english is spoken in my largish Chinese market.

picked up a few  'green things' today from that market based on your pics of common Chinese greens.

thanks.   interersted in exploring the tofu/fish cakes in the future.

#210 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:40 PM

huiray

is this the Fish Cake you mentioned in the Soup above?

attachicon.gifFish Cake?.jpg

it seems to have add- ins and previously fried?  

love to see the wrapper as very little english is spoken in my largish Chinese market.

picked up a few  'green things' today from that market based on your pics of common Chinese greens.

thanks.   interersted in exploring the tofu/fish cakes in the future.

rotuts,

Yes, that's the fish cake.  No wrapper, sorry, it would have been repackaged from bulk anyway.  Yes, those are chopped scallions/green onions and carrot bits you see in there and yes, it is pre-fried.  Usually I get them frozen, I haven't picked up freshly made ones in a very long time (I don't live in the right place for that, too).  The non-restaurant commercial ones come in several sizes and shapes - commonly one also sees flattish rectangular pieces rather than the ovoids you see in my picture.  Chinese preparations and Japanese preparations of these fish cakes also vary, in some cases very considerably. [cf Japanese Kamaboko] The "Southern Chinese"/HK/"Overseas Chinese" varieties often have these scallion and carrot bits in them but not always. Sometimes there are also peas in them.  You can use them in soups, with soupy noodles, even in fried rice or stir fries, rewarmed/refried (briefly) by themselves w/ a dipping sauce, say...usually sliced up in each case.