Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Your Daily Sweets: What are you making and baking? (2012–2014)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
571 replies to this topic

#31 RWood

RWood
  • participating member
  • 276 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:28 AM

Macarons for a holiday party at work. The customer wanted almond and raspberry.

Attached Images

• macs.jpg

#32 minas6907

minas6907
  • participating member
  • 641 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:43 PM

Yeah those look sort of ok. Hahaha, just kidding, those are stunning! Very consistent and nicely presented!

#33 RWood

RWood
  • participating member
  • 276 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:02 AM

Yeah those look sort of ok. Hahaha, just kidding, those are stunning! Very consistent and nicely presented!

Thanks! But, the macaron gods don't like me at home this weekend. I've been trying to make Xmas gifts, and they are so not cooperating. At work, no problem, could be the oven is better. Gonna give it one more shot today, if no go, no macs :(.

#34 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:03 AM

Creola – what a lovely cake. I am a fool for lemon – I would love that!

Kerry – the malt loaf is beautiful. Mr. Kim loves malt and would love either of them, I think.

Elizabeth – I love the idea of saying ‘Happy Birthday’ in all those languages. My piping skills are not so great, so mine wouldn’t EVER resemble yours!

Darienne – thank you, my dear! What an utterly sweet thing for you to say.

From yesterday - Six feet of sugar cookies:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
I was rushed this year (odd how the year I ‘retire’ chaos begins to reign!), so they just got generally ‘sprinkled’, but they are crisp and sweet and pretty and that is enough!

#35 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:02 AM

Lovely Kim. Do you have little elves to help sprinkle all that sugar so nicely?
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#36 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:18 AM

Kim - I'm probably never doing another one like that! The only reason I did was that the birthday girl had actually visited all of the places whose languages I used.
Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.
My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

#37 RWood

RWood
  • participating member
  • 276 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:16 PM

I finally kicked these things in the butt, and ran off my macaron hex :wacko: . I wasted so much product, I was not a happy camper.

From top, clockwise:
Pecan with Bourbon Buttercream
Raspberry
Peanut Butter
Chocolate
Hazelnut with Praline Buttercream
Salted Caramel (I made Pierre Herme's Salted Butter Caramel for this filling, and while it tastes great, it is not stable at room temp for very long. I'm gonna re-think this one)
Espresso
Coconut in the middle

Attached Images

• macs2.JPG

#38 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:25 PM

I finally kicked these things in the butt, and ran off my macaron hex :wacko: . I wasted so much product, I was not a happy camper.

From top, clockwise:
Raspberry
Peanut Butter
Chocolate
Salted Caramel (I made Pierre Herme's Salted Butter Caramel for this filling, and while it tastes great, it is not stable at room temp for very long. I'm gonna re-think this one)
Espresso
Coconut in the middle

those are gorgeous

#39 curls

curls
  • participating member
  • 389 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

From top, clockwise:
Raspberry
Peanut Butter
Chocolate
Espresso
Coconut in the middle

Beautiful! So, do you know what was the cause of all the difficulties?

#40 RWood

RWood
  • participating member
  • 276 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:07 PM

From top, clockwise:
Raspberry
Peanut Butter
Chocolate
Espresso
Coconut in the middle

From top, clockwise:
Raspberry
Peanut Butter
Chocolate
Espresso
Coconut in the middle

Thanks! Yes, I have found that if the meringue is not very stiff, they just flop. It also eliminates (for me) the need to let them rest. All these when straight in the oven. The only time they rested was while I was piping. Having a stable meringue makes a world of difference. I wrote down every little step so that if it's a while till I make them again, I won't go through all that.

#41 DianaM

DianaM
  • participating member
  • 272 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:17 AM

From top, clockwise:
Raspberry
Peanut Butter
Chocolate
Espresso
Coconut in the middle

What a gorgeous assortment! I would be very excited indeed to receive a present like that! :wub:

#42 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:16 AM

Shark Attack! My friend Henry is a SCUBA diver, and his lovely wife and son specifically requested this. I have to say, it's the first time I've ever decorated a cake where blood and gore were not only requested, but kind of necessary.... :raz: Building the shark head with its bit of diver out of gumpaste was probably the most fun I've had all month. The cake underneath that IMBC is coconut chiffon, with a cherry filling.

HenryCake1.jpg
HenryCake2.jpg
HenryCake3.jpg
HenryCake4.jpg
Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.
My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

#43 Chocolot

Chocolot
  • participating member
  • 436 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:16 PM

Finally had some time to do a little baking. Macarons are not my specialty, but I try.
White ones are lemon, chocolate ones have a peppermint filling. Actually, I used leftover ganache on both flavors:-)
IMG_1599.jpg

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

#44 Baselerd

Baselerd
  • participating member
  • 460 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

From the Uchi Cookbook: Mascarpone Cream Spheres, Mint-Pea Sorbet, Pea Shortbread Crumble, Mint Crisps, Cured Strawberry:
Posted Image

#45 jsmeeker

jsmeeker
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

Will make a Chocoflan (AKA "Impossible Cake") later tonight. Will be dessert for Christmas dinner. Using Rick Bayless' recipe for it.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"
jmeeker@eGullet.org

#46 DianaM

DianaM
  • participating member
  • 272 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:01 PM

Finally had some time to do a little baking. Macarons are not my specialty, but I try.
White ones are lemon, chocolate ones have a peppermint filling. Actually, I used leftover ganache on both flavors:-)
IMG_1599.jpg

They sure look lovely, very nice feet on those macs! Ruth, did you use an Italian meringue or French?

#47 Chocolot

Chocolot
  • participating member
  • 436 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:17 PM

IMG_1599.jpg

They sure look lovely, very nice feet on those macs! Ruth, did you use an Italian meringue or French?

French. I have better luck with it than Italian.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

#48 jsmeeker

jsmeeker
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:24 PM

Will make a Chocoflan (AKA "Impossible Cake") later tonight. Will be dessert for Christmas dinner. Using Rick Bayless' recipe for it.

It's out of the oven. It's cooling now. I'll photograph tomorrow when I invert it onto a platter, removing it from the pan. That's when the "magic" reveals itself.

I've done this before and it WORKED! But to be honest, I can't recall if I made it a day in advance or the same day. I'll have to park it in the fridge until it's close to time to serve it because of the custard/flan part. I'm slightly worried it might have issues un-molding. But I've made creme caramels before and they stay in the fridge until service and they un-mold just fine.

jmeeker@eGullet.org

#49 jsmeeker

jsmeeker
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:12 PM

chocoflanwhole.jpg

Chocoflan whole

chocoflancut.jpg

Cut into a slice

The center of the cake wasn't baked enough. You can see the flan at the tip is runny. Also, I think there might have been too thick of a layer of cajeta. Still, this was a big hit.

jmeeker@eGullet.org

#50 flourgirl

flourgirl
  • participating member
  • 145 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

Shark Attack! My friend Henry is a SCUBA diver, and his lovely wife and son specifically requested this. I have to say, it's the first time I've ever decorated a cake where blood and gore were not only requested, but kind of necessary.... :raz: Building the shark head with its bit of diver out of gumpaste was probably the most fun I've had all month. The cake underneath that IMBC is coconut chiffon, with a cherry filling.

HenryCake1.jpg
HenryCake2.jpg
HenryCake3.jpg
HenryCake4.jpg

Awesome! I love it!

#51 Nathalie

Nathalie
  • participating member
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:48 PM

I made some banana ice cream the other day, using my own recipe. Turned out rather well.Posted Image

#52 flourgirl

flourgirl
  • participating member
  • 145 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:02 AM

OMG! I am so glad that ice cream is not in my house...YUM!!!

#53 Nathalie

Nathalie
  • participating member
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:30 AM

Most of it is actually still in the freezer! Saving it for tomorrow's new years dessert, going to eat it with chocolate sauce, meringues, whipped cream and sliced bananas.

#54 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:54 AM

chocoflanwhole.jpg

Chocoflan whole

chocoflancut.jpg

Cut into a slice

The center of the cake wasn't baked enough. You can see the flan at the tip is runny. Also, I think there might have been too thick of a layer of cajeta. Still, this was a big hit.

Very nice Jeff. Looks tasty. Is "too much cajeta" even possible? :biggrin:
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#55 deensiebat

deensiebat
  • participating member
  • 203 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

Totally in love with David Leite's Portuguese sweet lemon and olive cookies. Salty-sweet-briny-punchy -- perfect way to wean off the sugary/buttery holiday sweets.

Posted Image

#56 flourgirl

flourgirl
  • participating member
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:06 AM

They look good! The recipes sounds almost healthy.

#57 keychris

keychris
  • participating member
  • 189 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

Chocolate mud cake with strawberry ganache filled chocolates and fresh strawberries. 21st birthday cake (& our present!) for my brother-in-law's girlfriend (Her name begins with 'M' hence the chocolates :))

Posted Image

Posted Image

#58 deensiebat

deensiebat
  • participating member
  • 203 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

They look good! The recipes sounds almost healthy.

Totally. Olives, dairy-free, citrus. I may as well be salad.

@keychris Beautiful cake! That would totally make my birthday.

#59 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

Chocolate mud cake with strawberry ganache filled chocolates and fresh strawberries. 21st birthday cake (& our present!) for my brother-in-law's girlfriend (Her name begins with 'M' hence the chocolates :))

Oh my! She is going to be overwhelmed when she sees that wonderful cake.
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#60 merstar

merstar
  • participating member
  • 948 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

I made this again, using 2 layers of sponge cake instead of ladyfingers. Love this cake!
Mexican Chocolate Icebox Cake
http://www.epicuriou...box-Cake-101955

Edited by merstar, 05 January 2013 - 12:05 PM.

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.