Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Your Daily Sweets: What are you making and baking? (2012–2014)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
571 replies to this topic

#91 gap

gap
  • participating member
  • 502 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:01 PM

Kerry - let us know what you think of it . . . I've printed out the recipe as something I think I'd like to try (and eat)

Edited by gap, 24 February 2013 - 09:01 PM.

#92 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,931 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:03 PM

Kerry - let us know what you think of it . . . I've printed out the recipe as something I think I'd like to try (and eat)

Exactly why I printed it out - it looked very interesting.  I'll let you know.

#93 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,769 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:10 AM

It does sound interesting. I might have to give it a try. I'll probably do a little minor tweaking to the fruit content. I don't mind a few raisins in things but I prefer the balance to be way more towards something else.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#94 cmflick

cmflick
  • participating member
  • 202 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:45 AM

attachicon.gifIMG_0494.jpg

Texas Cowboy Cake from the Just a Pinch website.  

Haven't tasted it yet - gave my dad a small loaf and will take another to work tomorrow.  Interesting technique - boil the sugar, water, coffee, butter, dates and raisins together then add to the dry.  No eggs.

Sounds kind of like a variation on panforte.

#95 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:24 AM

I've been so busy lately that I've been completely remiss in posting the yummlies I've been making.  So here's a whole bunch, all at once.

Moist peanut-butter cake with peanut-butter cream filling and milk chocolate swizzle

Gigantic (20" across) carrot cake for a friend's baby shower.

Cheesecake with spiced vanilla peach topping.

Coconut chiffon cake, filled with cherry, decorated with coconut IMBC

Key Lime Pie (yes, I know, but the customer is always right, even when he's wrong....)

My grumpy friend Tuny's birthday cake.

Detail of the grumpy birthday gnome.

And finally, since I did so much ICBM I had beaucoup egg yolks left.  So I made Pasteis Encocãos, which are like Pasteis do Belém but with lots of shredded coconut in them.  That's vanilla helado de paila with the tart, topped with Reine Claude and vanilla jam.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.
My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

#96 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,931 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:29 AM

Exactly why I printed it out - it looked very interesting.  I'll let you know.

So here we go - nurses are loving it.  I find it a bit 'lean' but I think with a nice slathering of sweet butter it would be just perfect.  Now we do have to allow for the fact that I cut back the sugar from 3 cups to 2 (still came out sweet) and used cold infused coffee concentrate in place of the cup of strong coffee.  It makes big loaves and if you want to add the glucose/booze slather on top after the first hour - make sure you have it in a big enough pan that it  isn't poking over the top.  

Pana - love the grumpy gnome!

#97 pquinene

pquinene
  • society donor
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:34 AM

I made plain almond macarons with basic meringue yesterday. This morning, I'm working on the final trial (hopefully) of creating a "perfect" macaron using a very stable basic meringue...in an electric oven with upper and lower heating elements. These are unfilled macaron discs bent in half:

IMG_9215-full.jpg

Edited by pquinene, 28 February 2013 - 08:36 AM.

#98 basquecook

basquecook
  • participating member
  • 570 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

beautiful.  those do look pretty perfect.  nice feet on those suckers. 

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

#99 pquinene

pquinene
  • society donor
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:38 PM

One more trial run for my almond macaron batter, but I did fill some last night.

IMG_9223.jpg
IMG_9223-2.jpg

Edited by pquinene, 01 March 2013 - 12:39 PM.

#100 minas6907

minas6907
  • participating member
  • 646 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:03 PM

Very very nice! Where did you get that recipe? Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

#101 pquinene

pquinene
  • society donor
  • 97 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:27 AM

Very very nice! Where did you get that recipe? Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Hafa Adai Minas6907,

That's hello in Chamorro, the native language of Guam.....though I do live in North Carolina.

I've actually been working on this recipe for a month! I am doing trial #18 today; the picture above is very close, but I want to test one more variable. It's a basic meringue recipe with the macs baked in an electric oven (upper and lower heating element). I will post a link to the recipe here. Because it's very detailed it's too long to copy/paste to the forum (details on meringue, macaronage, oven heat). I will post on my website as well, paulaq.com>macaron book.

Edited by pquinene, 02 March 2013 - 05:28 AM.

#102 merstar

merstar
  • participating member
  • 948 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:34 PM

I made these at around 2 AM. Delicious!

http://brownieboxblo...e-chip-cookies/

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

#103 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:15 PM

Beth – your cakes are lovely and the coconut chiffon sounds especially delicious.

pquinene – your macarons are gorgeous!

merstar – they look wonderful and I LOVE that you made them at 2am!

I tried the Morning Buns from “Cook’s Country” on TV.  The pastry is a version of a quick, “easy”, kinda/sorta croissant dough.  All rolled and ready for a rest in the fridge:

At this point I was very excited and thought that they looked beautiful.  Out of the oven and inside:

They were fairly flakey and tasted wonderful, but didn’t rise nearly as much as they were supposed to.  The method of incorporating the butter into the flour/salt/yeast mixture involved placing it all into a large ziplock bag and alternately rolling and shaking it to make flour-coated long butter flakes.  My yeast was fresh, so I’m thinking that here was where I must have messed up.  Lightly scented with cinnamon and orange and sticky with the warm sugar, they tasted great.  Just could have risen a bit and been a little lighter and flakier.
Here is the recipe.  If anyone has the time to go and look at it and offer any advice, I’d very much appreciate it.

#104 merstar

merstar
  • participating member
  • 948 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:51 PM

Kim,

Those morning buns look fantastic! I could eat them right off the screen!

Meryl aka merstar

#105 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:00 AM

Kim - the method of dusting/rolling the flour and yeast over the butter is what's retarding your rise.  When working even with very fresh yeasts, if they get encapsulated by fats (butter in this case) they suffocate and die off, leaving you a nice yeasty flavour but doing nothing as far as leavening goes.  I had this exact problem when I started to work with yeasted puff pastry, and until I figured it out I'd get the same result you're seeing - tender and flaky and with the yummy yeasty flavour, but not very tall.

Looking at that recipe, I'd hydrate the yeast in the orange juice or make a paste with it and the water, but otherwise proceed as written.  That will give the beasties a bit of a head start, and should prevent them from becoming as trapped in the butter.  That, in turn, should result in taller, flakier buns.

EDIT - alternately, you could approach that recipe in a very different way.  Since you're mixing in the liquids for the dough right at the end of the process, you could try this:  rather than mucking about with the ziplock and the rolling pin, cut about 3/4 of the butter into the flour/sugar/salt mixture as though you're making shortcrust.  Once it's cut, add the liquids (with the yeast hydrated in the OJ), then roll out as suggested and coat the sheet with the remaining 1/4 of the butter (knead it under cold water to make it flexible enough while keeping it cool - this is a croissant trick).  Then roll up and proceed as written.  You'll still get flaky pastry that way (and if you're crazy like me, you'll fold the dough a couple of times before you roll it up and chill it, to increase the interleaving), and it should definitely resolve the rise issue since you'll be boosting the yeast with butter puffage.

Edited by Panaderia Canadiense, 03 March 2013 - 05:06 AM.

#106 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:09 AM

Meryl - thank you, ma'am!

Beth - thanks for the advice - I think I'll try your first suggestion.  The OJ and the water are both VERY cold.  Will it be ok to put the yeast into them at that temperature?

#107 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:40 AM

Kim - it shouldn't be a problem.  If it were, I'd expect the yeast to die in the chilling process, but it just goes into hibernation.  That's why these rolls are proofed at 200F.

#108 pquinene

pquinene
  • society donor
  • 97 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:12 AM

Here is the link to my recipe:
PaulaQ's French Macarons...w/video demonstration

Well, for some reason I can't put a link on here.

Recipe is on my site, www.paulaq.com > macaron book....scroll down for the link.

Edited by pquinene, 05 March 2013 - 05:13 AM.

#109 cmflick

cmflick
  • participating member
  • 202 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:40 AM

Here is the link to my recipe:
PaulaQ's French Macarons...w/video demonstration

Well, for some reason I can't put a link on here.

Recipe is on my site, www.paulaq.com > macaron book....scroll down for the link.

Nice job on the video. The amount of detail is excellent. Will your book describe what didn't work in your trials? Sometimes that's just as important as what does work, i.e., what to avoid doing!

#110 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:36 PM

Yet another coconut chiffon cake (this one family!  I swear....)  Above was my grumpy friend Tuny's grumpy cake.  This is his grandfather, who is a rabid fan of the Barcelona football team.  I'm not sure that it's all that visible in the photo, but his head is photoshopped onto the yellow-jerseyed player's body.

CarlosAlberto-Cake_zps63ff25d2.jpg

Edited because the photo didn't want to show up for some reason....

Edited by Panaderia Canadiense, 09 March 2013 - 03:45 PM.

#111 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,769 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:15 PM

Decided to try the yeasted chocolate cake from the folks at Ideas in Food. Mixed the batter, left it alone for 4 hrs, folded it, left it alone for another 18 hrs...

yeast3_zpse315a106.jpg

...panned it, left it alone for another 1/2 hr and baked...

yeast2_zpsa1f8b753.jpg

...let it cool and cut a small slice...

yeast1_zps405cde50.jpg

...and didn't like it. I really hate saying that. Ideas in Food is one of my all-time favorite food blogs. I've learned a lot, been inspired a lot and have very rarely been less than thrilled with the results of their recipes. This was one of those rare times. The cake is surprisingly light, moist, has a nice crumb and is not overly sweet. I'm just really not enjoying the combo of chocolate and a distinct yeasty sourdough taste at all.  I'm entirely sure it's a me thing. I'm guessing there will be plenty of people who will love it and think it crazy that I don't. It was a fun project anyway.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#112 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,931 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:24 PM

Decided to try the yeasted chocolate cake from the folks at Ideas in Food. Mixed the batter, left it alone for 4 hrs, folded it, left it alone for another 18 hrs...

yeast3_zpse315a106.jpg

...panned it, left it alone for another 1/2 hr and baked...

yeast2_zpsa1f8b753.jpg

...let it cool and cut a small slice...

yeast1_zps405cde50.jpg

...and didn't like it. I really hate saying that. Ideas in Food is one of my all-time favorite food blogs. I've learned a lot, been inspired a lot and have very rarely been less than thrilled with the results of their recipes. This was one of those rare times. The cake is surprisingly light, moist, has a nice crumb and is not overly sweet. I'm just really not enjoying the combo of chocolate and a distinct yeasty sourdough taste at all.  I'm entirely sure it's a me thing. I'm guessing there will be plenty of people who will love it and think it crazy that I don't. It was a fun project anyway.

Perhaps the yeasted vanilla cake might be a better way to go.  

#113 benthescientist

benthescientist
  • participating member
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:33 AM

It's strawberry season here in Aus. I've gotten into the habit of buying punnets of overripe berries and extracting their juice low and slow over simmering water. The result is a clear, intense strawberry juice that can be reduced to a syrup. I also wanted to try my hand at a desert where a chocolate shell was cracked to reveal something on the inside.

This was the result: chocolate mud cake, strawberry syrup and cream (a failed vanilla panna cotta!). Fresh home grown strawberries, mint and strawberry popping candy on the side. I'd keep the chocolate cake for a dish with raspberry and focus on the strawberries and panna cotta next time.

20130309-StrawberryChocolate-Sm-1.jpg

#114 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,769 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:33 AM

Perhaps the yeasted vanilla cake might be a better way to go.  

Yeah, I considered that possibility and also considered greatly reducing the proofing time on the chocolate version. It does a full proof in the initial 4 hours, I'm pretty sure the other 18 is mainly for flavor development. I just wasn't a fan of the flavor that developed. This one's going to the ravens, I'll have to decide if I want to risk wasting another one or two in the name of experimenting. On a brighter note, I did the peanut butter custard from their book yesterday. The custard is good... so the ravens will be getting their cake plain. :biggrin:

Edited by Tri2Cook, 11 March 2013 - 03:37 AM.

#115 Carole Grogloth Hawaii

Carole Grogloth Hawaii
  • participating member
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

8519344101_1e275353ef.jpg
No oil pumpkin cake  - Carole Grogloth, Molokai Hawaii by Carole Grogloth Hawaii, on Flickr

The Very Hungry Caterpillar cupcakes look really cute, what  creative idea!  I made this a no-oil pumpkin cake which everyone enjoyed.

Carole Grogloth Molokai Hawaii

Carole Grogloth Molokai Hawaii

#116 rajoress

rajoress
  • participating member
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:43 AM

Coconut macaroons dipped in chocolate - for Passover. Thanks for looking!

Ruth

coconut macaroons.jpg

#117 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

Coconut macaroons dipped in chocolate - for Passover. Thanks for looking!

Those look incredible!  My mouth is watering.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#118 merstar

merstar
  • participating member
  • 948 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

I made this again - delicious. (I used Ghirardelli for the chopped chocolate):

Chocolate Swirl Sour Cream Coffee Cake:

http://www.godiva.co...default,pg.html

#119 Baselerd

Baselerd
  • participating member
  • 463 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:41 PM

I recently made a modern (only in plating) tiramisu recipe (link to recipe)- very delicious and not too involved. Includes soaked sponge cake, espresso ice cream, espresso creme anglaise, mascarpone mousse, and Kahlua gelee. 

tumblr_mlbzjvEm2w1rvhqcjo1_500.jpg

#120 DianaM

DianaM
  • participating member
  • 272 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:02 PM

I recently made a modern (only in plating) tiramisu recipe (link to recipe)- very delicious and not too involved. Includes soaked sponge cake, espresso ice cream, espresso creme anglaise, mascarpone mousse, and Kahlua gelee. 

Looks delicious, and definitely sounds doable. 

I did have a good chuckle when I checked out the recipe: the components are measured using 3 different measuring systems, LOL.