Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Your Daily Sweets: What are you making and baking? (2012–2014)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
571 replies to this topic

#511 pquinene

pquinene
  • society donor
  • 85 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:07 AM

The pithivier I baked yesterday was so delish. I used the recipe in Jacques Torres's book, Dessert Circus. My only problem is that the almond cream deflated. Any tips on how to prevent this? At any rate, it was still awesome!

Your desserts look great!  For the almond cream, it may depend on your recipe.  Are you doing the typical 1:1:1:1 almond:butter:sugar:egg ratio?  One of the problems may be overbeating it.  It doesn't have any flour to hold the shape, so it can collapse very easily.

For pithiviers and galettes des rois, I normally take the almond cream and mix it with an equal weight of pastry cream.  It's much less dense and it stays moist and creamy.

Also, to avoid the pithivier puffing up like that, you can use a fork and dock it all over.  I used to do that for the galettes, you seriously puncture each one then let it chill overnight and they tend to stay flat during baking.  

Thank you so much for the tips! I'll puncture the top next time. At any rate, it was so delicious and was gone by the evening!

#512 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:12 AM

I know what you mean, there are things that I see other people doing and have to prevent myself from saying anything about. 

That's probably something I should adopt. "It looks and sounds awesome" was sufficient without further embellishment.

I recommend trying caramelized coconut though, the texture is completely different.  If you want, I'll PM you the recipe I use.

I'd love to see it.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#513 Franci

Franci
  • participating member
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:40 AM

Petit beurre for the children. I regret not buying the cutter when we were still living in Monaco.image.jpg
  • demiglace, emmalish and rajoress like this

#514 emmalish

emmalish
  • participating member
  • 904 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:48 PM

Another update of things I've been baking since before Christmas. I'm going to try to post these more often – I had no idea it'd been so long!

So, as part of my Christmas baking, I made these walnut shortbread. They're a really nice cookie, but look nothing like the photo in the book. 

walnut-shortbread-eG-6727.jpg

Also part of my Christmas baking were these jam thumbprints from the Gourmet Cookie book.

jam-thumbprint-cookies-eG-6765.jpg

I took a break from baking after this and didn't make anything until mid-January when I made these chocolate cranberry spice cookies. My coworkers all liked them, but I think I was expecting more of a punch of flavour from these cookies. I think they'd be better with dark chocolate instead of the white.

chocolate-cranberry-spice-cookies-eG-6868.jpg

Next up were these brown sugar pecan cookies. Now THIS is a good cookie. And dead simple to make. I gave the recipe to one of my coworkers and she made some with chocolate chips added. Even better!

brown-sugar-pecan-cookies-eG-6847.jpg

Then I made these chewy chocolate gingerbread cookies from Martha Stewart. These are usually part of my Christmas baking every year, but because I'm trying to make new recipes, these got bumped. I was getting so many requests that I had to make them, though. This is one of my all-time favourite cookie recipes.

chocolate-ginger-cookies-eG-6910.jpg

Then I made some milk chocolate orange cookies, which is a variation on a recipe I've made a couple times before, always with good results. 

milk-chocolate-orange-cookies-eG-6995.jpg

Then, because we were into February, I had to make some heart cookies. I tried a new sugar cookie recipe for these and was really happy with the way they turned out. They held their shape beautifully and had a nice soft, tender texture.

soft-sugar-cookies-eG-7026.jpg

Still in the heart theme, I had to try out my new linzer cookie cutters (I get way too excited about new cookie cutters). You can see I went a little overboard with the jam (oops).

linzer-cookies-eG-7111.jpg

• demiglace, Franci, Darienne and 3 others like this

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

#515 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:34 AM

emmalish - beautiful cookies!  Especially the Valentine's heart cookies.  I've been on a quest to find a sugar cooky that will hold it's edges when cooked and these sound perfect.  I've printed the recipe and can't wait to try them.  Your decoration is lovely, too!

• emmalish likes this

#516 Matthew Kirshner

Matthew Kirshner
  • participating member
  • 80 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:37 AM

Another update of things I've been baking since before Christmas. I'm going to try to post these more often – I had no idea it'd been so long!

So, as part of my Christmas baking, I made these walnut shortbread. They're a really nice cookie, but look nothing like the photo in the book. 

attachicon.gifwalnut-shortbread-eG-6727.jpg

Also part of my Christmas baking were these jam thumbprints from the Gourmet Cookie book.

attachicon.gifjam-thumbprint-cookies-eG-6765.jpg

I took a break from baking after this and didn't make anything until mid-January when I made these chocolate cranberry spice cookies. My coworkers all liked them, but I think I was expecting more of a punch of flavour from these cookies. I think they'd be better with dark chocolate instead of the white.

attachicon.gifchocolate-cranberry-spice-cookies-eG-6868.jpg

Next up were these brown sugar pecan cookies. Now THIS is a good cookie. And dead simple to make. I gave the recipe to one of my coworkers and she made some with chocolate chips added. Even better!

attachicon.gifbrown-sugar-pecan-cookies-eG-6847.jpg

Then I made these chewy chocolate gingerbread cookies from Martha Stewart. These are usually part of my Christmas baking every year, but because I'm trying to make new recipes, these got bumped. I was getting so many requests that I had to make them, though. This is one of my all-time favourite cookie recipes.

attachicon.gifchocolate-ginger-cookies-eG-6910.jpg

Then I made some milk chocolate orange cookies, which is a variation on a recipe I've made a couple times before, always with good results. 

attachicon.gifmilk-chocolate-orange-cookies-eG-6995.jpg

Then, because we were into February, I had to make some heart cookies. I tried a new sugar cookie recipe for these and was really happy with the way they turned out. They held their shape beautifully and had a nice soft, tender texture.

attachicon.gifsoft-sugar-cookies-eG-7026.jpg

Still in the heart theme, I had to try out my new linzer cookie cutters (I get way too excited about new cookie cutters). You can see I went a little overboard with the jam (oops).

attachicon.giflinzer-cookies-eG-7111.jpg

Emmalish,  those are some beautiful pictures, not to mention the treats look amazing!!

#517 rajoress

rajoress
  • participating member
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:26 PM

Gorgeous cookies!

#518 emmalish

emmalish
  • participating member
  • 904 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:37 PM

Thanks you guys! Kim, I'm always looking for good cookie cutter recipes too - this sugar cookie one is definitely a good one. I have a crunchy recipe that also holds its shape, but I like the texture of this one better.

wanna come with?

#519 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:41 PM

Thanks you guys! Kim, I'm always looking for good cookie cutter recipes too - this sugar cookie one is definitely a good one. I have a crunchy recipe that also holds its shape, but I like the texture of this one better.

I'd love to have the crunchy one, too, please ma'am!

#520 emmalish

emmalish
  • participating member
  • 904 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:13 PM

I'd love to have the crunchy one, too, please ma'am!

For you? The world...

http://wannacomewith...-sugar-cookies/

:wink:

wanna come with?

#521 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,171 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:17 AM

image.jpg

Fudgy brownies.
  • Toliver, demiglace, emmalish and 1 other like this
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#522 chopperreed

chopperreed
  • participating member
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:22 AM

IMG_0305_zps50e59d57.jpgIMG_0982_zpsa2ef7210.jpg

osmanthus and berry pannacotta and mixed flavoured macarons i made as a gift including the box. =)

• Anna N, demiglace, emmalish and 3 others like this

#523 DianaM

DianaM
  • participating member
  • 272 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:36 PM

Cranberry muffins, gluten- and dairy-free. I should have filled the liners more, and I did have some batter left over. But they were pretty tasty anyway.

image.jpg

#524 emmalish

emmalish
  • participating member
  • 904 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:36 PM

Cookies from the last couple of weeks:

First I made these Cinnamon Bun Cookies from the CIA Cookies at Home cookbook. I've only made 2 recipes from this book so far and I've loved them both. This cookie actually has a glaze on top, but I like the way they look pre-glaze better, when you can see how the cinnamon layer bubbles up in the oven. I've gotten a LOT of requests to make this one again.

cinnamon-bun-cookies-eG-7180.jpg

And then I made Flo's Chocolate Snaps from David Lebovitz's Ready for Dessert. I saw FrogPrincesse had posted in the thread dedicated to this book that she'd made these cookies and they didn't turn out "snappy" at all. Same here. They were actually quite soft and tender. But amazing flavour. Very chocolate-y! So I'm not really complaining.

chocolate-snaps-eG-7285.jpg

• rajoress and leonidas like this

wanna come with?

#525 cakewalk

cakewalk
  • participating member
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:54 PM

I made those chocolate snaps during Christmas, and they were the "sleeper" hits of all the cookies. They do need to be baked a minute or two past the time you think they're ready in order to get that snap. It's hard to tell with chocolate. My first batch wasn't "snappy." I thought they weren't so good the day they were made, they were just sort of "meh." But the next day they were unbelievable -- snappy with a very deep chocolate flavor. They were the first cookies to vanish. (But I have to say, yours are much nicer looking than mine were!)

#526 emmalish

emmalish
  • participating member
  • 904 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:57 PM

I made those chocolate snaps during Christmas, and they were the "sleeper" hits of all the cookies. They do need to be baked a minute or two past the time you think they're ready in order to get that snap. It's hard to tell with chocolate. My first batch wasn't "snappy." I thought they weren't so good the day they were made, they were just sort of "meh." But the next day they were unbelievable -- snappy with a very deep chocolate flavor. They were the first cookies to vanish. (But I have to say, yours are much nicer looking than mine were!)

Good to know! Did yours spread out at all, or hold their shape like mine did? And did you slice yours the 1/2" thick like the recipe states? I found that if I sliced 1/4", they turned out snappier. But I ended up slicing them a bit thicker than that. Sorry for the barrage of questions :-)

And I agree about the deep flavour. With flavour like this? I don't really care what the texture is.

• demiglace likes this

wanna come with?

#527 cakewalk

cakewalk
  • participating member
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:34 AM

Good to know! Did yours spread out at all, or hold their shape like mine did? And did you slice yours the 1/2" thick like the recipe states? I found that if I sliced 1/4", they turned out snappier. But I ended up slicing them a bit thicker than that. Sorry for the barrage of questions :-)

And I agree about the deep flavour. With flavour like this? I don't really care what the texture is.

I don't remember them spreading at all, they just sort of hung out in the oven without much of a reaction (which always makes me nervous). I sliced them around 1/4" -- for me 1/2" is too thick, I'll even change shortbread and biscotti recipes that call for 1/2" cookies. (I like thin and crisp, I try to rework recipes so I can roll the dough to 1/8".) I remember that this recipe made a ton of cookies, I think I had four logs of cookie dough in the freezer. I think I need to mix up another batch.

• emmalish likes this

#528 emmalish

emmalish
  • participating member
  • 904 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:03 AM

I don't remember them spreading at all, they just sort of hung out in the oven without much of a reaction (which always makes me nervous). I sliced them around 1/4" -- for me 1/2" is too thick, I'll even change shortbread and biscotti recipes that call for 1/2" cookies. (I like thin and crisp, I try to rework recipes so I can roll the dough to 1/8".) I remember that this recipe made a ton of cookies, I think I had four logs of cookie dough in the freezer. I think I need to mix up another batch.

I think we're cookie soul-mates… 

Thanks for that update. I'm going to make an edit to my blog post with this info. :-)

wanna come with?

#529 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:44 AM

emmalish – thanks for the recipe link!  And then you post two more cookies that look and sound so incredibly good.  I’m printing out those recipes (and cakewalk’s notes) now!

Edited by Kim Shook, 05 March 2014 - 11:45 AM.

• emmalish likes this

#530 DianaM

DianaM
  • participating member
  • 272 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:46 PM

Just a genoise baked in a pretty mould.

image.jpg
  • demiglace, emmalish, Blether and 5 others like this

#531 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,460 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:51 PM

that looks so delicious

its asking for some heavy whipped cream

#532 Max101

Max101
  • participating member
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:51 PM

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Fudgy brownies.

Those look delicious.  I have been craving a huge brownie full of nuts and with frosting.

#533 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:19 PM

I did a recipe test today for a possible Mother’s day dessert.  I tried a recipe for an embellished angel food cake that I found online.  It was angel food cake with coconut whipped cream and grapefruit syrup.  The whipped cream is made with the solids from a can of coconut milk.  I decided to garnish it with candied grapefruit peel.  Finished cake:

med_gallery_3331_119_136368.jpg

The whipped coconut cream didn’t make enough to ice the sides, but I’m kind of liking the look of the un-iced sides.  Grapefruit syrup:

med_gallery_3331_119_102469.jpg

This stuff is delectable.  I could eat it with a spoon.  Slice with syrup drizzled over:

med_gallery_3331_119_101074.jpg

Seriously delicious.  Just the right balance of sweet and bitter.  Definitely going on the Mother’s day menu.

• demiglace, janeer, emmalish and 6 others like this

#534 christinachiu

christinachiu
  • participating member
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:20 AM

IMG_0982_zpsa2ef7210.jpg

osmanthus and berry pannacotta and mixed flavoured macarons i made as a gift including the box. =)

Hi chopperreed, would you mind telling me where did you get those boxes from? I am planning to give away macarons on my daughter's birthday and I couldn't find a transparent one like yours online! This is my other option though:

tumblr_n29g4v7j4P1qzzyclo1_500.jpg

image source: packqueen.com.au

I am not too sure about it yet but the presentation of your macarons is what I am trying to aim for. My daughter's birthday is a couple of months from now and I hope you can help!!

#535 emmalish

emmalish
  • participating member
  • 904 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:01 AM

Kim, that looks amazing and sounds delicious (citrus & coconut? swoon!). I love the look of the bare sides so you can actually see both the cake and the filling.

wanna come with?

#536 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,171 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:44 PM

A simple pound cake from Dorie Greenspan's Baking from My Home to Yours. My second attempt at pound cake this week. The other was binned. Kerry Beal helped trouble shoot.
  • Toliver, demiglace, Shelby and 1 other like this
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#537 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:11 AM

Emmalish - thank you!  I think I'm going to stick with the bare sides.  I like it and Jessica thinks that if the sides are iced, it will be too much.

Anna - I am a fairly accomplished home baker and the cake that always gives me trouble is pound cake!

#538 emmalish

emmalish
  • participating member
  • 904 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:30 PM

Apparently Kim and I are on the same wavelength. Last week I made these orange butter cookies topped with coconut:smile:

coconut-orange-butter-cookies-eG-7357.jpg

• Toliver, demiglace, Darienne and 1 other like this

wanna come with?

#539 chopperreed

chopperreed
  • participating member
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:21 PM

Hi chopperreed, would you mind telling me where did you get those boxes from? I am planning to give away macarons on my daughter's birthday and I couldn't find a transparent one like yours online! This is my other option though:

tumblr_n29g4v7j4P1qzzyclo1_500.jpg

image source: packqueen.com.au

I am not too sure about it yet but the presentation of your macarons is what I am trying to aim for. My daughter's birthday is a couple of months from now and I hope you can help!!

i actually bought the case from kmart, its not made for macarons but i made them fit and had to custom cut it a bit, i would recommend that box rectangular box its much better.  If you need help making them do not hesitate to ask!

• grammacake12 likes this

#540 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:24 AM

emmalish – I love the orange coconut cookies!  They are going in my ‘to try’ file.  Most all of the cookies in that file are from you!  I’ve got a big regional church ladies’ meeting that I have to make cookies for in May, so I’ll be testing out the chocolate snaps since the recipe makes so many.  Do you think that they would freeze well?

Made Coca-cola cake with coconut cream filling for a church potluck lunch yesterday.  I missed getting a shot of the whole cake and it’s too bad, because it was really attractive, for me!

med_gallery_3331_119_54601.jpg

This is the chocolate cake that the folks I used to work with called "That Cake".  When they requested "That Cake", I knew they meant the Coca-cola one!  People were scrambling to take some home!

• Toliver, demiglace, emmalish and 3 others like this