Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2012–2014)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
549 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,104 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

This is a continuation of the original Lunch! topic, started in 2003, which grew too large for our servers to load. Carry on!

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#2 radtek

radtek
  • participating member
  • 291 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:30 PM

Hehe. I'll be the first!

Turkey and dumplings. Dumplings are croutons of day old Italian bread. Corn, carrots, Brussel-sprouts and shredded turkey wing garnished with blanched fresh green beans. Washed down with home-brewed English style bitter made with Columbus and Cascade hops.

Posted Image

#3 robirdstx

robirdstx
  • participating member
  • 886 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:13 PM

Posted Image

The unseasonably warm weather made me crave a cool lunch today - tuna and egg salad.

#4 Paul Bacino

Paul Bacino
  • participating member
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:49 PM

My first attempt:

Kimchee Soup with Tuna and Shrimp

8244527880_db3a4582c9_h.jpg
Its good to have Morels

#5 ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy
  • society donor
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

Wrapped up chicken, bulgar, garlic confit and smokey chili sauce.

Posted Image
Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...
Oakland, CA
My Place
My eGullet Foodblog
eG Ethics Signatory

#6 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,267 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:02 PM

Such a Great Tip! I do bulgar all the time, but never though of putting it in a wrap! good by rice!

thanks!

#7 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

Today, I had:
• Salmon sort-of pan-fried/semi-poached with sliced mushrooms sautéed w/ a grainy mustard prepared by a local concern (and which has jalapenos in it).
• The salmon skin (stripped off the piece of fish) separately pan-fried to nice browned crispy "chips".
• Basmati rice briefly tossed w/ chopped garlic + finely sliced shallots being sautéed w/ peanut oil in my usual rice pot to which cardamom pods and bay leaves were added before the rice was dumped in, quenched w/ water plus a little salt and cooked as usual.
• "Tong Ho" (Edible chrysanthemum leaves; broad-leaf variety) in chicken stock soup.

DSCN7303b_1k.jpg

DSCN7300a_1k.jpg

#8 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

Lunch a few days ago:
Sort-of "Penang Har Mee". Prawn stock w/ the shells and heads (w/ lots of head cream) from about 1 1/2 lbs of head-on shrimp sautéed w/ sambal terasi, shrimp paste w/ soy bean oil. The veggies were "Tong Ho" (edible chrysanthemum) and "Nga Choy" (mung bean sprouts), toppings were scallions, fried shallots, cilantro, halved hard boiled eggs, deveined shrimp sautéed in the pan (and retrieved before the shells etc went in for the stock). The noodle was a "Yee meen" analog.

DSCN7286a_1k.jpg

#9 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

Roast Chinese duck, pork & Chinese spinach wontons, chicken & shrimp wontons, and pre-fried soy puffs wonton soupy skinny noodles. With wilted watercress & chopped scallions.

DSCN7313a_1k.jpg

#10 ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy
  • society donor
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

Still on the health kick. Rock shrimp, silken tofu caesar dressing, bulgar and lettuce.

Posted Image
Oakland, CA
My Place
My eGullet Foodblog
eG Ethics Signatory

#11 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,267 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

Im on this thanks for these ideas!

#12 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,267 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:15 AM

Id appreciate a ref. back to that

silken tofu caesar dressing

many thanks for reminding me of it!

#13 hongda

hongda
  • participating member
  • 111 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:26 AM

Scotty Boy's Caesar

http://forums.egulle...2/page__st__750

Post 780. I soaked the crushed garlic with the lemon juice to take the edge off first.

#14 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:38 PM

Fish balls & spinach in chicken soup (w/garlic), with fine Japanese wheat noodles.

DSCN7316a_1k.jpg

Edited by huiray, 17 December 2012 - 02:38 PM.

#15 heidih

heidih
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 10,735 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

huiray - good reminder that I need to keep fish balls in the freezer. I was just thinking about a soup for tomorrow and wanted some protein. Was going to pick up tofu but fish balls are more textural and interesting to me.

#16 ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy
  • society donor
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

Scotty Boy's Caesar

http://forums.egulle...2/page__st__750

Post 780. I soaked the crushed garlic with the lemon juice to take the edge off first.

Thanks for that!

I'm going to measure out the stuff for my chili sauce and raita when I make it next. Exercise and these things in my diet has me down 15 pounds in 3 weeks.
Oakland, CA
My Place
My eGullet Foodblog
eG Ethics Signatory

#17 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:35 PM

huiray - good reminder that I need to keep fish balls in the freezer. I was just thinking about a soup for tomorrow and wanted some protein. Was going to pick up tofu but fish balls are more textural and interesting to me.

Yes, fish balls are quite useful. :-) Have you tried the cuttlefish or cuttlefish-fish mixture balls too?

#18 heidih

heidih
  • 10,735 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:14 PM

Yes, fish balls are quite useful. :-) Have you tried the cuttlefish or cuttlefish-fish mixture balls too?

Yes I like them in soups and love them fried with a spicy dipping sauce- one of my comfort foods

#19 catdaddy

catdaddy
  • participating member
  • 221 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:54 PM

Chuck-eye steaks rubbed with Kirklands finest and grilled very hot to MR. Stir fried bok choy, carrot, onion, zucchini, ginger, and garlic. Sauced with oyster sauce, golden mountain sauce, fish sauce, dark soy sauce, and black bean paste with chiles. Brown Texmati rice. And copious amounts of water.

#20 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:50 PM

• Fried rice: with chopped leftover Chinese roast duck, fresh Chinese celery**, sliced leftover mushrooms & bamboo shoots, smashed & chopped garlic.
• Leftover lotus root soup.

** http://chinesefood.a...chineseing5.htm ; http://www.evergreen...celchincel.html ; etc.

DSCN7320b_1k.jpg

#21 lochaven

lochaven
  • participating member
  • 70 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:57 PM

Congrats ScottyBoy on your weight loss, that is really awesome.
And I want a table for two and a chicken for eight o'clock.

#22 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

Late lunch: Stir-fried deboned sliced chicken thigh meat (marinated w/ Shaohsing wine, sesame oil, white pepper, Red Boat fish sauce) with chopped white onions & trimmed snow peas. Served over steamed white rice.

DSCN7327b_1k.jpg

#23 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:47 PM

It looks nice, i like onion and peas combination with the rest. :)

Thanks. I toss in the snow peas and the onions at the very last and bang them around for only a minute or two before shutting off the fire. Crunch crunch.

#24 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

Sushi today.

No pics, I was sitting at the sushi bar. Asked for omakase nigirizushi from Iwamoto-san. ("Feed me") Got nice stuff - usual suspects mostly but good stuff. Maguro, hamachi, sake, unagi, uni, ikura, ika, ama-ebi, shiro-maguro (nicely dressed, w/ some bonito shavings as well), hotate, etc. Asked for another hamachi and unagi; plus a tamago for last.

Oh, plus agedashidofu to start.

Nicely "thick" green tea.

Yum.

#25 basquecook

basquecook
  • participating member
  • 478 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:01 PM

Had lunch out today.. Portuguese Food.. A huge plate of pork and clams and a larger glass of vinho.

Posted Image

Served with rice and fries:

Posted Image

And a very large glass of wine and awesome bread: One glass and I am ready for a nap.. Especially when the one glass is a pint glass. I had two espressos but, the dessert brandy did not help. I am pretty sure this is why cigarettes were invented.

Posted Image

#26 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,267 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

basquecook

you are very lucky!

#27 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

Short ribs braised in red wine, with tomato and onion-filled empanada, and spicy chicken Thai noodles, and a bottle of ginger ale. For $13.

#28 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

• Pork & cabbage w/ XO sauce "shui kow" in wonton stock w/ sliced soft tofu, chopped scallions & cilantro.
• "Kon lo" wonton noodles - tossed w/ a sauce formed w/ chopped de-skinned pork belly ("sam chang yook") sautéed w/ chopped garlic in peanut oil; quenched w/ a mixture of light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, oyster sauce, Red Boat fish sauce, sesame oil, ground white pepper, MRT Ryori-shu mirin.
• Blanched "yow choi sum".
• Pickled chopped long hot green chillies.

DSCN7336a_1k.jpg

DSCN7338a_1k.jpg

#29 naguere

naguere
  • participating member
  • 420 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:13 AM

huiray How elegant. Here, brown rice, white beans some tinned pork (Polish)with a good stroganoff sauce topped with a sliced scallion and some greens that were nuked to preserve all vitamins. (it did not look as pretty as your display I must profess) .
Who cares how time progresses..

Today I am drinking ale.

(Edgar Allen Poe)

#30 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:43 PM

• Leftover Hainanese chicken (at RT, w/ gelatin) and reheated chicken rice (w/ a half-ladle of chicken broth) from last night (http://egullet.org/p1902527), w/ sliced sweet red mini-pepper, cilantro & scallions.
• Chopped chicken liver & shallot sauce**.
• Chicken broth, w/ sliced asparagus & chunked de-seeded de-skinned cucumber.
Plus rest of last night's chili sauce. (not shown)

** Finely sliced shallots, small amount (1 clove) of garlic, sliced; gently sautéed in veggie oil till just beginning to brown; chopped chicken livers added and the mixture tossed. To this was added: Worcestershire sauce (Lea & Perrin), dash of good light soy sauce, some good fish sauce (nước mắm), a bit of sea salt, and a few small chunks of rock sugar. Stir, simmer; water added, cover & reduce on a slow simmer.

DSCN7350a_1k.jpg