Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Your Daily Sweets: What are you making and baking? (2012–2014)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
571 replies to this topic

#301 Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow
  • participating member
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:54 AM

Nice looking cookies!

I recently made little plated dessert: smoked buttermilk sorbet, blackberry cremeux, dulce de leche fluid gel, and cocoa nib crumble:

tumblr_msopg1VEK31rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

Baselard, can you direct me to a recipe for the smoked buttermilk sorbet? Thanks!

• judiu likes this

#302 Baselerd

Baselerd
  • participating member
  • 467 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:29 AM

To make the smoked buttermilk sorbet, I started with the sorbet base as directed from this recipe. I did not have the specific sorbet stabilizer they mention, so I used .25% xanthan gum and .15% bloomed gelatin by weight. Then, I let the base sit overnight in the fridge. To smoke it, I used this stovetop smoker. I put the cold sorbet base inside a shallow baking dish. Within the smoker, i placed 3-4 Tbsp of oak chips off to one side of the smoker and let it warm up on high. I placed a bunch of crushed ice in the inner smoker tray, and then placed the baking dish ontop of the ice. Once the setup started producing smoke, I placed the inner tray with the ice cream inside the smoker and closed it. I let it smoke for 30 minutes on medium-low heat, opening it once half way through to stir and make sure the base wasn't overcooked (it wasn't - the ice was still there too). I think it made a very nice flavor in the end.

120 g sugar

120 g glucose

60 g invert sugar

250 g whole milk

750 g buttermilk

3.25 g xanthan gum

1.95 g gelatin, bloomed

salt

Oak wood (for smoking)

#303 Genkinaonna

Genkinaonna
  • participating member
  • 577 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:55 PM

A friend's husband posted a picture of a cake shaped like a can of Budweiser on Facebook and tagged me in it...some people are SO subtle...lol...

Since I had less than 48 hours from Facebook post to birthday party, I went simple and cut the shape of the bottle out of a sheet cake rather than doing a three dimensional cake.  But I was REALLY happy with how the lettering turned out, I did it freehand with a paintbrush.  I generally get ALMOST to the end of a lettering project and then mess up the last letter!

Perfectionists will notice that some of the lettering on the label was omitted...I plead lack of time and the fact that my piping skills leave much to be desired...

session.jpeg

• judiu, curls and Steve Irby like this
If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

#304 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:34 PM

Never heard of Session but looks great and love the little 47 emblem
  • Genkinaonna likes this

#305 pquinene

pquinene
  • society donor
  • 97 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:58 AM

ALFAJORES

I attended a class by Sandra Gutierrez at A Southern Season in Chapel Hill, NC. She is the author of the cookbook, "Latin American Street Food." I used the alfajores recipe from her book. I love the cookies, not just because they are delicious, but because they remind me of the roskette cookies we make on Guam. Both goodies use plenty of cornstarch in addition to all-purpose flour. And then of course, there is the coconut -- born and raised on Guam, I love coconut! The filling is dulce de leche.

alfajores_tray.jpg

alfajores_bitten_1.jpg

Edited by pquinene, 20 September 2013 - 04:00 AM.

• judiu, Genkinaonna, emmalish and 2 others like this

#306 emmalish

emmalish
  • participating member
  • 928 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:48 PM

Paula, that cookie looks amazing! I want one.

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

#307 Rozin Abbas

Rozin Abbas
  • participating member
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:21 PM

@Baselerd, do you have a blog? If not, start one and you have one dedicated follower in me. I haven't started digging my heels into plated desserts yet but your stuff is wicked good. I've been looking for a bowl like that everywhere. Where did you get yours from?

Didn't like the turtle cheesecake recipes on the net (oreo crust? What?), so I ran with my own: Pecan-Graham Crust, Chocolate Swirled Cheesecake, Ganache, Salted Caramel, Roasted Pecans, and Chantilly Cream. 

Turtle-Cheesecake1.jpg

Turtle-Cheesecake.jpg

Edited by Rozin Abbas, 26 September 2013 - 08:21 PM.

• judiu and Steve Irby like this

#308 Baselerd

Baselerd
  • participating member
  • 467 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:01 AM

@Baselerd, do you have a blog? If not, start one and you have one dedicated follower in me. I haven't started digging my heels into plated desserts yet but your stuff is wicked good. I've been looking for a bowl like that everywhere. Where did you get yours from?

Thanks for the compliments - I do put photos of some of my food at this link. I don't really write anything on it though. I actually got those bowls at World Market (link), and they were only $4 each. I like them because you can use them as a plate or bowl, and have a nice modern look to them.

That cheesecake looks great too, btw.

Edited by Baselerd, 27 September 2013 - 07:01 AM.

#309 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:33 PM

Cheesecakes and architectural jellies, here.

Chscakes.jpg

Frutimora.jpg

JelloCubes.jpg

• judiu and flourgirl like this
Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.
My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

#310 prasantrin

prasantrin
  • legacy participant
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:15 PM

Do you have your recipes up anywhere? While I know whatever I made wouldn't look nearly as delicious, I can hope that it would taste as delicious as that looks!

Didn't like the turtle cheesecake recipes on the net (oreo crust? What?), so I ran with my own: Pecan-Graham Crust, Chocolate Swirled Cheesecake, Ganache, Salted Caramel, Roasted Pecans, and Chantilly Cream.

#311 Baselerd

Baselerd
  • participating member
  • 467 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:21 AM

Me or Rozin?

#312 Rozin Abbas

Rozin Abbas
  • participating member
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:42 AM

Do you have your recipes up anywhere? While I know whatever I made wouldn't look nearly as delicious, I can hope that it would taste as delicious as that looks!

If you're talking to me then my cheesecake:

http://thesocraticco...tle-cheesecake/

I noticed some grammatical errors (ugh!), so excuse those.

If you weren't talking to me ... well, shameless plug.

Edited by Rozin Abbas, 30 September 2013 - 07:43 AM.

#313 teonzo

teonzo
  • participating member
  • 142 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:03 PM

canapasativa_rosa_elicriso.jpg

This is one of my last experiments, I called it "Hippie Cannon" ("Cannone Hippie" in Italian, "cannone" means both "cannon" and "joint").

I found on sale a package of flour made from cannabis sativa seeds, this flour is legit in Italy because it doesn't have psychotropic effects. So I bought it out of curiosity and thought about making a cannolo / fake joint. Since in Italian they are called "cannoni" they recalled me the hippie saying "put flowers in your cannons", so I decided to fill it with a flower-flavoured cream. I tasted some pairings and rose was the best one. Then I decided to add a sort of "flower field", looking like the cannon is shooting out a flower field. It's made with the "soil" technique using the cannabis sativa flour. Underneath the soil there is a helicrysum jelly, I think it pairs really well with rose and that flour. The garnishes are rose buds, rosemary flowers and some helicrysum branches. I would have liked to put a lot of edible flowers of different colours (just to make a rainbow and insist on the hippie concept), but unfortunately I did not have them on hand.

I have to admit I laughed quite a bit while realizing this dessert, loved the dual joke fake joint / cannon shooting a flower field. Disclaimer: I never smoked in my life and I'm against drugs.

If you think I re-used some ideas from Jordi Roca and Albert Adria then you are totally correct.

Teo

• judiu likes this
My new blog: http://www.teonzo.com/

#314 chefian

chefian
  • participating member
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:10 PM

pretzBP.jpg

Pretzel and chocolate bread pudding with smoked salt caramel ice cream and chocolat nib tuile

Edited by chefian, 01 October 2013 - 12:11 PM.

• judiu and flourgirl like this

#315 Baselerd

Baselerd
  • participating member
  • 467 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:02 PM

Very cool Teo - how does the "special" flour taste?

#316 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 6,072 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:26 PM

chefian

Oooooooooooo!

Im a student of Bread Pudding.

Id Die for a taste of yours!

would you share the Rx?

#317 teonzo

teonzo
  • participating member
  • 142 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:04 PM

how does the "special" flour taste?

I would say it tastes like a crossing between hay and chicory. I don't know if the taste is similar to the smoked stuff, I don't suppose so since the flour is made from the seeds, while people smoke the leaves. I'll ask to one of my smoking friends next time I'll see him/her.

Teo

My new blog: http://www.teonzo.com/

#318 pastrygirl

pastrygirl
  • society donor
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:22 PM

Working on a couple of new menu items... favorites today are chevre panna cotta with huckleberry compote, rosemary infused honey, and pecan tuile. Also, dark chocolate cremeaux with Fernet Branca zabaglione and double chocolate cookies. Fernet & dark chocolate - try it!!!
  • judiu likes this

#319 Baselerd

Baselerd
  • participating member
  • 467 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:04 AM

Those desserts sound great! I recently put together a dessert: strawberry-goat's milk ice cream, vanilla cremeux, vanila-poached rhubarb (sous vide), vanilla shortbread crumble, basil fluid gel, crispy rhubarb (poached in vanilla syrup sous vide, then roasted at 220F for ~1 hour). The only problem was the transfer of the basil to the ice water bath after blanching - I guess I waited too long and the color faded to dark green. At least it still tasted delicious.

`tumblr_mu5att1mEx1rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

Edited by Baselerd, 04 October 2013 - 07:06 AM.

• judiu likes this

#320 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 3,031 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:42 PM

emmalish – those lemon-poppy seed cookies look and sound delicious.  One of my favorite combinations, too.  Thanks for giving the recipe link. I’ve printed it and will give it a try when I can!

A couple of recent desserts – the first is a chocolate éclair cake from Cook’s Country:

med_gallery_3331_172_124076.jpg

This dessert has been a guilty pleasure for years at potlucks and office lunches.  This version is made with a from-scratch custard and chocolate glaze and it makes a world of difference in the flavor.

I also did a Blueberry Breakfast Cake:

med_gallery_3331_119_114531.jpg

The recipe is from a friend who got it from Pinterest, I think.  We still have a couple of gallons of blueberries that we picked and I stuffed a good 2 cups into this cake!  Delicious.

Sunday I made Ruhlman’s angel food cake for a family birthday celebration.  It was a special request (angel food cake is Mr. Kim’s traditional family favorite) and just evaporated! 

med_gallery_3331_119_197132.jpg

Served with a choice of blueberry sauce or caramel sauce.

• judiu, Shelby and curls like this

#321 merstar

merstar
  • participating member
  • 948 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:49 PM

I made my favorite deep dark Devil's Food Cake, filled and frosted with a chocolate ganache.  Adapted from Chocolatier Magazine.

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

#322 pjm333

pjm333
  • participating member
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:42 PM

Apple Tarte Tatin

Attached Images

• tatin22.jpg

• judiu likes this

#323 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,123 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:09 PM

I got a very large butternut squash in my CSA so I made David Lebovitz's butternut squash pie. I used a 10-inch pan this time and ended up with just a small excess of filling.

10414534853_bd6c015228_z.jpg

#324 merstar

merstar
  • participating member
  • 948 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:26 PM

I made this for the upteenth time with some tweaks. My favorite coffee cake!

STREUSEL TOPPED TRIPLE BERRY COFFEE CAKE

http://www.food.com/...ffee-cake-47953

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

#325 Baselerd

Baselerd
  • participating member
  • 467 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:54 AM

I recently made a plated dessert, kind of inspired by the Ben'n'Jerries Chunky Monkey flavor:

-Banana ice cream

-Soft chocolate dome (milk + sugar + agar + dark chocolate)

-Walnut brown butter powder (finely chopped toasted walnuts, brown butter, walnut oil, n-zorbit maltodextrin, powdered sugar, salt)

-Whipped vanilla creme fraiche

-Puffed pastry

tumblr_mv6crc91oU1rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

Edited by Baselerd, 24 October 2013 - 06:54 AM.

• judiu likes this

#326 pjm333

pjm333
  • participating member
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:33 AM

Caramel Chocolate Tarts !

Attached Images

• caramel44.jpg

• judiu and emmalish like this

#327 pjm333

pjm333
  • participating member
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:34 AM

Lemon Mousse Cake !

Attached Images

• lemon89.jpg

• judiu and Steve Irby like this

#328 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 10,030 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:09 AM

IMG_0863.jpg

Look at this beautiful buttercream!  It's duck eggs, my own home made butter - and the most important ingredient - the patience to wait until the egg mousse cooled sufficiently before adding the butter.  Not something that I often get right!

IMG_0865.jpg

I'll use it later to assemble two small layer cakes (even though it doesn't really show - these are about 6 inches).  It's my dad's 95th birthday tomorrow - and he allowed as he'd enjoy a chocolate cake.

• judiu, emmalish, Chocolot and 1 other like this

#329 RobertM

RobertM
  • participating member
  • 477 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:45 PM

Kerry - Bee-U-T-Ful! And a Happy Birthday to your Dad...!!!
  • judiu likes this

#330 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:58 PM

Looks good Kerry. And I agree, the best present for someone turning 95 is whatever they damn-well want! :biggrin: I made Michael Laiskonis' Condensed Milk Ice Cream today using the Dulce de Leche Eagle Brand instead of the original. It's nice with a not-too-overbearing caramel flavor that would probably go really well with that cake. I'd suggest a 50/50 swap but I don't think it's quite cold enough to ship ice cream yet...

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.