Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Your Daily Sweets: What are you making and baking? (2012–2014)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
571 replies to this topic

#481 judiu

judiu
  • participating member
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:27 PM

And no stickers or bug bites, either! %)
"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

#482 pquinene

pquinene
  • society donor
  • 97 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:24 AM

It's been snowing and freezing here in Holly Springs, NC. I made half a batch of champulado -- Guam chocolate rice pudding -- since I'm  the only one in my family who loves it. Low and behold, my husband and daughter had a change of heart. We're all out now, but it was good while it lasted. 

Champulado

champulado.jpg

• Toliver, judiu and demiglace like this

#483 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:56 AM

Kim, you say that like I never had one before...%) I love pepita kernels, they're salty and crispy. Could you sub in plain Chex mix or some such?

Checked with Mr. Kim and it turns out that I was mistaken.  No nut allergies - the guy just thinks that salty peanuts take away from the sweetness of the brownies.  Um..yeah, they sure as sh*t DO!  Without the peanuts they are toothachingly sweet!   :rolleyes:

• judiu likes this

#484 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 6,029 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:14 AM

Kim:  how to you get the thin layer on top of the Fluff ?  do you chill the brownies + Fluff first ?

what type of chocolate do you melt ?  double boiler ?  Microwave ?

#485 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:55 AM

rotuts - I just heat the fluff for about 30 seconds in the microwave, then spread it on the brownies right out of the oven with an offset spreader (this is where the peanuts get sprinkled on normally).  The chocolate is chopped and sprinkled on the fluff and then the whole thing goes into the oven again for a couple of minutes.  It melts almost immediately and gets spread with a spreader.

• judiu and rotuts like this

#486 Alleguede

Alleguede
  • participating member
  • 118 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:50 PM

For valentines day... A little bit of love...

Attached Images

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• judiu, demiglace, emmalish and 6 others like this

#487 jmacnaughtan

jmacnaughtan
  • participating member
  • 253 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:37 AM

Nice work, Alleguede!  Those hearts are great- did you make little 2-person ones, or are they large-scale entremets?  And I don't suppose you want to share your recipe for the red glaze?

#488 Alleguede

Alleguede
  • participating member
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:04 AM

The hearts are 2, 4 and 8 servings. The cake is an inaya chocolate mousse with morello compotée and pistachio biscuit.

The red glaze?

18 grs of gold bloom gelatine (soaked)
250 grs of white chocolate (zephyr, satin or ivoire, or ...)
50 grs dark chocolate
10 grs liposoluble red colour (pcb)
200 grs condensed milk

150 grs water
250 grs sugar
350 grs glucose

Soak the gelatine - Boil the water sugar and glucose. - put the gelatine with the condensed milk and colour - Pour the liquid on top - then pour on the chocolates. Hand blend to emulsify. You can strain it. Cover directly on contact (use a plastic tall and narrow container safe for microwave) Let sit overnight if possible. Use at 35c (33-37c depending on the thickness you want and stuff. 90 s in microwave should get you close). You can replace the color by any other, or the chocolate by any other but stay always in these proportions.
  • DianaM and leonidas like this

#489 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:33 AM

I'm very curious as to the flavours of the yellow one.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.
My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

#490 Alleguede

Alleguede
  • participating member
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:49 AM

Tropical mousse made with French meringue and cream and a banana mango cremeux, coconut dacquoise

#491 jmacnaughtan

jmacnaughtan
  • participating member
  • 253 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:14 AM

The hearts are 2, 4 and 8 servings. The cake is an inaya chocolate mousse with morello compotée and pistachio biscuit.

The red glaze?

18 grs of gold bloom gelatine (soaked)
250 grs of white chocolate (zephyr, satin or ivoire, or ...)
50 grs dark chocolate
10 grs liposoluble red colour (pcb)
200 grs condensed milk

150 grs water
250 grs sugar
350 grs glucose

Soak the gelatine - Boil the water sugar and glucose. - put the gelatine with the condensed milk and colour - Pour the liquid on top - then pour on the chocolates. Hand blend to emulsify. You can strain it. Cover directly on contact (use a plastic tall and narrow container safe for microwave) Let sit overnight if possible. Use at 35c (33-37c depending on the thickness you want and stuff. 90 s in microwave should get you close). You can replace the color by any other, or the chocolate by any other but stay always in these proportions.

Thanks for the recipe, I've been looking for a decent coloured glaze.  When you boil the sugar and the water, do you take it up to a specific °C, or just to dissolve the sugar? 

It looks great.

#492 Alleguede

Alleguede
  • participating member
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:27 AM

Just full boil. For the colours and gelatine, you can purchase them at bellouet conseil. Amoungst plenty of great things. Pm me if you want good addresses for some things.

#493 lapin d'or

lapin d'or
  • participating member
  • 309 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:32 PM

Chocolate Fig cake  from William Curley's book 'Couture Chocolate'. The cake has a mousse like texture almost and contains chopped figs that have been soaked overnight in a spiced red wine syrup. The recipes garnishes the mini loaves with hazelnuts but I only had pecans.

The recipe seemed complicated but the result was good.

Attached Images

• fig loaves cut fin.jpg

• demiglace, emmalish and rajoress like this

#494 DianaM

DianaM
  • participating member
  • 272 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:19 PM

They all look beautiful, and I bet they taste fantastic. I would have been very happy to receive any of those for V-day. :)

#495 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,998 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:02 PM

I got to tast

They all look beautiful, and I bet they taste fantastic. I would have been very happy to receive any of those for V-day. :)

I got to taste small versions of two of them - they were excellent!  The man knows how to combine appearance and flavour - a rare combination in pastries I find.  

• emmalish likes this

#496 DianaM

DianaM
  • participating member
  • 272 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:34 AM

I got to taste small versions of two of them - they were excellent!  The man knows how to combine appearance and flavour - a rare combination in pastries I find.

Ok, I am jealous now. :) I really want to visit Alleguede's shop soon. As soon as the weather lets up, Son and I will take a day trip to TO - looking forward to that!

#497 rajoress

rajoress
  • participating member
  • 76 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:36 PM

Those Valentine desserts look amazing! My birthday cake this year - I usually have some kind of chocolate cake in a heart-shaped pan (bday is 2/14) but this year I decided to do something different. This recipe was from Food & Wine and was for a triple chocolate truffle cake. Six layers of a thin brownie-like cake sandwiched in between white chocolate and dark chocolate ganache and the whole thing covered with chocolate buttercream. I have to say, even for the most ardent chocoholics, this cake was a little too rich. But it was better out of the fridge the next day! (pic of outside and inside)

Thanks for looking,
Ruth

Attached Images

• bday cake.jpg
  • bday cake1.jpg

• demiglace, Darienne and leonidas like this

#498 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,779 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:29 PM

I always make my own birthday cake and I think this year it might just be rajoress's pick.  Found it on Google.  Wonderful cake!  Will add some Grand Marnier to one of the fillings.  Might sub something for the white chocolate...don't know.   Thanks Rajoress.

• rajoress likes this
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#499 jmacnaughtan

jmacnaughtan
  • participating member
  • 253 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:03 AM

Asked to bring a dessert, but the host doesn't like chocolate, coffee, or much else.

Banana cream pie it is :)

Banana pie.jpg

Pâte sucrée shell

Banana crémeux

Banana bread

Dulce de leche

Vanilla chantilly

Caramelized/raw coconut

You can find the recipe for the first two components here (just sub the squash for banana), and I took the banana bread from Lesley C here.

Hopefully it'll go down well.

• Toliver, Franci, emmalish and 1 other like this

#500 pquinene

pquinene
  • society donor
  • 97 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:26 AM

I made latiya -- a Guam cinnamon and custard cake a few days ago. I also made crepes for breakfast yesterday. Pithivier is baking right now...looks wonderful and smells delicious!

Latiya

latiya_slice.jpg

Nutella crepes

closeup_crepes.jpg

Edited by pquinene, 22 February 2014 - 06:26 AM.

#501 pquinene

pquinene
  • society donor
  • 97 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:27 AM

Asked to bring a dessert, but the host doesn't like chocolate, coffee, or much else.

Banana cream pie it is :)

attachicon.gifBanana pie.jpg

Pâte sucrée shell

Banana crémeux

Banana bread

Dulce de leche

Vanilla chantilly

Caramelized/raw coconut

You can find the recipe for the first two components here (just sub the squash for banana), and I took the banana bread from Lesley C here.

Hopefully it'll go down well.

That looks great! Coconut makes many things delish too!!

#502 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,792 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:09 PM

I was thinking "that looks great but I don't want coconut on my banana cream pie". But that doesn't change the fact that it does indeed look and sound tasty... or the fact that it's not my banana cream pie.  :biggrin: 

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#503 jmacnaughtan

jmacnaughtan
  • participating member
  • 253 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:28 AM

I was thinking "that looks great but I don't want coconut on my banana cream pie". But that doesn't change the fact that it does indeed look and sound tasty... or the fact that it's not my banana cream pie.  :biggrin: 

Thanks.  I had the caramelized coconut hanging around from a failed marshmallow experiment, and thought it would work.  It makes a nice textural addition and the coconut flavor works well with the banana.  All that it needed was a little rum :)

It also reminds me of the little coconut covered teacakes we used to have in the UK.

#504 pquinene

pquinene
  • society donor
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:08 AM

Coconut really does go well with bananas. I made a coconut banana cream pudding using freshly grated coconut -- it was out-of-this-world! It's a bit hard to tell in the pic below, but I added the coconut to the pudding mixture.

Coconut Banana Cream Pudding

IMG_9008_2.jpg

Edited by pquinene, 23 February 2014 - 04:10 AM.

• demiglace and rotuts like this

#505 keychris

keychris
  • participating member
  • 205 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:09 AM

DSC_4838_zpsd7b3edd8.jpg

Chocolate fondant pudding with vanilla icecream and chocolate ganache. nomnomnom.

• demiglace likes this

#506 pquinene

pquinene
  • society donor
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:17 AM

The pithivier I baked yesterday was so delish. I used the recipe in Jacques Torres's book, Dessert Circus. My only problem is that the almond cream deflated. Any tips on how to prevent this? At any rate, it was still awesome!

whole_pithivier-2.jpg

open_pith-2.jpg

1_slc_pith-2_1.jpg

Edited by pquinene, 23 February 2014 - 06:18 AM.

• demiglace and emmalish like this

#507 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,792 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:10 AM

Coconut really does go well with bananas.

Yes it does. I definitely wasn't knocking anything about that pie. It looks awesome (his work always does) and I have no doubt it tastes awesome as well. The fault in what I said belongs entirely to me, I'm kinda picky when it comes to coconut. I like the flavor but I'm not a big fan of the texture in creamy settings. Entirely my weirdness, not a commentary on whether or not it should be used. :smile: 

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#508 jmacnaughtan

jmacnaughtan
  • participating member
  • 253 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:31 AM

Yes it does. I definitely wasn't knocking anything about that pie. It looks awesome (his work always does) and I have no doubt it tastes awesome as well. The fault in what I said belongs entirely to me, I'm kinda picky when it comes to coconut. I like the flavor but I'm not a big fan of the texture in creamy settings. Entirely my weirdness, not a commentary on whether or not it should be used. :smile: 

Haha, thanks for the compliment.  I know what you mean, there are things that I see other people doing and have to prevent myself from saying anything about. 

I recommend trying caramelized coconut though, the texture is completely different.  If you want, I'll PM you the recipe I use.

#509 jmacnaughtan

jmacnaughtan
  • participating member
  • 253 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:38 AM

The pithivier I baked yesterday was so delish. I used the recipe in Jacques Torres's book, Dessert Circus. My only problem is that the almond cream deflated. Any tips on how to prevent this? At any rate, it was still awesome!

Your desserts look great!  For the almond cream, it may depend on your recipe.  Are you doing the typical 1:1:1:1 almond:butter:sugar:egg ratio?  One of the problems may be overbeating it.  It doesn't have any flour to hold the shape, so it can collapse very easily.

For pithiviers and galettes des rois, I normally take the almond cream and mix it with an equal weight of pastry cream.  It's much less dense and it stays moist and creamy.

Also, to avoid the pithivier puffing up like that, you can use a fork and dock it all over.  I used to do that for the galettes, you seriously puncture each one then let it chill overnight and they tend to stay flat during baking.  

#510 pquinene

pquinene
  • society donor
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:06 AM

Oh no, no, no...I didn't interpret it as anything negative. I just wanted to share the love of coconut.....I love coconut :-)